Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Mona-by-the-Sea, Day 3

Every Christmas Mona and her family heads to the movies. It doesn't have to be a Christmas movie necessarily (you won't find us going to see things like "Christmas with the Kranks", although my Dad and I did re-watch Chevy Chase in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" this year and crack up). Tonight we went with "The Family Stone" and loved it. What a great family AND holiday movie. It has it all: laughs, tears, smiles, and warmth of the holiday season. And Sarah Jessica Parker was great. I was never fully impressed with her Carrie on "Sex and the City" but loved her playing Meredith in this movie, not to mention adorable Dermot Mulroney and Luke Wilson.

Today was a day for jogging off some Christmas delights, catching up on some emails, and heading down to Big Sur with Mom and Dad (little brother had to work today). We had a late lunch at the Big Sur River Inn and it was well worth the 45 minute ride to get there. When in doubt, Big Sur is always worth the drive. No matter how many times you've driven it, as my Mom pointed out, something is always different from your last visit.



I have three words for you: fried artichoke hearts. I saw these on the menu and insisted on ordering them, as they're a popular CA treat. These were like corn fritters but with a warm soft artichoke heart inside, and are the food highlight of my California Christmas so far. I know what you must be thinking. But simple pleasures for simple minds:)



What you can't tell from the picture is we had already snatched two or three of them off the plate and Mom was nice enough to rearrange them so the remaining artichoke hearts were nice and symmetrical for a picture. Thanks Mom :)

12 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

MMMM yummy, I love ANYTHING with an artichoke...fry it, bake it, roll it in mudd for a face mask!I just got a new artichoke Lasagna recipe that I cant wait to try!

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lucky, lucky girl! I love Carmel and Big Sur -- they are such special places. Enjoy every minute and share what's happening.

12:12 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ha, roll it in mud Indy, you're too funny! You better post that artichoke lasagna recipe for me :)

Janice, hello! Hope you had a very Merry Christmas. I will definitely keep you posted as to what's happening. Heading out for a brisk walk with mom. We were planning on heading to the beach but it's high tide and there is no beach:)

12:14 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Yum. I discovered the pleasures of artichoke hearts a few months ago, but fried...double-y good.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ha yes, double the fun and pleasure :)

2:32 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

Hey now, I happened to have WATCHED Christmas with the Kranks this weekend, along with Surviving Christmas! ;) Glad to hear The Family Stone got a good review ... I love SJP. They actually filmed parts of that movie in a town I lived in for 10+ years (and still visit often).

9:21 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

AAAAH! No WAY!! Sweetnicks that is too funny. Aw man, I hope we can still be friends. I was totally being sillly and stupid. I mean, come on, I'm sure if I can watch and laugh my butt off during N.L's Xmas Vacation I would love Xmas with the Kranks :)
We waited for the credits to see where the movie was filmed. It was so New Englad!

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom sounds like the best! I want to taste some of those artichokes.

Paz

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those artichoke hearts sound yummy! And thanks for the little review of The Family Stone :) Love hearing about your "by-the-sea" adventures :)

6:34 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Paz, ha, yes she is. And guess what, since she doesn't know poop about computers or internet or email (doesn't use either) I printed her out a copy of my blog so she could read it-she was so psyched;)

Joey, ha, thanks:) I couldn't resist plugging it I liked it so much. I'm so sad I'm back in NYC at work-ah! Take me back to the sea!!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mona. I LOVED Christmas w/the Kranks and NL Chrismtas Vacation!! Also, those fried artichoke hearts sound delicious! I love all things fried....Appetizers are one of the best parts of the meal, aren't they?

Are you back in NYC? Happy 2006! You don't have to work do you? Love, Malibu

5:21 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Maliboooo-hooo!
What's up girlie?
I'm working this weekend. Yes I am. But what the heck, I don't have to be in until 11 or noon so oh well. I do really need to get on with working a regular Mon-Fri gig. My cousin's up from NC and we're having a blast...not stopping us from doing something fun.I think we're headed to Dovydas's apt for New Years-should be interesting:) What are your plans? Happy New Year to you all in VA! Am watching the game right now-and we caught up and it's tie!!! Yahoo!

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.