TDOC in reverse-Day 8
Mona is tired today.
It's her Saturday and she just walked 60 blocks with laundry and her laptop to get to Grand Central, where she could hop on the one means of transportation that was working in the city today-good ol' Metro North. Who knows how long the goodness will last but it was quite the scene in New York. A strike like this hasn't happened in 25 years! I walked down the street of Fifth Avenue (not on the sidewalk but on the actual street) for about fifteen minutes and could almost see clear all the way down to the southernmost tip of Manhattan. No subways were working but I couldn't figure out where all the cars had gone either.
I normally wouldn't do this but since my snack was so good, I have to post about it before I get on with TDOC. Winette at work has been raving about this soup she eats once or twice a week. When I heard Dishes is in Grand Central I knew I had to find it before I hopped on the train. And bingo! There it was smack dab in the middle of the dining concourse level at GCS. I ordered the pumpkin corn bisque and it is arguably one of the best soups I have ever had. Thick pumpkin and corn flavors danced in my head for a good solid three minutes as I spooned it down. I could see the woman smiling across from me on the train out of the corner of my eye because she could tell how happy it made me. Go check it out and tell me about it.
"On the eighth day of Christmas my true love sent to me....EIGHT TURKISH GRINDERS,
seven "O" wine tumblers,
six picnic baskets,
five c-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-pper pots,
four wi-ine chill-ers,
three pink champagne cans,
two Jenn Attrezzis,
and a cool coffee-makin' Keurig!
Today I went with the Turkish Brass Pepper Mill (the picture isn't that great but there are other varities out there) because I think every full-service kitchen and restaurant should have one. The plastic mills just don't get the job done. And since I'm such a pepper snob, I felt it had to be on my gift list. I am extremely turned off at restaurants when servers don't offer fresh ground pepper. And I will make a point of asking for it if they neglect my dish of its pepper frosting. Unlike the other massive gifts I've listed so far, you can use this little grinda' as a stocking stuffer.
This pepper mill goes to my dad. Because he's the one who got me started on the pepper train...and I haven't fallen off since I sprayed my first salad with it some several years ago.
Fresh ground pepper anyone?
It's her Saturday and she just walked 60 blocks with laundry and her laptop to get to Grand Central, where she could hop on the one means of transportation that was working in the city today-good ol' Metro North. Who knows how long the goodness will last but it was quite the scene in New York. A strike like this hasn't happened in 25 years! I walked down the street of Fifth Avenue (not on the sidewalk but on the actual street) for about fifteen minutes and could almost see clear all the way down to the southernmost tip of Manhattan. No subways were working but I couldn't figure out where all the cars had gone either.
I normally wouldn't do this but since my snack was so good, I have to post about it before I get on with TDOC. Winette at work has been raving about this soup she eats once or twice a week. When I heard Dishes is in Grand Central I knew I had to find it before I hopped on the train. And bingo! There it was smack dab in the middle of the dining concourse level at GCS. I ordered the pumpkin corn bisque and it is arguably one of the best soups I have ever had. Thick pumpkin and corn flavors danced in my head for a good solid three minutes as I spooned it down. I could see the woman smiling across from me on the train out of the corner of my eye because she could tell how happy it made me. Go check it out and tell me about it.
"On the eighth day of Christmas my true love sent to me....EIGHT TURKISH GRINDERS,

seven "O" wine tumblers,
six picnic baskets,
five c-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-pper pots,
four wi-ine chill-ers,
three pink champagne cans,
two Jenn Attrezzis,
and a cool coffee-makin' Keurig!
Today I went with the Turkish Brass Pepper Mill (the picture isn't that great but there are other varities out there) because I think every full-service kitchen and restaurant should have one. The plastic mills just don't get the job done. And since I'm such a pepper snob, I felt it had to be on my gift list. I am extremely turned off at restaurants when servers don't offer fresh ground pepper. And I will make a point of asking for it if they neglect my dish of its pepper frosting. Unlike the other massive gifts I've listed so far, you can use this little grinda' as a stocking stuffer.
This pepper mill goes to my dad. Because he's the one who got me started on the pepper train...and I haven't fallen off since I sprayed my first salad with it some several years ago.
Fresh ground pepper anyone?



10 Comments:
Sorry about the strike. My sympathy is with the workers, but I don't know the whole story I'm sure.
Oy, Kalyn. I don't have the sympathy you do:-) I guess if you see the workers, day in and day out when you ride the subway, and see how they just SIT around(instead of doing their job), then you wouldn't either. Plus, it's illegal for them to do so. But anyway this isn't the forum to discuss the issue.
Mona--I'm sorry you had to walk so much with all that stuff. However, it must have been some sight to see 5th ave like that. I'm in the midst of finals (my last one is tomorrow, hurray!) and had to find emergency housing near campus, but a friend came through for me, whew!
Next time I go to GC I'm definitely going to check that soup. I love soups, especially now since its so cold.
Hey Kalyn, no worries:) We all have our own opinions about this stuff. The thing that stinks is this strike is costing the city $400 million dollars a day...and right before Christmas it's not fun for anyone.
Rose, I'm right there with ya dahling. I read a story in the Times about how much these jokers make and I died, fell off my rocker, bit my lip, you know...that kind of thing. It's sickening for what they actually DO or in this case DON'T do...Yah seeing 5th was cool. I felt like I was in that movie Vanilla Sky, when Tom Cruise is walking in Times Square all by himself (I think it was that movie). Your in the middle of finals?? You must have gotten the crappy schedule this semester. Aren't you supposed to be going home?? I hope they are going well for you!! Happy Holidays to you and your family!
On a non-strike related note...I can't wait to try Dishes. Not far from my office, so I'll pop in for lunch.
I need a decent espresso/cap machine--any suggestions?
I have to chime in with a vote for Dishes grilled cheese sandwich! It's served with harissa sauce and cooked in a panini press - it's totally addictive.
EastSideGirl, haaaa, yay I'm glad you 'll give it a try. Let me know
and
Mebeth, shoot! Wish I had known about the cheese sandwich. I would have gotten both:)
Sorry about the strike, Mona -- not exactly what you need the week before Christmas. I'm a pepper freak too and this is a perfect gift for any kitchen.
Paz, oh wow I had no idea there was an original Spanish version. That's so annoying. I feel before every remake of a film they should acknowledge the title of the original, so us movie-goers are in the know. Are things any better today? I'm hiding out in CT until tomomrrow morning-ha :) No, seriously I came out here so I could have a car and do some Christmas shopping :) I think I 'll treat myself to some good food anyway!
Janice, yay! Good, I'm glad you feel me on the pepper grinder. Can you believe Christmas is 4 days away!?! AAH!
Pepper? Yes, please!
At least you are getting in your exercise, right? :)
Oh I know S'kat! And today I'm trying to motivate in CT to go for a jog and having a very hard time:)
Post a Comment
<< Home