Saturday, December 10, 2005

My Favorite Eats

I'm it!
I'm it!
Cookiecrumb of I'm Mad and I Eat fame tagged me for the "You Are What You Eat: 10 Favorite Foods" meme and I've spent the past couple of days thinking about it.
In reading other bloggers' entries I found most of the chosen foods were single items. Instead of picking a fruit or a vegetable or a meat or a cheese, I went with my favorite dishes. So, if I had 10 days to live, I'd go out with a bang and these 10 meals.
Sadly none of the pictures are mine :(

In no particular order:

steak au poivre with frites , from the days of living in Chatou, France














raclette , from the skiing village of Zermatt




















ravioli , just because

















sesame chicken with brown rice , from Chef Chu's
















thin crust pepperoni pizza , my half Italian side


















French onion soup, from French bistros




















avocados with a spoon and some salt, a favorite snack












goat cheese toasts ......













on a warm spinach salad
















macaroni and cheese , homemade or Kraft

















cajun-fried catfish, courtesy of Bourbon Street in Tokyo
















P.S. And thanks to Kalyn's Kitchen, I found out about the 2005 Food Blog Awards. Kate of Accidental Hedonist is accepting nominations until December 16. So check it out and nominate your favorite blog. It's also a good way to discover new blogging buddies.

Oh shoot I have to tag people:

Life's A Picnic

Winos&Foodies

SomethingSOClever

Desert Culinary

In Praise of Sardines

21 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Very, very nice. Loved the stolen photos.
Wait. Chef Chu's? Did you go to Stanford?

9:39 PM  
Blogger Cate said...

Oh geesh, I was just coming here to tag you... haven't seen you around in awhile, figured this would bring you back. ;)

11:19 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Avocado and salt - mmmm. That is one of my favorites!

12:08 AM  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Wonderful - mind if I join you on your "last 10 days"? I love every entry.

I must say, I'm really glad I started this meme. It's great to read everyone's choices. Of course now my list has expanded dramatically.

Thanks for sharing

12:17 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

CC, ha you like those? I did not go to Stanford but I *was* born there:) And grew up in Los Altos. Went to Stanford swim camps but that's it. And you?

Sweetnicks, how are you? Ha that's too funny. I'll have to go and check out your post and see what's cookin in your top 10 list.
Sorry I've been MIA. I feel I'm behind in posts AND keeping in touch with friends. Hopefully I'll get caught up today.

Paz, ha :) I think I have enough pizza in this post I can share with you.

Mebeth, I'm known to walk into the bodega across the street and grab an avocado and head straight to the living room floor with garlic salt and spoon for snacktime:)

Ruth, so glad you visited. I didn't realize WHO had started it. Look forward to reading your top 10.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Coodence said...

I lived on Avos + salt OR avos + garlic salt on warm corn tortillas in college. Take me back!!!!

The only good place I've found for corn tortillas is Kitchen on 21st and 8th Ave. in Chelsea. They seem to make em fresh...

1:28 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Coodence, that is too weird. I'm going through my blogroll because I haven't visited friends in ages and you're up next. Good timing. Will have to check that place out-I can head down there after work on my way to Swimster's -thanks for the tip! And corn tortillas are the way to go.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos, Mona. I'm with ya on the avocados and goat cheese (add a few sun dried tomatoes in oil to that goat cheese).

9:01 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Wow. Los Altos is *so-o* California, in a Parent Trap sort of way. Not entirely... I think Parent Trap (the original 60s version) might have been Big Sur or Saratoga or something. But I think of Los Altos as the real thing.
Yeah, I was a grad student at Stanford. Dropped out, sensibly. No degree. Heh. (But met hubster there.)

11:44 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

thanks for the tag! my picks are up!

gotta love that junk food..mmm...

12:21 AM  
Blogger Seth Chadwick said...

Mona,

You and I share a common bond with the Steak Au Poivre. I could eat that every single day (with pommes frites, of course).

A great entry. Kudos!

1:20 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Mona, good call on everything! I have never tried avacado and salt....will be doing that soon!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

That photo of the Mac and Cheese is making me drool all over my keyboard, Mona! I try to keep a running list of Last Meals in my head -- I should try to write them down in case I am ever, you know, on death row or something.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great choices Mona! Especially the raclette...yum! :)

1:04 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Janice, you're right that would be a good addition.

*CookieCrumb, that is so cool! Nothing wrong with that! I love Parent Trap, and you're right, it does feel like it's a Northern California setting.

*Alicat, yay! Can't wait to check out your post. As soon as I wrap up this work here!!

*Seth-haa! Me too! My parents take me out to eat and stopped giving me the menu at half of the places because that's all I ever want when I'm being treated to dinner. I guess I should start broadening my horizons :)

*Indy, let me know if you give it a go!

*Mrs. Delicious, that is so funnY! Haa! Go for it. I wonder if Tookie's picked his last meal...

1:38 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Joey, I haven't had raclette in ages but it is seriously one of the yummiest foods out there...I should really just give it a go in my apt. I don't have to be in Switz. to enjoy it, ya know?

1:38 PM  
Blogger Nazca said...

Peppered steak is the only way to fly. Not sure what this obsession is with Kraft over there, Catesa loves it too. Weird.

If it were my last 10 meals on this plane of existence I would dispense with the healthy stuff! Pile on the calories I say :-)

Any list containing pizza is a good list in my eyes :-)

6:36 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Melissa, mm what's for dinner?

*Yay Nazca, so glad you agreed with me on some of my pics. I can't really describe the processed cheese fix we have for Kraft...and can't imagine what any UK equiv. would be :)

7:09 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Melissa, that sounds delicious and congratulations on your enormous weight loss. That's so exciting!! Keep up the good work (though you seem thin enough in your online pictures:) I will definitely check out the food museum. Have a good night!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

How fun. It's amazing, but I love all your favorite foods. Most people's lists seem to have at least one food that I'm not too crazy about, but not yours. Good taste!!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Kalyn, seriously? That is hilarious. Great minds must think alike :) Glad you were on my same foodie page.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.