Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving Dinner

I hope you're all having a fabulous Thanksgiving weekend with friends and family. I decided to post a few pictures and some traditional family recipes from our early Thanksgiving feast Wednesday night. I'll start with the table. Whenever Dad mentions "Someone should set the table," I always seem to get this suggestive nod saying "Get to it Mona." I usually enjoy it because it means I get to organize/decorate to some extent. Here are some pix of the final product.

This Thanksgiving we welcomed Swimster and my Uncle Brian (of Quatorze Bis fame) to early Thanksgiving. We had a great time and per usual, ate way too much. This year I was too busy playing with my new toy (my parents bought me a Powerbook G4 as an early Christmas present-Thanks Mom and Dad!!) so Dad ended up doing most of the cooking, minus a few exceptions: Mom always does the potatoes. And even when Dad has nothing to do and thinks he should get started on the potatoes, he better not. Mom also made the delicious cookie cake, stuffing and asparagus. And though she usually hands off the gravy to me to watch over, Uncle Brian busted in this year and will now be official gravy-master. See below:
Recipes:

Squash Soup, made from Squash Puree courtesy of William Sonoma

Light & Silky Mashed Potatoes -keepin' it simple and tasty, courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

2 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, preferably large
1 ½ tsp salt
2/3 cup whole milk
½ stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
¼ tsp white pepper

*Peel potatoes and cut into 1-in cubes. Transfer to a 3-quart heavy saucepan and add 5 cups cold water and 1 tsp salt, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer partially covered, until potatoes are tender.
*Drain potatoes in a colander, then return to pan and cook over moderate heat. Transfer potatoes to a bowl and keep hot and covered. Heat milk, butter, and white pepper and remaining ½ tsp of salt in saucepan over moderate heat until butter is melted.
*Force potatoes through food mill into hot milk mixture in pan and gently stir with a large heat-proof rubber spatula just until combined.

Sally Lunn Bread -a gargantuan favorite this year and courtesy of The Williamsburg Cookbook

1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour, divided
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
2 pkgs active dry yeast
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees 10 minutes before you're ready to put the dough in the oven.

Grease 10- inch tube cake pan or bundt pan. Heat the milk shortening and 1/4 cup water until very warm-about 120 degrees. Shortening does not need to melt.
Blend 1 1/3 cups flour, the sugar, salt, and dry yeast in a large mixing bowl.
Blend warm liquids into flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed about 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
Gradually add 2/3 cup of the remaining flour and the eggs and beat at high speed for 2 minutes.

Add the remaining flour and mix well. Batter will be thick, but not stiff.
Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until double in bulk-about an hour and 15 minutes.
Beat dough down with a spatula or at lowest speed on an electric mixer and turn into prepared pan.
Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until increased in bulk 1/3 to 1/2 about 30 minutes.
Bake 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
Run knife around the center and outer edges of the bread and turn onto plate to cool.

Asparagus with Swiss Cheese -the best ever. The secret is not to overcook the asparagus.

2 lbs cooked asparagus
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbl mayo
2 tsp lemon juice
1/3 cup parmesan
1/2 cup Swiss cheese
1/4 cup butter

Arrange cooked asparagus in oven-friendly dish with salt and pepper. Spread mayo over asparagus and sprinkle 1tsp of lemon juice on top. Add parmesan and Swiss cheese together over asparagus. Pour melted butter and 1 tsp of lemon juice together over top.

Heat oven to 350 degrees until cheese is melted. Broil in oven for an additional 1-2 minutes until cheese is browned.

Cookie Cake-the biggest we've ever seen


Stuffing- Pepperidge Farm style. Last year I tried to be adventurous in the stuffing department and it was a big disappointment. So this year we're back to the basic and family favorite-bag o' stuffing. Mom learned this year to never stuff the turkey with warm stuffing. It should go in cold, and wow was it good!

Secret's in the Sauce-We always make the gravy in the pan we take the turkey out of. First we empty most of the drippings into a container. Mom then adds a couple tablespoons of flour and mixes with small amount of drippings in pan until bubbles and thickens. We then alternate water (or turkey stock) and more drippings VERY VERY slowly until each new batch bubbles and thickens, thickens and bubbles, like a witch's brew. Inevitably someone always loses patience doing this and we end up doing it in shifts. As I mentioned earlier, Uncle Brian took the helm this year and he'll now be stuck doing it every year.

Turkey-courtesy of Milillo Farms in Ridgefield, CT. We discovered this place last year and decided to get our turkey from there every year. In addition to their apple pie. Produce and poultry come from their organic farm.

Enjoy! As you can see I had plenty of good reasons to be thankful this year :)


24 Comments:

Blogger Ziz said...

holy crap! Your thanksgiving menu was so fabulous!

I love your "TABLESCAPE" to quote sandra lee. haha ;) Really tho, it looks fantastic! Great job!!

That bread looks killer, btw.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

The bread was the best part of the dinner-no joke. You gotta try it. It was borderline bread/cake. A little touch of sweet. Right out of the oven with butter? Like butta' baby...MMMMMMMM!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Your table looks just beautiful. We have so many small kids we have to be a little less fancy.

I'm seriously jealous of your new present.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Kalyn, thanks so much :) Ha, I can imagine with kids you wouldn't want to have the glass lying around everywhere :) I'm sure that's how my parents USED to be what with me and ted hurling silverware everywhere :) And the "book" is so much fun I love it!!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Nupur said...

What a pretty table! You got very crafty with the place tags (or whatever they are called, you know what I mean :) )...

4:27 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Nupur, thanks for your comments :) Ha, yah, I decided to do something cute. Sadly my creative/funny juices weren't flowing and the actual tags got as exciting as "mom" and "dad" but it still worked. Hope you're having a great weekend!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your table looks fabulous. Your menu is unbelievable. But, most important, I'm so excited about that Power Book G4. I have one --I'm thinking about adding more RAM so I can process RAW files from the new camera.
Have fun!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving must be great. Wonderful pictures of the table. Unfortunately we don't celebrate thanksgiving as you do in Germany.

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good Moni! I love the holidays! It seems like your blog has also brought you and your family even closer together, in the search for the perfect recipes and restaurants!

3.5 weeks till Christmas break for me!! YEAH! Love, Malibu

10:44 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Janice, oh goodie. I will have to consult you when I need help with some of the programs. How long have you had it? Yah, I've practically been sleeping with it since Tuesday :)

*Melissa, hello from NY! Thanks so much for the T-giving wishes.

*Helen, thanks for visiting. Oh that's great news. I will get on the NYC itinerary for you :) I thought I was sick of Thanksgiving food but now I kinda want more of that bread/asparagus!

*Claudia, hello in Germany! Germany during the Christmas season is one of my favorite places in the world. I lived in France for 3 years and we always went to the German Xmas Markets-they were so amazing!

*Malibu, hey girl! Happy Turkey Day! Hope you had a great weekend with friends and family. How's the clan doing? Can't wait for Xmas break myself...heading to CA on the 24th. Yeehaaw! Come up to NYC seriously for a visit!!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Tery Spataro said...

Hi Mona, Fabulous blog! and lovely Thanksgiving dinner.
I'm looking forward to your Holiday dinners and New Year's.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Thanks for visiting Tery! I added you to my NYWB blogroll, even though it says you're a former NY. Hope that's ok :)

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautifully set table. And the menu is mouthwatering. Thanks for the recipes!

Paz

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great looking food and adorable place cards Mona! And the bread certainly does look like an "all star"...

2:14 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

That is a seriously festive looking spread you had going on there! Very nice, and your early present, not so bad, either!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Paz, thanks and you're welcome.

*Joey, thanks. The placecards were great. I always like doing them each year just for fun. How are things with you? Thanks for stopping by!

*S'kat, the early present has not left my side once since I got it. I'm devoting all Tues/Wed to playing with it and figuring out how to get the most out of my new toy.

1:14 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving! Your feast looks awesome and I'm delighted you listed all the recipes.

Enjoy the powerbook - I think Santa might bring me one this year too!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Christopher Keene said...

One advantage of being a long long way from home is that all of our Thansgiving-themed paraphernalia is resting quietly under our real house in San Francisco, leaving us free to celebrate in style with paper plates here in Paris!

Of course this also means that our oven here is just not big enough to roast a turkey, forcing us (without too much effort) to cajole our boucher into roasting a turkey/dinde for us (fabulous, except for the odd substance they use for dressing here).

That being said, your spread looks magnificant!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

Mona! You've been tagged for a wine meme! More info here ;)

http://somethingsoclever.typepad.com/something_so_clever/2005/11/the_place_where.html

4:56 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

Mona, your table is beautiful! And icebox cake with chocolate wafers is one of my favorite desserts EVER -- lucky you for getting it every year on Thanksgiving! Hope you had a terrific weekend.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona, I don't know if you read this comments, but this is James from BlogNYC, can you drop me an e-mail?

6:23 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Mebeth,I hope Santa brings you a powerbook-it's soo awesome. Thanks for belated T-giving wishes. Hope you had a great weekend.

*TwoEggs, you do have something to be thankful for-less clutter :) HA! I'm sure the paper plates worked out just fine. Thanks for your comments. Everything about French kitchens is smaller, I distinctly remember that ...maybe because we in the States are of the false mindset bigger is better...

*Alicat, ha, yay can't wait to check it out!

*Mrs. Delicious, thanks! Icebox cake, yah I think that's what everyone else knows it as. I did have a wonderful weekend, though it always goes by too fast. And you?

*James, hey, of course I read comments. I love getting them and responding :) I tried emailing you but it doesn't work on these computers??

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what e-mail did you try? blognyc@gmail.com?

let me know if that doesn't work and I'll send you another one.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Loonyx said...

boy thanks mon, that was a big slap in the face to your lil bro, parents just bought you an early christmas present a powerbook g4 WHICH I COACHED YOU TO BUY! and then you don't even tell the only technology savvy member of your family you've got one. JC and HS are all i have to say four words which would definitely earn my a slap in the face from mom, but gosh darnit you've got to tell me these things geez its' not like i'm more than a phone call away, i'm still on the same continent for poop sake!

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.