To the Stars
What are we to do?
Vini, vidi, vici.
The Michelin reviewers came, they saw (and ate) and conquered and their ratings are now official. Thanks to the New York Times Dining Out article today I found myself a trusty chart that I can cut out and use as my own little reference. Now don't get me wrong, a restaurant does not need 4 stars (a la Times methodology), 28 points (a la Zagats) or 3 stars (merci a Michelin) to draw me to its tables. It is still fun, however, to compare and contrast the feelings of these very different guides to figure out the best of what's around us in this great city of epicurean delights.
But how to make sense of all the varying opinions and rating systems out there?
Among the Gold Medalists of food ratings, getting their Michelin 3 stars:
***Jean Georges
***Essex House of Alain Ducasse
***Le Bernardin, exec chef Eric Ripert
***Per Se, exec chef Thomas Keller (of French Laundry fame)
A few notables were left off the new A-list, and while certain it would be a blow to any who consider themselves competition to the aforementioned restaurants, I am confident that while New Yorkers (like myself) will enjoy perusing the ratings in their entirety, business will stay steady at the creme de la creme restaurants, 3 stars or 2 stars, loved by Zagats, or unnoticed by Michelin.
Vini, vidi, vici.
The Michelin reviewers came, they saw (and ate) and conquered and their ratings are now official. Thanks to the New York Times Dining Out article today I found myself a trusty chart that I can cut out and use as my own little reference. Now don't get me wrong, a restaurant does not need 4 stars (a la Times methodology), 28 points (a la Zagats) or 3 stars (merci a Michelin) to draw me to its tables. It is still fun, however, to compare and contrast the feelings of these very different guides to figure out the best of what's around us in this great city of epicurean delights.
But how to make sense of all the varying opinions and rating systems out there?
Among the Gold Medalists of food ratings, getting their Michelin 3 stars:
***Jean Georges
***Essex House of Alain Ducasse
***Le Bernardin, exec chef Eric Ripert
***Per Se, exec chef Thomas Keller (of French Laundry fame)
A few notables were left off the new A-list, and while certain it would be a blow to any who consider themselves competition to the aforementioned restaurants, I am confident that while New Yorkers (like myself) will enjoy perusing the ratings in their entirety, business will stay steady at the creme de la creme restaurants, 3 stars or 2 stars, loved by Zagats, or unnoticed by Michelin.



4 Comments:
Michelin seems so uppity to me. Maybe I just don't have the bankroll needed to visit these towers of culinary grace.
G.
*G, I hear you, that's the problem with it. It doesn't do us blue collar kids any kind of good, besides just taunting us :)
Hi Mona! Don't you think Michelin is overestimated? I do. Or I prefer to think I do...But anyway, I'm glad that Michelin decided to open their minds and let in a bit of the rest of the world, New York deserves it.
Besos
*Tattum, yes, a little. And if you looked at the percentage of restaurant goers in the whole world, I'm sure a very small percent of the world population a) knows what the Michelin guide is and b) could afford to eat in a 1,2,or 3 star restaurant. So what gives, right?
Post a Comment
<< Home