Tuesday, October 18, 2005

"Hey mambo...mambo Italiano..."

For some reason I cannot get that song out of my head.
Was it in a commercial I saw recently?
Or in a movie ? Or maybe both.
I watched "Pillow Talk" recently, with Doris Day and Rock Hudson, maybe that's where it's from...oh well.
Today is the first day of my "weekend" and I considered spending it studying up on Dreamweaver and how to make a real website, without the friendly blogger as a crutch. I was so quickly overwhelmed with its intricate tabs and commands and menus I decided to put the project off yet again.
On the google hunt to figure out how to transform a blog to a .com I found Seth Godin. I somehow linked to an "E-Book" he had online and found it very useful and amusing as to how it related to me and my blog.
He listed 5 keys to being successful at blogging. Let CUTPC be the mnemonic you use to remember it.
C is for Candor. I'm going to tell you what I eat and what it tastes like, no frills attached.
U is for Urgency. Not sure how this pertains to food or restaurants but I guess I feel it's urgent for me to share my ideas with you? Help me out here.
T is for Timeliness. I guess this is how frequent you update or how relevant your posts are. I'm not going to blog today about something that happened 5 years ago, or a restaurant I ate at when I was 12, unless it's a meme of course.
P is for Pithiness and that's good enough for me. I suppose this is something I could afford to brush up on.
And lastly another C, this time for Controversy. Funny that the more I blog and blogsurf the more I find people writing about sex and drugs and politics and scandal are the ones getting the most traffic. Some like it hot I guess, but hard to find what's going on in the kitchen (mine at least) controversial?
After a year or so maybe I'll be an "upperclassman blogger." And I suppose I'll have my own list of pointers and tips and guidelines. What it takes to be a "good" blogger. That's just what I don't get though, isn't blogging a form of personal expression to be taken or left? Why are there rules? And who are these people writin' the books, literally and figuratively?
In light of my recent discovery of needing to incorporate "controversy" to my blog, here's a thought for food:
Alicat of Something oh So Clever brought the story of this Julie character to my attention. And I have the author of Too Many Chefs to thank for bringing her to her attention. Check this out, and please, spread the word my friends. It's amazing how bad news travels fast, right AliCat? I shared with my brother and he noted she was written up in a NYT article. He also didn't understand what all my fuss was about. "What's the big deal?" he asked. I dunno. I'll just share and you can decide.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee. . .what a condescending snit from Ms. Julie. Humph! Don't think I'll be buying that one -- Ruth Reichl is a much better read anyway. No maggots there - yech!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

Hells Yes!!! :)

10:16 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Janice, I know, right? It's awful! I read about her idea and liked it (though not that original) and would have considered looking into her blog until I read this awful post of hers...

*AC, I knew you'd like that!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I think the lyrics are from an Applebees commerical =P

11:20 PM  
Blogger Gia-Gina said...

I have heard a bit about this will check it out pronto!

7:21 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

I followed Julie's blog with great interest while it was going on, and was amazed at the bullheadedness of the project.

I mean, shouldn't it all really come back to the point that COOKING IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN?!?

If it's stressing you out enough that your marriage teeters on the brink, perhaps its just time to slow down for a bit.

I work at a library, and since we order all NYT bestsellers, we got her book the day it went on the list. I browsed through it quickly, and it only confirmed the character sketch that I'd seen on the blog. Not someone I'd like to hang out with, cook with, or read a book about 'the fascinating story behind the blog'.

And her NYT opinion-piece? Don't even get me started.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Ziz said...

I just read on her blog that the REPORTERS were at fault for her pieces. That they skewed what she was saying.

NICE COP OUT JULIE! You're not fooling anyone!

PS Mona - Look for me on it - I got mean! haha
Love "Snatchy"

12:57 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

Having just moved back to the east coast from Berkeley, I must say that a lot of the self-righteousness about organic/sustainable/local foods that Powell writes about really does exist and is easy to internalize. Have you read the entire op-ed? Her arguments are actually pretty nuanced, and I find both a lot to agree with and a lot to disagree with -- signs of an interesting writer, IMHO.

That said, I have heard the book is pretty dreadful (unlike her blog, which I thought was terrific -- I am obsessed with peoples' obsessions).

5:53 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Did anyone see this chic on Martha this morning? I loved it when Martha kept talking about how when SHE cooked her way through Julia Child's book this and that happend....It just reiterated this was not a novel idea...the bitter side of me laughed!

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Seth Godin is one of my favorite marketing reads. That's so true what he writes about blogging. haha.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

Indy - That is something I meant to comment on in julies new blog!!! That was Hilarious!

And martha said something about how she cooked her way through the 2ND BOOK TOO! It was too funny.

I left a more in depth comment on her shitty performance on martha on julies new blog. haah :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Joe, that's what it is! Thanks for ending my frustrations trying to figure out where I saw it.

*G-G, hope you've checked it out, let me know what you think!

*S'kat, I know, I know right??

*Alicat, that is SUCH a cop out, I can't believe she's trying to undo the crappy things she said about bloggers. Way to burn your bridges baby!

*Mrs. Delicious, Berkeley huh? That's interesting, and your HO is welcome here anytime :) No, I did not read the entire op-ed. I should try and get my hands on it.

*IndyFoodie, I love it. That's great...go MARTHA! That's what I just can't get over. Is there anything original about her book? I mean, I suppose we are doing the same thing, in one way or another, we are all trying each other's recipes and that's the fun of blogging. But to come off like you're better than all of us??!? That's where I draw the line...

*Simon, yes, I know. He does have a very nifty site and seems to have a plethora of books under his belt. Cool guy!

*Alicat, you are relentless, and I LOVE IT! Can't wait to see what you've left in form of "comments" on her blog.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Now you have me singing that song in my head. Thanks, Mona!

About the lady J, I'm with your brother (is it because we have the same b'day?): What's the big deal? I understand the annoyance and disappointment over her comments. But quite frankly, I could care less about what she says or thinks. It's her free country -- she can say or think what she wants. I just don't think her comments are worth my getting riled over. Perhaps her comments were designed for more publicity. Good or bad, she now has even more publicity for her book. I'd just ignore her if her comments are so upsetting....

My humble opinion,
Paz

11:26 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Barbara, I appreciate your comments immensely :) And yes, she doth protest too much. I know people are telling me not to get riled up about it, because I'm giving her even more publicity, but that kind of behavior shouldn't just slip by undetected and ignored. I'm not one to let things just sliiiiiiide.

*Paz, and I appreciate your comments too. Now whenever my mom calls me it's "Hey Mambo!" AAH! Make it stop! I guess I feel differently about the Lady J thing. If she's knocking us bloggers (a new hobby of mine that I take pretty seriously) I feel like sticking up for myself, that's all. But yes, in the words of MJ, "I'm a lova' not a fighta'..."

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.