Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Giftos from Winos

I had gone to Barbara's blog Winos and Foodies about a month or two ago and noticed one of her pictures was a close-up of wine corks, and a lot of them. I was drooling over them as I had just ordered my first corkboard from Wine Enthusiast and sadly realized I didn't have enough corks to fill it. So I started sub-contracting the cork-saving out to family members and co-workers. My coworker G-bomb brought in a huge bag for me and sadly, it wasn't enough. My Mom brought me a Ziploc bagful from California and that wasn't even enough. Winette from work asked, "Isn't that cheating? You have to drink the wine yourself!" Ha, I disagreed. Despite my one or two glasses of wine an evening here and there, the empty square on the board was not filling up quick enough for my liking. I remember commenting on Barbara's blog, something about needing corks, and she told me she'd send them to me. I died. She was willing to ship a package to someone she didn't even know, barely even corresponded with ( I had just started my blog then), and it wasn't even a local shipment. She lives in New Zealand, I live in New York. Well, to my astonishment, this woman meant business and Barbara did send me the corks (a HUGE bag of them, I even have some leftover) and they were just in time for our apartment party last Friday. Thank you Barbara for your extreme generosity. I owe you BIG time!!! I included some pictures here for you and others to enjoy, and maybe to inspire some of you other winettes and winos out there to do the same (drink more wine,that is).

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Mona it looks great. It was such a thrill to see my corks on a New York corkboard. I remember every bottle!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

How cute!!

Thanks for your comments by the way, I left some for you as well on those posts...

it stinks being po'! :)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Michèle said...

Hi Mona, that looks awesome! i love it, Im going to start collecting my corks..hmm I wonder how long it will take!

3:11 AM  
Blogger Michèle said...

oh, i meant to ask, did you glue them on there or is there some other trick to it?

3:12 AM  
Blogger Nupur said...

I love the corkboard! So neat :) I should be able to make one when I am about 90, at the rate at which I'm drinking wine!

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona, what a wonderfull job!! it looks great on your wall! it's exiting when someone sends you somethimg from the other part of the world! there's beautiful people out there!! Besos

7:02 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

It's not only a great story, but a fantastic memory to have, and one that is highlighted right there on your wall! Bravo, Barbara!

I'm going to be making a couple of corkboards for some friends for the holidays, this year. They'll be composed of wines that we've drank together throughout the year(s).

Michelle, I typically use a hot glue gun to affix them to the base.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cork board looks fantastic Mona! And Barbara you are a sweetie for sending the mother lode! :) What a great idea!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Mona, your room is so sunny - I love it! That's such a cute idea too - how sweet of Barbara!!!

I drink a little wine here and there but mostly I'm a beer girl.

Wheat, with a lemon, please.

*smiles*

12:21 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Barbara, glad you remember every bottle because I certainly don't-haa!

*Alicat, in turn thank YOU and word to being PO'!!

*Michele, how are you! The corkboard "kit" comes with glue but it barely lasts for 2 rows of corks. Either go buy some simple kiddie glue or use a glue gun. I'll let you know if the Elmer's glue works for the longterm or not :)

*Nupur, apparently we need to hang out more. You can't be 90 before you finish one of these boards :)

*Tattum, fully agree on the beautiful people out there...especially food bloggers apparently!

*S'kat, what a cute idea for a present. And a thoughtful one at that. Might have to borrow that idea:)

*Thanks Joey, yes, I think it looks pretty good too. It was made for that wall in our rather small kitchen.

*CherryBegonia, do i sense another hefeweisen fan? Have you ever had Blue Moon? What's your favorite beer I'm dying to know. Because that's how I like my beer too!

*Paz, thanks for your comments, as always ALWAYS appreciated. I think it's a cool story too. One for the masses , definitely!

11:17 PM  
Blogger Gia-Gina said...

I love this! I want one, we are planning a family so the wine drinking has really gone way down.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Thanks gia-gina! I hear you on that girl. You're not the first one who's told me about the trying-to-get-pregnant and no wine drinking :) Good luck!!
I'm not ready for that yet but someday...

4:14 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

YES! Actually the first time I had hefeweisen was this summer at Boston Beer Works by the stadium in Boston.
(Boston accent) That "beah" was sooo good.

:-)
I've seen Blue Moon but never had it. I'll grab it next time!!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Okay, favorite beer... I have to say two:

1.) Leinenkugel's Original, Wisconsin. Has to be Original although Honey Weiss is okay too...

http://www.leinie.com/welcome.html

or

2.) Boulevard Wheat, Kansas City, Mo - goes great with food.

http://www.blvdbeer.com/

And I'm not just represent'n for the midwest either!

What's yours??!!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Oh wow what a fun list to play with! Well, I think besides Blue Moon (great with a slice of orange), the other would have to be Paulaner Hefe Weisen. And then Magic Hat, from VT.
Oh, and Fat Tire from CO. Oo, this is fun, I think I might have to keep adding to this list...

4:51 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Mona! Yeah, yeah!!! FAT TIRE ROCKS! We have it on tap around here quite often.

Have you tried their wheat beer, Sunshine?

What a great idea to add a slice of orange... *thinking of the taste possibilies*

BTW, after a jog last night I grabbed my bike and peddled down to the liquor store yesterday and checked out Blue Moon beer.

I opened the fridge door and reached for that blue 6-pack when my eye spotted Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale next to it. Oh, the struggle. I asked a worker if he had the beer because I normally do not like ale's. He said it tasted like Pumpkin Pie! Whoa, snagged those bottles, paid, and wheeled off with my brown-bagged bottles.

Got home. Popped the top, and on my way to the shower, had my first swig. Okay, not pumpkin pie. Definatly notes of pumpkin though. Definatly seasonal and festive. Tastes like an ale. Still not a fan of ales.

So, tonight, I'll go grab the Blue Moon Wheat! Oh, and looks like I'll need an orange as well!

GREAT POST Mona!!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Oh man CB, I just wrote you a huge comment and the dang computer froze. BLECH!! Anyway, I'm thrilled you tried the blue moon pumpkin. You brave soul you. I did something similar. I had a party last weekend and the local bodega choices were miller or coors. Then I saw a bright orange and purple box of Sam Adams Octoberfest and I had to go with that one...love the festive stuff. It was more for the males at the party b/c like yourself I'm not a huge ALE fan. Can't wait to hear how you like the original blue moon. Keep me posted!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Mona: Ah, that sucks!

Well, it's Friday night and I'm staying in to watch a movie with the boy. So, I picked up some Paulaner Hefe Weisen to eat with my mashed pototoes and corn for dinner. :-) I know it's not really dinner but it's comfort food and it's getting cold here this evening!

The beer is right on. I didn't get an orange but I did have a lemon on hand so I cut slices of that and plunked them in!

Thanks for the idea!!!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

CB, so glad to hear about your night! That was going to be my night too but a friend asked me last minute to the Yanks baseball game. So my night included lots of baseball beer and italian sausages :)

11:21 AM  
Blogger Alysha said...

I've done two of these myself and a glue gun works great. Some of the corks were from my BIL who buys bottles that are over $100, sometimes even $500. Kind of fun to have those corks, even if can't claim to have purchased or even tasted those wines.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

awe, fun! We're goin to the pumpkin patch today! There is a farm about 45 minutes away that sells apples (you pick), pumpkins, gourds, honey on the comb(!), apple butter, apple pie, carmel-covered apples, hams, etc..etc.. etc.. I love it! Fall is really here!!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.