NY Times Dining

I enjoy the NYT dining guide, more so for its recipes (check out this week's article and yummy recipes on garlic) than for its restaurant reviews. Why, you might be asking. Who am I to attack the Einsteins of food critics? And before I put my foot in my mouth, I will even admit to thinking of taking a class taught by the esteemed Alan Richman at the French Culinary Institute in the city. This aside, an article this week caught my eye, written by Frank Bruni, and I forced myself to get through it so I could write about it...
I often find myself struggling to finish NYT restaurant reviews and I'm a literate college graduate who loves to read! But seriously, do these authors get paid by the word? I understand there's art behind the madness, and their writing can be whimsical and beautiful, but should the prose to a restaurant piece outweigh and overshadow the restaurant itself and its food?
"But the presentation winds up seeming less theatrical than practical, less like an aquarium of incipient deliciousness than an unadorned aquatic larder, even a floating gallows."
This was one clip from an article on two Chinese restaurants. I understand the practical bit versus the theatrical bit, but is the rest really necessary? Please dear food critic, tell me about the atmosphere, tell me about the food, and tell me about the service, the good the bad the ugly, in plain English, and without a plethora of SAT words. I realize the Times caters to its audience of those who live in intellectual-ville (I'm still in hooville), but is it necessary to describe a restaurant while making the reader feel lingually-challenged at the same time? I read these reviews and constantly feel like I'm being talked down to.
"Chinese has been trading up, ditching its often matter-of-fact trappings ...."
I will end my rant here. Please share your thoughts.



8 Comments:
Totally agree. Statements like that add nothing to the review and do not help me get a better feel for the restaurant.
Here is a excerpt from Elements of Style, the famed guidebook for writers.
13. Omit needless words.
Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.
I feel exactly the same way, and have taken to avoiding that section of the newspaper.
Entirely too pompous!
Tagged!!
http://sweetnicks.blogspot.com/2005/09/tgif_23.html
Corks in the mail Mona. You blog seems to have moved to the left or is it my browser. LHS of page is obscured.
Hi Mona! - On the topic: absolutely agree.
But my main reason for being here: I've tagged you for the Childhood Memories meme, and I hope you haven't ben tagged yet!
totally agree as well.
back in the days when ruth reichel and william grimes were writing the reviews, i used to look forward to them each weds morning. bruni is arrogant and seems to think that the food reviews are a forum for him to show off his writing skills. the only good thing that has come out of this is the Bruni Digest, dedicated to making fun of his insanity - http://brunidigest.blogspot.com/
Another example of how impactful and important the internet is to our society. Now that the "people" have the power to be on line journalists the media elite (actually I hate that term because I think it really is slang for something else) aren't holding the keys anymore. We're seeing it now as the major networks continue to loose audience share to cable and other forms of information distribution such as the internet. So, good choice of a posting topic.
Your pal the edit man, (PS, the Edit Man, leaves for Houston and isn't coming back. More on this later on)
*S'kat-thanks for writing and am glad you agree with me! Pompous is the word I was looking for but couldn't think of-ha!
*Sweetnicks-uhoh! My first tagging, very exciting!
*Barbara, I 'll have to look into my formatting..you can't read the LHS of page? That's really strange!?! What to do?
*Zabeena, thanks for writing! I will have to check out your blog. Sweetnicks just tagged me but maybe it's for something different?
*Dirty Tony, as always your heartfelt comments are always appreciated.
*Joe, can't wait to check out that blog on the Brun-meister. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
*EditMan, your company at work will be sorely missed! And can't wait to check out http://hellohouston.blogspot.com!
Thanks for your comments!
Post a Comment
<< Home