A special treat
I had dinner all by my lonesome the other night, and for some reason, I was craving a dish from my childhood days in Paris. No, not baguettes with nutella. But one of my mom's more popular quick kid-fixes. If I was down in the dumps over school, boys, or swimming, nothing cheered me up better than macaroni and cheese with some "chicken of the sea." Mom always used to make this for my brother and I and we loved it, and brutally fought over leftovers. 
Since I mentioned my blog is a sort of "poor girl's guide" to eating in NY, I felt why not include this delicious dinner I had, and on little to no cash. Just make the tuna fish, per directions on the box, and add a can of tuna. You can decide how tuna-ey you want to make it. Seriously, it's great. I promise!
On the side I treated myself to a nice glass (actually 2) of shiraz from my local wine store- Red Dust '03 Shiraz. Was amazed with the owner's choice for me. I said I wanted cheap. I said I wanted shiraz on the more full-bodied side and he pulled just the right bottle! It's subtle on the oak and soft on the finish. Just what the poor girl ordered!
The label to the right is off their cab/shiraz blend (I couldn't find the shiraz one online) but figured just seeing its design would help lock it into your memory...



13 Comments:
I love your drawing! So cute! SOunds like a nice wine, too...
Your illustration cracked me up! Definitely got the message across! :)
ha! thanks beth!
wait, where did you go? i tried going to your blog but couldn't find it!
Hah - the drawing is cute! Thanks for sharing!
oh yummy. that is something i really miss from North America, the kraft dinner. with tuna or hot dogs or just with ketchup and lots of black pepper. yum, im so sad that its not available here. enjoy a bite for me :)
I had my own version of this as a child....tuna, mac $ cheese, and peas.....mmmmmmm Now that is something for all of us food snobs.....we sould all make a meal from our childhood and blog about it!
I love special solo dinners! There is nothing like learning to love your own company :) A comforting dish (like your mac n cheez) and a glass (or 2) of wine definitely help! :)
*Thanks Joe, in my former life I was a student of l'ecole des beaux arts
*Catesa, when we lived in France we frequented the American food store for Oreos and Reesees and Kraft, terrible I know. Maybe we can set up this blogging by mail thing and I could send you some!
*IndyFoodie, that sounds like a great idea...you name the time and place and we can do it. I 've seen a couple "memes" that have revolved around that kind of thing. Would definitely be willing to give it a go.
*Joey, thanks for visiting. I just read your off to Egypt. Have a blast and a very safe trip!
What do you think about doing it in October? It's sort of a "kids" month with Halloween. That will also give some time to think about it....there are so many wierd "kid" foods.....purple cows, bananna & peanut butter on a hot dog bun, and I love catesas comment about hot dogs!
That's a great idea..good call! I love the fall, apart from it being my birthday month this month (shameless "me" plug) but love all the holidays. Good thinking!
lol its not so sad, i know many people would think its crazy to live in France and just go for food like that since its a culinary mecca but i understand better than most, living internationally and seeking out little comforts of home. its just in our nature :)
Nicholas loves, loves, loves macaroni and cheese from a box, no matter how many times I've made a special homemade version for him. Guess great minds think alike!
Sweetnicks, funny how mac and cheese out of a box is such a part of everybody's upbringing. I wonder how long it's been around...is it weird that I like it out of the fridge cold the next day? That is my favorite way to enjoy it, aside from with the tuna of course :)
Post a Comment
<< Home