Magnolia Cupcake
I was home in CT on my days off this week and decided to make the most of having a full kitchen to bake with. My kitchen in NYC is decent-sized, but I seem to be lacking a lot of the baking tools I am guaranteed to find at home.
My mom had previously bought the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook and on a rainy day, nothing sounded better than attempting some comfort creations.
If you don't live in NY and have heard about the West Village sweetshop, and are wondering what all the fuss is about, take a peek and a bite at these recipes.
If you live in NY and haven't been to Magnolia, or you have and are wondering what the secret is, read and eat on for instant pleasure.
I made the famous vanilla cupcakes and the corn bread muffins. Both a huge success with myself AND Dad (who can by a harsh critic).
Vanilla buttercream cake/cupcake
(preheat oven to 350 degrees)
*makes 1 3-layer cake or 24 cupcakes
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
You will want to cream the butter first at medium speed with your blender. Then add-in 4 parts- the dry stuff (both flours and sugars). With each part of dry stuff add a portion of the milk, vanilla, and egg (one at a time).
When batter is smooth and creamy, either make your cake or spoon the batter into cupcake tin.
Bake in the oven for about 23 minutes, or until you can place your finger on the top and have it bounce up (not sink into the cake). Let cool before you add the frosting, and quite honestly, I don't even think they need frosting.
Vanilla frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
8 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
food coloring for desired frosting color (no, this frosting will not come out magically pink like the pictures)
You will cream the butter, like above, then add sugar 1 cup at a time, followed by the milk and vanilla. Blend to desired thickness.
*This frosting is WAY TOO SWEET. I suggest attempting a cream cheese frosting instead. I couldn't slather it on like I like to because it was just too sugary.*
Corn bread/muffins
(preheat oven to 350 degrees)
1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks butter) unsalted
Mix the dry stuff first in a bowl. Add the wet stuff to the middle of the dry (book said form a "well" in the middle to pour the wet stuff into). Make sure you MELT the butter before adding to the recipe. Stir it all together and if you see clumps, that's ok. Leave them and don't over-stir.
Bake in the oven for about 18-20 minutes and get ready for a moist bite of cornbread!
Enjoy, and let me know how it goes!!
Happy baking!!
Magnolia Bakery, 401 Bleecker St, (at 11th Street)
My mom had previously bought the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook and on a rainy day, nothing sounded better than attempting some comfort creations.
If you don't live in NY and have heard about the West Village sweetshop, and are wondering what all the fuss is about, take a peek and a bite at these recipes.
If you live in NY and haven't been to Magnolia, or you have and are wondering what the secret is, read and eat on for instant pleasure.
I made the famous vanilla cupcakes and the corn bread muffins. Both a huge success with myself AND Dad (who can by a harsh critic).
Vanilla buttercream cake/cupcake

(preheat oven to 350 degrees)
*makes 1 3-layer cake or 24 cupcakes
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
You will want to cream the butter first at medium speed with your blender. Then add-in 4 parts- the dry stuff (both flours and sugars). With each part of dry stuff add a portion of the milk, vanilla, and egg (one at a time).
When batter is smooth and creamy, either make your cake or spoon the batter into cupcake tin.
Bake in the oven for about 23 minutes, or until you can place your finger on the top and have it bounce up (not sink into the cake). Let cool before you add the frosting, and quite honestly, I don't even think they need frosting.
Vanilla frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
8 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
food coloring for desired frosting color (no, this frosting will not come out magically pink like the pictures)
You will cream the butter, like above, then add sugar 1 cup at a time, followed by the milk and vanilla. Blend to desired thickness.
*This frosting is WAY TOO SWEET. I suggest attempting a cream cheese frosting instead. I couldn't slather it on like I like to because it was just too sugary.*
Corn bread/muffins
(preheat oven to 350 degrees)
1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks butter) unsalted
Mix the dry stuff first in a bowl. Add the wet stuff to the middle of the dry (book said form a "well" in the middle to pour the wet stuff into). Make sure you MELT the butter before adding to the recipe. Stir it all together and if you see clumps, that's ok. Leave them and don't over-stir.Bake in the oven for about 18-20 minutes and get ready for a moist bite of cornbread!
Enjoy, and let me know how it goes!!
Happy baking!!
Magnolia Bakery, 401 Bleecker St, (at 11th Street)



8 Comments:
I've tried the vanilla buttercream cupcake recipe, and yes indeed, WAY too sweet, that frosting! Magnolia Bakery is one of the places I'd surely like to visit if I come to NY...
Btw, saw your comment on Becks&Posh re. IMBB, and realize that, well, the IMBB-site probably wouldn't give you that much info - sorry! I tried finding an e-mail adress here, but couldn't find one, so hope it's okay I just "spam" your comment section trying to answer your question! :-) It's actually very easy - you don't have to be a member anywhere, you just have to have a blog!
Each month, a theme is declared by a host - for Is My Blog Burning? (IMBB?) the theme can be everything from a particular ingredient (There's been rice for example), to a color of food (we've had orange), a method to be used (terrine, grilling, tartines, soups, cakes) - basically, anything goes. As you could see, Sam (from Becks& Posh) will be hosting September's Edition, and will announce the theme this Saturday, and will also let us all know what day we have to post our entries by. For IMBB, the day is always Sunday - the date changes a bit from month to month.
You blog about the thing you've made (which of course has to fit within the theme), post your entry to your blog, then e-mail the host, making sure to include all of the info he/she has asked for - usually a permalink to the entry, a link to your blog and your blog's name, and maybe where in the world you are. The host then makes a round-up with links to all the entries that's been made for the particular theme, so that everyone can see what other bloggers have made. Yup, you're right - we're geeky!8-)
There are also Sugar High Fridays - themes are, as the name suggest, always sweet: we've had white chocolate, apples, spices, nuts, honey, coffee and lots of others - next one is custards! Then there are End of Month Eggs on Toast Extravaganza(EOMEOTE), Dine & Dish (people dining out under a specific theme, right up your alley I'd suppose;-))Wine Blogging Wednesdays, Does my blog look good in this, Blog Party and - whew! there are lots, as you can tell!
I think I've managed to confuse even myself here! Feel free to drop me an e-mail (zarahjordahn (at) gmail (dot) com) if you have any questions at all!
Those cupcakes look yummy and cute! I have never be to the Magnolia Bakery although I have heard about it...next time I'm in NY for sure!
Zarah Maria, thank you so much for your thorough response regarding IMBB. It was sooo helpful! I will be eagerly anticipating the theme of next month's IMBB, and though I'm stronger I suppose on the writing front than the cooking front, I'll have fun nonetheless!
They may not be monkeys but they sure look yummy!:)
mmmm i love magnolia cupcakes- i know they're very sweet but somehow that doesnt ever stop me. you're tempting me to whip up a batch right now!
Thanks for writing Tanvi! Saw your profile..Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books too!
I'm taking a look at your blog right now :)
Oh cupcakes! I have heard so many wonderful things about Magnolia Bakery. I will definitely have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing. They look absolutely yum! : )
I've never tried to make these, but I'm going to swipe the recipe for a rainy day. Thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home