Childhood Meme
I'm sorry to have neglected you dear childhood meme for so long.
Below is the meme tree. When it’s your turn, move down the list, drop number one from the top spot, move the numbers down, and place yourself in the number five spot. Don’t forget to link the blogs (except yours). 1. The Cooking Adventures of Chef Paz 2. 80 Breakfasts 3. Bucaio 4. A Lot On My Plate. 5. Mona's Apple. And, don't forget to tag 3 people.
I don't know where to begin with this one. Perhaps I'll start with my background, in as few words as possible. Mom is Irish, Scottish, Polish and English, and she'll be the first to tell you she has never quite been the kitchen diva. Domestic diva? Yes. She could attack a bathroom, a bedroom and a stain with all the gusto of the Waldorf Astoria housekeeping staff. But when it came to dinners and cooking, she was a little bit more modest. We had a few meals on a rotating basis: pork chops and rice, breaded chicken and rice, ravioli (the frozen kind Celantano which was quite good!) , spaghetti, mac&cheese, and flanksteak and rice. I'm sorry Mom, if I'm
forgetting one. Dinners were never mom's specialty. Some of our favorite things mom made were of the dessert variety: key lime pie, cheesecake with yummy graham cracker crust,
apple crumble, cookie cake (the kind with the old chocolate wafers and whipped cream), and peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses. If we had a family birthday or occasion coming up
you were guaranteed to get one of those scrumptious desserts, and there was always a guessing game involved.
Dad, on the other hand, is %100 Italian, and when he has the time he can be quite the cook. If he got home from the office in time it was spaghetti with homemade meatballs and tomato sauce. He also made an award-winning cream of broccoli soup, that we enjoyed in or around the
holidays. When he had time to grill it was yummy burgers and steaks and fish, whatever our little spoiled hearts desired. And when he had time to bake it was homemade bread and apple pie.
Aside from the meals we had at home, I can't forget about some of my favorite not-so-fresh or healthy treats, that I chomped on like a horse at school and on the pooldeck. I was a swimmer my whole life and me and my teammates tended to eat our weight in food on a daily basis. Some might say I still do...



I've chosen to leave this open-ended. If I come up with any others I'll add them too. I'm going to tag....Cooking for Kodiak,
Is it Edible, and Mrs. Delicious. Have fun, and Happy Friday to all, except me. It's only my Tuesday....(I know I'm Debbie Downer aren't I?)



16 Comments:
*GG-I hear you:) I should sign up for a blogging by mail and send you some!
Noticed your post on pepperblog. Have been running around like a headless chicken... hence the hiatus! Thanks for visiting... keep coming.
What an interesting blog you have! I wish, wish, wish I could visit NYC and visit some wonderful restaurants! Thanks for visiting my blog :)
Kim
*Avant-garde, thanks for stopping by! Ha, I know what it's like to be a headless chicken : ) And will keep in touch.
*Traveller One, thanks for visiting my blog too! Have you painted anything fun on art.com? I'm trying to decide how it can fit into my next post.
Vienna Fingers -- oh, my -- aren't they just the best? And Nutella?? Yummy. I remember when I would hide both behind the pots and pans so I wouldn't have to share with 4 siblings.
Yum! What fun childhood food memories you have! I could use some of those Vienna Finger cookies right about NOW! ;-)
Best,
Paz
*Janice, That's hilarious. Did it work? Until someone found your hiding spot I'm sure. For some reason nobody else in the fam liked the vienna fingers like I did. Mom and my brother were oreo freaks. Which of course I loved to but not as much as VF!
*Paz, yes, fun food memories indeed. Just writing about it and looking up pix of the foods made me want to be in elementary school again with mom packin the yummy lunch bag.
Yum Yum Yum. I've never had those Vienna fingers! I will have to keep a look out for them. :)
Mmmmm...Nutella....love that stuff. Sounds like your childhood was full of good things, food-wise and otherwise :-)
*Alicat, yes you definitely should :) Crumbled over ice cream too ..the best!
*Kathy, thanks for stopping by :) Yes, I was a lucky kid (some may say I still am :)
My mom is the saaaaame way! And I'm not putting her down - she'd say the same thing. She makes one or two soups, good lasagne and my Pops grills. I always said that becuz she hardly cooks, I have a good figure. And that's a good thing! *lol*
**Left ya a note on my blog.
Ta-ta!
You had me at Reeses and Twinkies!
G.
Ciao Mona!
I just found your site through the "Stepping Stones" blog. I had a lot of fun reading about your childhood. I have to agree with gina, I would KILL for twinkies!
Lucky for me I have a stash of marshmallows so I can make Krispy treats (thank God they sell rice krispies in Italy)!
Cyn
*CB, There you are! That's really funny. I guess it did have its advantages :) HA! And yes, my mom used to be self-conscious about it when family came over now that's just how it is.
*Cynthia Rae, thanks so much for stopping by and your nice comments! I will have to check out your blog now :) Mmm, rice krispie treats, another swim team favorite.
*Greg, oh no I missed ya. Love your comment. How funny!! You...complete....me :)
*Skrat, yes they are. I'm fully planning on buying some serious peanut/choco bars for Halloween. Too bad we don't get trick or treaters, that just means more for me!
Post a Comment
<< Home