Dada's Birthday
When I got home to CT my mom informed me she had an Austrian meal in mind in honor of a restaurant they found on their recent cross-country voyage. They fell in love with Jackson, WY and the restaurant Stiegler's at the Aspens (near Teton Village). When reading about this restaurant in one of my mom's guide books, I found a word I wish I could pronounce, Gemutlichkeit. In the Austrian chef's words this is "a feeling you get when you're surrounded by good friends, good food, and of course, good beer." Now I challenge you to come up with this word in our English language...

Dinner included some exciting homemade treats. First off, I attacked a bread recipe during the day while mom was out doing laps at the pool. The only laps I was doing was around our kitchen island trying to figure out how to plug in the DVD player to watch my Netflix rental The Aviator. The bread I tried was from the King Arthur's Flour Baker's Companion. I decided my first bread should be a relatively easy one so I went with a "quick bread" Rosemary Cheddar Cheese Bread. This bread, if I may say so myself, was unbeLIEVable and I can't wait to share with Swimster when I get back to the city.
Next up was my mom's veal milanese. We thought we were making weinerschnitzel but since it came from The Soprano's Cookbook my dad corrected us, saying if it came from an Italian cookbook we better call it veal milanese. "As if!"
Fried Veal Cutlets :
2 large eggs
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup plain bread crumbs
1 pound veal, chicken, or turkey cutlets
vegetable oil
lemon wedges
In a shallow plate, beat the eggs with the cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Spread the bread crumbs on a sheet of wax paper.
Dip each piece of the veal in the egg mixture, then in the bread crumbs to coat it completely. Let dry for 15 minutes.
Pour 1/4 inch of oil into a deep heavy skillet. Heat over medium heat until drop of the egg mixture sizzles and cooks quickly when dropped in the skillet. Add only as many cutlets to the pan as will fit comfortably in a single layer. Cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer the cutlets to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Eat and savor with some lemon slices.
These were the best cutlets I'd ever had. The batter wasn't too thick and bubbled nicely over the veal. Another birthday dinner success, and Dad gave Mom the ultimate compliment saying they were even BETTER than the ones they had at Stiegler's. 
Last up, a homemade spaetzle dish, oddly a German/Austrian dish but this recipe comes courtesy of our French friends at one of my favorite restaurants in the city Balthazar. After my parents discovered this restaurant they immediately went and bought the cookbook and I've been enjoying it ever since! I had made this spaetzle recipe before with Swimster and Dad but without the nifty spaetzle-making tool my mom found me at Williams Sonoma.
Spaetzle:
2 cups flour
7 eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt and ground pepper
1 tsp of herbs of choice (rosemary, thyme, or chives)
Mix these ingredients together with a wooden spoon and let chill in a fridge for an hour before making.
Bring a pot of water to a boil (one hour later :) Place the dough on a large platter (one you can hold at the stovetop while making) and smooth out the dough in a thin enough layer to spoon gradually into the boiling water. You will see the dough drop in drip-like shapes, and sink to the bottom. As they pop up to the surface, a quick 30 seconds later or so, spoon out and put in a bowl. You will have to constantly be pouring dough in while taking the cooked spaetzle noodles out. *I highly recommend the spaetzle "toy" my mom bought me.* It reminds me of a tool I used when making PlayDough pasta.
Once you have drained the spaetzle, you can do one of two things. Serve as is with some butter or put on a skillet and saute over butter and light heat.
So there you have it. Our dinner was delicious and as my dad smiled and laughed and was uber-impressed said "A very memorable one too!" I hope I've inspired some of you to try these fun new recipes I've discovered. I'm suffering from a slight food coma and mom and dad have since retired to bed, where I will soon be, dreaming of blustery fall days, happy and thankful for my family, and that tomorrow is my Sunday!



19 Comments:
gemutlichkeit - GE (a hard 'g' like in Glue) Mut (a slight oo for the 'u')- li-ch (this is a difficult one since you put the back of your tongue against the roof of your mouth and make a soft snake sound from your throat or something like a long breathy h with some throatyness) - kayt
is something like a comfortable camaraderie. feeling cozy and good... there is not a direct English word for it unfortunately :)
LOL hope that was confusing enough for you :D
mmm..all things I've never made before...or even imagined making before (the bread not included). It looks really yummy! :)
that's great Mona, that you could find a good recipe suitable for the ocasion!! those spaetzle sound really interesting!! =))
My Aunt and Uncle have a 2nd home in Jackson Hole, WY. Is this the same place you're talking about?? It's some beauuuutiful country!
By the way, in English we call having a good time friends, eating, and drinking beer "Tail Gating!!" And it's the season!
*lol*
Why didn't you cook like this at the Fred?
What a wonderful sounding meal and a good time you all had! Excellent!
Paz
*Catesa, thanks so much for that pronunciation pointer! I love it! I'm going to keep that word in my mind for future warm and cozy gatherings :)
*Alicat, the bread was am-A-zing. You have to try it. And the spaetzle was so easy, with the toy of course. All worth a whirl in the cucina!
*Tattum, have you ever had spaetzle? It's so great, I compare to the American mac&cheese comfort food fetish.
*CB, ha! Tailgating does work pretty well! Good call! Jackson Hole is exActly where I'm talking about. How cool! Have you ever visited them? I'm dying to move out there. I told them to stop talking about their trip or I'd do something craaaaazy, like quit my job and move out there :)
*AHAAA!! Hilarious, I know, right? I was such a poor girl/slacker all I cared about was boyz and drinking :)
*Paz, thanks for your comments, as always. It was a great night and I'm just glad I could be there to celebrate.
*Skrat, my thoughts exactly! That was part of the reason I made the bread, as a kind of token of admiration/love for my Dad. He's been making us Thanksgiving and Easter bread for years and I wanted to give a go at it myself. He was very impressed, as I even was :) Thanks for writing!
I love your family!
Wish I could have met your family, while you were in Paris.
Wonderful post!
Mona, consider yourself tagged!
*Melissa, you're so sweet. Boy I wish I was still there that's for sure!
*Gia-gina, uhoh! I'm it...ha love it! And I'm still behind on the childhood meme ..eek!
youre the best cook, try my soup at my blog
"a feeling you get when you're surrounded by good friends, good food, and of course, good beer."
Sounds like home to me ahhhh...
Veal, hey? Not very PC... I'm sure the middle ground between the Beef Council and the activists is where the truth lies. I've only had it the one time, had to see what all the fuss was about. It was ok.
Should have told the chef to batter it :-D
*Aunt Bea, I 'm sorry I couldn't find the soup on your blog...
*Nazca, thanks for writing. I'm sorry if we grossed you out by eating veal. We've never been very PC when it comes to food...though I don't order Chilean Sea Bass when I go to restaurants that's for sure.
Hi Mona: Have I been out there? NO!!!! My parents and their siblings have gone out there a bunch of times and they keep telling us that it's "just the adults." Although all of us cousins are in our 20s and 30s! ??? Anyway, they are PROMISING us next year we can go and not just be subjected to the millions of beautiful pictures and stories they bring back!
*grrrr!*
The moose hang out right in their back yard!!
I know - I could totally forgo my little city world and work from home somewhere in the NW or something! *sigh*
*CB, I'm right there with you, though I know I'd be leaving behind my man..*sigh*..it still is tempting though!
Lunchtime and I take a trip over to see what's happening at your blog and here's all this delicious sounding hearty stuff to make my mouth water. Sure beats the ham and cheese from home. I can't wait to try out some of these recipes. Bread always seems scary to make. Thanks, Mona!
*BC, long time no.... comment? :) Ha! I'm glad my pix and the write-up did you well. Ham and cheese sounds better than what I'm eating today-a tupperware of good ol' tuna fish. It;s been pretty quiet here, thanks for dropping by! Seems it's been a sleepy weekend AND a sleepy Monday.
It's funny to see that you make spaetzle!... I'm from Switzerland and we also make them (SpƤtzlis.
Post a Comment
<< Home