Thursday, October 20, 2005

An Apple (picked) A Day...

Is good for the soul, just like chicken soup.
Yesterday was a quiet day at home in CT, well not so quiet I guess. Mom and Dad have workers over the house trying to fix up some odds and ends (i.e. rotting garage beams thanks to lovely termites) and I couldn't hear myself think let alone carry on a phone conversation with the EASL computer person and banging and hammering in the background.
When Mom locked herself out of her bedroom (with neither lock nor key), I decided we absolutely had to get out of the house. No questions asked. And where were we headed?
To the lovely Blue Jay Orchards farm, to handpick some apples and explore the fall New England countryside.

We got to the orchard in Bethel and found the parking lot completely empty. What a treat, we had the whole place to ourselves. We hopped in the enormous general store they have and purchased our apple bag, which came in 2 sizes, small or medium. We decided on the medium so we could each bring home about 8-10 pounds of apples. I liked the idea of pre-buying the bags. That way you could just cram all the apples you could carry into the bags, no questions asked, no weigh machines, just pick 'em and go. There were 3 apples we could choose from: Braeburn, Mutsu, and Granny Smith. My mom and I started walking down the rows of trees and were a little nervous as we found most of the apples not far from their trees, but sadly on the ground. Were there any left to pick? As we wandered further and further into the orchard we found our trees and we found plenty of apples.
After we filled our bags to the tippytop we paid a visit to the gift store. We got a couple baskets and did some damage, not a lot, but some. I picked out a rhubarb strawberry pie that was delicious and decided to treat my co-workers today to some of Blue Jay Orchard's very own apple cider donuts. Needless to say, they were a big hit.
It has been a very long time since we 'd been apple-picking and Mom and I decided it's never to late to start new traditions...

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delightful. My former M-i-L grew up in Ellijay, GA -- well known for its many apple orchards. She made the most devine apple cake and fried apple pies. Unfortunately, she's 95 now and doesn't do much cooking any more. Didn't know how good I had it.
Enjoy -- and share your recipes.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

Mon - Is it just me or are your posts now waay to the left? :)

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea you had! I've never been apple picking before. The apples you shown look really good. I love apples. ;-)

Paz

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The apple picking is a great idea. I've only ever been strawberry picking.

And yes your posts are way to the left on my screen also.

5:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mona! I've never been apple picking and it sounds sooo good!! Last year I planted an apple tree in my garden, but till he decides to give me some apples, I think I'll have to wait...I supose I'll be able to start myself a new tradition ;))
Besos

7:07 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Hi Monica!

Thanks so much about my blog. Carolina tells me you're the expert -- it's so funny how we're all blogging like crazy, but isn't it awesome? And maybe it helps someone interested in our topics. Yours is great! So well done! Keep it up! Makes me hungry!
See you this weekend.
Janet

9:37 AM  
Blogger Ziz said...

Hey again Mon! The posts are back to normal...maybe it was my browser and not yours? :)

11:45 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Janice, fried apple pies? Whoa, that sounds amazing, do you have a recipe for that? I'm a sucker for anything fried.

*Alicat, I hope my posts are ok. I compared my settings to some other peoples. I have I.Explorer and can't get a feel for what other people see in their browsers.

*Paz, if you've never been it's a definite must. Pickyourown.org is a great resource for looking up local farms.

*Barbara, not a good sign if the posts are all the way to the left on your screen too. My family used to grow strawberries in our yard in CA, I miss that!

*Tattum, that's so great you have your own apple tree. I'm very jealous! The biggest thing we can fit in our NYC apt is a cactus:)

*Janet, thanks for your comments! I'm so excited you've started a blog, and I can't wait to check it out on a daily basis. I'm sure you will find many people who have a lot in common with you and your passion.

*Alicat, a second time:) ok, cool, but Barbara is still having issues. Maybe I'll have to bring it up in food scool.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

such a wonderful way to spend a day! sounds like you had a great time with your mum :) i love apples!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Catesa, it was a great day, and mom had a great time, despite her slight reluctance of leaving the house so late in the day :)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Upland Research said...

Hey, thanks for the comment on my blog.

This post brings up something that I have wondered about since I have lived in New York...

I grew up in Illinois (farm country...not Chicago)...and we went to a Pick-Your-Own-Pumpkin Patch. No one there picks apples. Everyone picks pumpkins? I always wondered why the difference. I have looked for a place to pick pumpkins out here and I haven't had any success.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona, so sorry, I don't have a recipe. She made the most marvelous biscuits and would just take some of her biscuit dough, work it a little more, make a circle, drop a wallop of apple stuff, fold over, seal, and fry (in vegetable shortening of all things) in an iron skillet. Not many cook like that anymore. She made apple, peach, and apricot pies. I'll try to ask her next time I see her.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Chafer, thanks in return for checking out mine! Ha, I haven't checked yet but check out pickyourown.org and see what comes up for pumpkins? Let me know what you find, I'll look into it myself too.

*Janice, bummer! Ha, well thanks for letting me know. That sounds amazing, keep me posted :)

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to see that you have a great relationship with your parents as well as Swimster. I like the way you enjoy both the energy of NYC and the tranquility of Connecticut. Watch out Martha, Mona is gaining ground on you..........

Hope you're doing well

The Edit Man, now in Texas.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Edit Man, your comments are always appreciated. We miss you up here in NY! I'm going to check out hellohouston RIGHT NOW :)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

In Firefox all of your posts are to the very left of the page (almost hard to read) but in Internet explorer it looks fine and centered!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Paz, no problem. Let me know how it works out.

*Joe, thanks. I do most of my blogging from my work computers, and I don't have access to download firefox to test it out and see how much I have to change the content size. I'll do that when I go home on Tuesday. Yikes, I had no idea??!!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Buggie said...

mmm, I love apple butter and Gala apples with peanut butter. When you lived in DC, did you ever go west and buy apples in the Winchester area? Great apples.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Buggie, no I didn't, crap! That stinks! And I had a car to drive too!! Wish I had known about that...

4:09 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

I eat a granny smith apple every day.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Prospect, good for you. How would I go about dressing up as a granny smith for Halloween, I'm seriously contemplating it...

6:19 PM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

Holy cow- so many comments! Your story is making me feel so 'triste' for my Canadian apple-picking places. I think I'll go to the market and do another kind of picking today!

3:39 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Now that really sounds like quite a fun experience. There's an orchard here that recently had their annual apple-picking extravaganza. I didn't make it, but it's on my list of priorities for next year, especially after your posting!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Amy Traverso said...

Oh, I'm jealous! They have apple orchards out here, but it just ain't the same.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Gia-Gina said...

I need apple pie soon. I made apple sauce but realized that I am missing the crust and apple combo but I have to admit I am afraid of crust making. Maybe when my cravings give in I will learn.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Traveller One, aw, Canadian apple-picking days, huh? I hope you found something nice to pick at your own local markets in Albania :)

*S'kat, apple picking extravaganza sounds like so much fun! I can't believe you missed it. But I'm sure you had a good excuse :)

*Amy, I hear you, not the same as New England apple orchards, but then again, Cali has its own natural wonders :) Of my favorite would have to be the various wine valleys...

*G-G, I'd be curious to know what your apple sauce recipe is. That's all my Dad wanted to make after he heard we went to the orchard. He actually went back the same vineyard with my mom a few days later just so he could get more apples to make his very own apple sauce!

*G-G,

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.