Tagged
Thank you Alicat of Something So Clever for tagging moi for this fun meme. And fun idea Beau of Basic Juice :)
'Tis the season for me to get my creative gift-giving ideas flowing and might as well start with a virtual wine gift.
The Gift of Wine Meme started at Basic Juice and asks:
If you were to give a wine out of your own cellar/collection/shelf/fridge as a gift this year, which wine would it be, who would receive it, and why?
Let me write myself through my options. I already got Mom a great big bottle of bubbly Veuve Clicquot for her birthday, which we enjoyed before our Thanksgiving feast. The coolest thing about it was the bright orange ice jacket it
came in. And Dad gladly admits, he's more of a beer guy. Give him a 6-pack of a microbrew or Stella Artois and he's good to go. I'd consider my brother but he's not really a wine drinker either. And if you're giving the gift of wine from your "cellar", it has to go to someone who truly appreciates good wine...
Winette! My coworker and partner in sangria and wine bars around the city. I can't believe it didn't occur to me sooner. "How do I appreciate thee? Let me count the ways..." and give you some wine! She motivates me at work on a daily basis, inspiring me to take my writing to the next level. She not only brought me back a bottle of white wine from her trip to Russia for my birthday, but she bought me a bottle of Veuve on top of that. And the next day at work I had two enormous bags sitting on my chair and inside I found boxes and boxes of cupcakes from Buttercup Bakery. (When we have birthdays at work we normally chip in for an ice cream cake so she went above and beyond that and nobody chipped in to help her!) On top of all this, Winette is constantly treating me (and not without me putting up a fight to pay her back) to lunches and sweet "hungover" potato fries from our favorite delivery place Eatery. She knows I'm a poor kid in TV and never wants (or accepts) my money. She is a true and generous friend and I can't think of anyone else who deserves this wine more (or who'd enjoy it more) than her.
And what bottle am I giving her?
I'm going to go with the Siduri Pinot Noir. I know Jen has a soft spot for the spicy pinots (part of the reason we get along so well) and thought this would be a perfect treat for her and her husband. She recently had a friend pass away from cancer and I think she could use some TLC.
On top of that, she introduced me to Morrell Wine Bar, where I first tried Siduri.
In addition to this bottle for Winette, if I was a dreamer (which I am) and could ideally buy Swimster a really special (and pricey) gift for his birthday coming up on Tuesday, it would be a bottle of 1979 Petrus, for the year he was born.
Happy sipping friends!
And I almost forgot. I tag Chef Paz.
p.s. I just watched The Polar Express and was crying. Help! I must be a real sucker for Christmas and the memories of Santa and just believing...
'Tis the season for me to get my creative gift-giving ideas flowing and might as well start with a virtual wine gift.
The Gift of Wine Meme started at Basic Juice and asks:
If you were to give a wine out of your own cellar/collection/shelf/fridge as a gift this year, which wine would it be, who would receive it, and why?
Let me write myself through my options. I already got Mom a great big bottle of bubbly Veuve Clicquot for her birthday, which we enjoyed before our Thanksgiving feast. The coolest thing about it was the bright orange ice jacket it
came in. And Dad gladly admits, he's more of a beer guy. Give him a 6-pack of a microbrew or Stella Artois and he's good to go. I'd consider my brother but he's not really a wine drinker either. And if you're giving the gift of wine from your "cellar", it has to go to someone who truly appreciates good wine...Winette! My coworker and partner in sangria and wine bars around the city. I can't believe it didn't occur to me sooner. "How do I appreciate thee? Let me count the ways..." and give you some wine! She motivates me at work on a daily basis, inspiring me to take my writing to the next level. She not only brought me back a bottle of white wine from her trip to Russia for my birthday, but she bought me a bottle of Veuve on top of that. And the next day at work I had two enormous bags sitting on my chair and inside I found boxes and boxes of cupcakes from Buttercup Bakery. (When we have birthdays at work we normally chip in for an ice cream cake so she went above and beyond that and nobody chipped in to help her!) On top of all this, Winette is constantly treating me (and not without me putting up a fight to pay her back) to lunches and sweet "hungover" potato fries from our favorite delivery place Eatery. She knows I'm a poor kid in TV and never wants (or accepts) my money. She is a true and generous friend and I can't think of anyone else who deserves this wine more (or who'd enjoy it more) than her.
And what bottle am I giving her?
I'm going to go with the Siduri Pinot Noir. I know Jen has a soft spot for the spicy pinots (part of the reason we get along so well) and thought this would be a perfect treat for her and her husband. She recently had a friend pass away from cancer and I think she could use some TLC.
On top of that, she introduced me to Morrell Wine Bar, where I first tried Siduri.
In addition to this bottle for Winette, if I was a dreamer (which I am) and could ideally buy Swimster a really special (and pricey) gift for his birthday coming up on Tuesday, it would be a bottle of 1979 Petrus, for the year he was born.
Happy sipping friends!And I almost forgot. I tag Chef Paz.
p.s. I just watched The Polar Express and was crying. Help! I must be a real sucker for Christmas and the memories of Santa and just believing...



16 Comments:
That ice jacket is the coolest thing ever!
I know right? And I haven't been able to find another one anywhere..guess I'll have to buy them online from now on..
What a great post, Mona, and I am envious of your friend. The description of the wine has me drooling and I may have to hunt a bottle down here in Phoenix.
And don't fret about the crying over the movie. I lose it everytime I watch "It's a Wonderful Life."
LOL! Oh, wow! This will be quite a challenge for me, since I know nothing about wine. haha! I'll see what I can come up with, though. ;-)
Winette sounds like a wonderful friend and coworker.
From what you indicate, I'd love to see Polor Express. Over Thanksgiving, saw Miracle on 34th Street. Loved it. And can't wait to see my all time favorite -- It's a Wonderful Life. Funny. I never get tired of watching those movies....
Have a good one, All!
Paz
Seth, Hey there. Ha, yah you should really go check out your local wine store for Siduri. It's great and won't put a hole in your pocket. I appreciate your understanding of my sobs during P.Express :) I haven't seeen IaWL in a long time I think that will be on the list of holiday flix to see.
Paz, really? Oh no! Well I had no idea. I guess just think of this as a learning exercise :) HA! And yes, I don't quite understand why P. Express wasn't a slam-dunk hit. The story is a classic, the animation will knock your socks off, and to top it off the music is so beautiful. Definitely check it out. If you need some consultation on the wine gifto you know where to find me :)
Loved the Post Mon! :D
if i were in tv, living in ny, i would also be poor and on a never ending search for some hangover food with you! :)
Thanks for playing Mona. Very nice, indeed. I added a link on 'the big list'
I welcome any of Mona's visitors to participate in our little holiday wine giving experiment.
Cheers,
beau
Thanks Alicat! Nice! Something about sweet potatoes gets me every time...
Beau, thanks for writing! I do hope other people will participate :) I'm eager to keep reading other people's favorites-I'm always looking for new bottles.
Hey Mona,
I'm with your dad on wine. I'll take a six-pack of Alaskan Amber any day.
I changed my url if you stopped by and I wasn't home.
Glad you were!
~Kath
Everyone should have a Winette in their life.
*Fishtaxi, oh good to know, thanks for the update. I will have to check it out. So funny about the brew. I mean, I have my beer cravings don't get me wrong, but not as frequent as the wine cravings :)
*Barbara, yes yes we do. Hope all's well in NZ!
Regarding your comment on my site, I just finished Garlic & Sapphires and really enjoyed it. I just bought "Tender at the Bone" and looking forward to that one, too. Weren't you reading one of Friedman's books a while back? Did you finish?
*Janice, ashamed to admit, no I have not finished Friedman, which goes against my whole reading credo..but I have an excuse. I left a bag of costume accessories at a friend's apt, and my book happened to be in there (read it on subway to work) and I have not retrieved the bag from my friend's apt-it's ridiculous sounding I know... but am loving Ruth! and I will finish Friedman-everybody who's literate should read it.
Melissa, thanks so much :) I can't find it sadly in stores anywhere. So I'll have to keep buying it online...
How dare you i say, how darest thee! I love a good red wine. It can't be dry, it has to hit you just as you swish it around in your mouth that first time your palette can taste those fresh fruity flavors. The one thing i hate about cheap wine is well it's cheap for one thing and it you only buy cheap wine because you're cheap and you're trying to get drunk or get some girl friends drunk, but no. A great wine will actually refresh you. Something most good wine's still can't even do, but a great wine can. So mona when you find that wine give me a call.
-Your lil bro!
Mona may be "poor" now, but if I were at the helm at Martha's company, I'd be watching this growing little blog.......
*Paz, oh goodie I'll check it out.
*Loonyx, yeaah! I've finally got some family support here. Took you long enough loony :) And that is good to know for the future of my wine gift-giving exploits :) Miss you and can't wait to see you in a few weeks.
*Avery, thanks Ave, good ol' Martha. And to think cc and I watch her so loyally during our edit sessions ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home