Les Halles Brasserie
Swimster and I were walking around trying to find a breakfast place in his neighborhood. I would have gone to Friend of a Farmer had I known it was going to be so difficult. There were a couple places we'd already tried but I was on the hunt for a new place. I would have been happy stopping in the diner the Police Academy kids frequent but "diner" was not in Swimster's vocabulary that morning.
We eventually stumbled upon Brasserie Les Halles, and since we're both fans of Anthony Bourdain we decided to give it a try.
There was a small cluster of forlorn-looking staff huddled around the front podium, with tired faces wishing they weren't at work so early on a Saturday morning. We were the third party eating breakfast and luckily the host gave us a window seat.
We hadn't even put our bags down when the server asked us what we wanted to drink. Please. My scarf is in a knot. My hat is stuck in my hair. My gloves are still on and I'm wearing three layers of jackets. I just want to take them off and sit down before I'm being asked about drinks. When we did sit down, I wished she had let me look at the menu as something called the "Les Halles morning cocktail" caught my eye: a trio of freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juices with a splash of cranberry juice.
The menu was divided into two sections: an American breakfast section and a petit dejeuner parisien section. Unfortunately, nothing in either of the sections was really jumping out at me. I remember the croissants in Paris were always delicious but not enough to really fill me until lunchtime. And even the American choices were not all that impressive. Perhaps instead of worrying about giving the diner the choice of picking between the two, just make enough authentic French choices that will blow them away and make them happy they walked in.
Swimster asked for the steak and eggs and I chose the crepes. And we waited for a good half hour for them to show up. Thank goodness I had some of Swimster's coffee to hold me over, or so I thought. They served the coffee in an individual coffee cup maker and at first it seemed like a convenient and practical device. Only once it sits for five minutes the container and its contents become cold, like the last shower in the morning of a family of four. I should have hopped across the street to Starbucks for a hot cup o' joe. As we continued to wait, I wondered if they were waiting for Bourdain to get back from his trip to Iceland before they cooked our food.
The entrees finally came and they looked tired, tired of sitting on the kitchen counter ready to come out to us. But someone neglected them. That or the chefs weren't too keen on timing that morning.
I cut into my crepes and was disappointed with the first bite of the nutella one. ( I chose two sugar crepes and one nutella one.) Whenever I ordered crepes in France with nutella the nutella melted into a nice thin layer of chocolate, like you'd find sitting atop a sundae. This nutella was thick, barely hot, and had the consistency of peanut butter. If I'm eating a nutella sandwich (which I did every day for two years when I lived in France) that's great. But no thank you in a crepe. I was almost afraid to move on to the other two after this sad start. And when I bit into the second one my fear was justified. I assumed I would be getting a crepe with confectioners sugar and butter. Well they put granulated sugar in their crepes and with every bite it felt like I was eating sand. Maybe Bourdain shouldn't have quit his day job to go off on his culinary adventure "No Reservations." His restaurant might not be suffering so...
Swimster's steak and eggs looked edible. The eggs were the freshest thing on the plate and cooked to his liking. The steak was lukewarm and the potatoes were room temperature. Could things get any worse?
Since I was so bummed with my breakfast choice, and never have the gall to send things back to the kitchen, I decided to give Les Halles one more chance and ordered a croissant. La piece de resistance. The croissant was flaky, buttery, and right out of the oven. Thank goodness something made me happy.
I really wanted to like this restaurant. Not only because of its famous chef and kitchen personality, but for its interior charm as well. It had the dark cherry wood, the glass dividers, and the tall ceilings that made it feel like a slightly oversized French bistro. But the atmosphere is wheeling and dealing to overcompensate for the lack of taste/care put into the food.
No apples for Les Halles. Take me to Balthazar.
411 Park Ave South, between 28th and 29th St.
212-679-4111
We eventually stumbled upon Brasserie Les Halles, and since we're both fans of Anthony Bourdain we decided to give it a try.
There was a small cluster of forlorn-looking staff huddled around the front podium, with tired faces wishing they weren't at work so early on a Saturday morning. We were the third party eating breakfast and luckily the host gave us a window seat.
We hadn't even put our bags down when the server asked us what we wanted to drink. Please. My scarf is in a knot. My hat is stuck in my hair. My gloves are still on and I'm wearing three layers of jackets. I just want to take them off and sit down before I'm being asked about drinks. When we did sit down, I wished she had let me look at the menu as something called the "Les Halles morning cocktail" caught my eye: a trio of freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juices with a splash of cranberry juice.
The menu was divided into two sections: an American breakfast section and a petit dejeuner parisien section. Unfortunately, nothing in either of the sections was really jumping out at me. I remember the croissants in Paris were always delicious but not enough to really fill me until lunchtime. And even the American choices were not all that impressive. Perhaps instead of worrying about giving the diner the choice of picking between the two, just make enough authentic French choices that will blow them away and make them happy they walked in.
Swimster asked for the steak and eggs and I chose the crepes. And we waited for a good half hour for them to show up. Thank goodness I had some of Swimster's coffee to hold me over, or so I thought. They served the coffee in an individual coffee cup maker and at first it seemed like a convenient and practical device. Only once it sits for five minutes the container and its contents become cold, like the last shower in the morning of a family of four. I should have hopped across the street to Starbucks for a hot cup o' joe. As we continued to wait, I wondered if they were waiting for Bourdain to get back from his trip to Iceland before they cooked our food.
The entrees finally came and they looked tired, tired of sitting on the kitchen counter ready to come out to us. But someone neglected them. That or the chefs weren't too keen on timing that morning.
I cut into my crepes and was disappointed with the first bite of the nutella one. ( I chose two sugar crepes and one nutella one.) Whenever I ordered crepes in France with nutella the nutella melted into a nice thin layer of chocolate, like you'd find sitting atop a sundae. This nutella was thick, barely hot, and had the consistency of peanut butter. If I'm eating a nutella sandwich (which I did every day for two years when I lived in France) that's great. But no thank you in a crepe. I was almost afraid to move on to the other two after this sad start. And when I bit into the second one my fear was justified. I assumed I would be getting a crepe with confectioners sugar and butter. Well they put granulated sugar in their crepes and with every bite it felt like I was eating sand. Maybe Bourdain shouldn't have quit his day job to go off on his culinary adventure "No Reservations." His restaurant might not be suffering so...
Swimster's steak and eggs looked edible. The eggs were the freshest thing on the plate and cooked to his liking. The steak was lukewarm and the potatoes were room temperature. Could things get any worse?
Since I was so bummed with my breakfast choice, and never have the gall to send things back to the kitchen, I decided to give Les Halles one more chance and ordered a croissant. La piece de resistance. The croissant was flaky, buttery, and right out of the oven. Thank goodness something made me happy.
I really wanted to like this restaurant. Not only because of its famous chef and kitchen personality, but for its interior charm as well. It had the dark cherry wood, the glass dividers, and the tall ceilings that made it feel like a slightly oversized French bistro. But the atmosphere is wheeling and dealing to overcompensate for the lack of taste/care put into the food.
No apples for Les Halles. Take me to Balthazar.
411 Park Ave South, between 28th and 29th St.
212-679-4111



22 Comments:
Mmm I quite like bourdain, we have his shows over here in Blighty too. I'm not too sure he would have liked what you got. Maybe instead of returning it, you should offer to show 'em how it's done! :-)
Nazca, thanks for stopping by!! how are you doing? i know, right? bourdain seems like a really cool guy. maybe he should completely disassociate himself from the restaurants if they're kinda goin down the tubes. or maybe i should try dinner there? but i'm almost afraid to now!!
I've never really got into Bourdain and yet I know there are people out there that adore him.
Oy. Looks like another neglected kitchen riding on the coatails of a former chef.
Have you tried Rue de Crepes on 8th and 15th street?
My experience there was pretty similiar. I ordered a savory crepe of mushrooms and spinach. The crepe itself was mushy, messy and COLD. The mushrooms were barely warm themselves and not cooked thru. And this was in a restaurant that only served CREPES!
I do miss my parisian crepes--nutella and banana...yum!
A suggestion:
Dear Mr.Bourdain:
I've followed your adventures for quite a while now, have enjoyed your book and I thought I'd even enjoy (insert name here) as well.
Details of my experience on recent Sunday morning are detailed in my on line web blog called Mona's Apple. I invite you to take a look at my work. From current estimates I believe we have about XXX thousand readers each week.
My experience at your establishment was far less desirable than planed and as a business owner I am sure you may want to know what transpired and just how your name is being representated.
I'd of course enjoy your feedback and would like to give your property another chance because I realize anyone can have a bad day. The morning I visited (name here) it seemed like many people we're just not up their very best. I wanted to share these thoughts with you.
Regards,
Mona
Mona: (This is very rough, I am at work and distracted but you get the point.) Regards, Avery
A second thought. Mona I am amazed at the level of detail you're able to capture from your adventures. I suspect Swimster (A/K/A Trevor) must had received the real detailed review on your first date. Too bad you didn't have a blog back then. It may have made for some excellent reading......
Barbara, yah. Personality-wise he's a character, and I don't doubt when he worked at the kitchen it was probably a little better off. But he might want to reconsider keeping his ties to the restaurant.
Rose, no haven't tried the crepes place. And I guess I shouldn't-ha!
Too bad. Yah I've seen some crepe restaurants on the upper west side and I'm a little weary of trying them...good to know I have reason now.
Avery, thanks for writing. Yah I'm wondering if I have the gall to send a letter like that. What are some other peoples' thoughts? I mean, it couldn't hurt...thanks for taking the time to put that together. I'll let you know if I go through with it, which I very well might.
mona, pay a visit to cookiecrumb. you're tagged for a dreaded meme, but I can't find your email.
your review is priceless.
(are you kidding me? they actually serve nutella in France? too scary. stuff ya never knew.)
*Cookiecrumb, ha will check it out. Dreaded meme? That doesn't sound good... ha!
Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I had a mediocre dinner there once; I just wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. (But the french fries were great!)
Mebeth, good to know! Wow! SHould have just ordered a side of frites with breakfast, I've been known to do that before....
Sorry to interrupt your post...but I'd like to tag you for the Top Ten Foods Meme....please play along if you can!
http://breadbox.typepad.com/breadbox/2005/12/top_ten_foods_m.html
Alice
*Oh no Alice, I've already been tagged for that very same meme. Can't wait to get to it..i guess this means you have a free tag to tag someone else-haa ;)
It sounds like they imported a little of that famous Parisian brasserie attitude just for you!
Les Halles is one of my favorite dinner spots in NY (I too was drawn in by hero worship after reading Kitchen Confidential).
In fact, they are somewhat essential as they have the only decent choucroute this side of the Atlantic.
All that being said, I would take Balthazar over Les Halles any day!
I have been to Les Halles on a crowded evening and just had a quick appetizer (petatou de chevre, made with a baked potato and goat cheese) at the bar with a glass of wine. I think it was overpriced, as in all French restaurants, but I found it very good, even subtle and filling. I should go to breakfast or dinner to see how well they do.
As for the 1/2 hour wait, you have been to France, you know it's the standard waiting time out there
:-( This is something I really dislike about restaurants in France: you can never have a quick meal...
*Two Eggs, maybe I'll have to stop in and try the choucroute! Wish I had known about that before :) Hope you're having a good weekend!
*Jnster, you are so right. Ha :) I know I know, the wait would have been tolerable though if the food had been piping hot.
I like Bourdain's cookbook and thought it would be nice to go to his restaurant if I went to N.Y. some day. They really served crepes with nutella and normal sugar? Seems that only Bourdain's name remains...
*Claudia, yah quite miserable. Now don't get me wrong. Crepes with nutella are usually great when they're hot. They just barely cooked them at LHB so it was a huge letdown. Thanks for visiting!
Hey Mona,
That stinks...alas it's not too surprising. Les Halles has been on a downward spiral for years. Even the one on Jay Street downtown is just "okay".
It's too bad Park Bistro doesn't do Brunch (its right across the street from Les Halles) as I'm sure it would be excellent.
One thing to note...Artisanal does a good brunch from what I'm told, which is also in the neighborhood.
Another Sunday brunch option is Barca 18...which I can't wait to try out. I went on a Saturday for brunch but found out that they only have brunch on Sundays...
See ya!
MM
Badge, you're kidding. AAH! I saw Park Bistro across the street and we went with LH instead. DANG IT! And I had no idea Artisinal had a brunch. That's a great option because we haven't been able to head there for dinner yet. Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely be checking those out, but probably not till Jan '06. Swimster's got finals and I'm partied /money-ed out :)
I was interested in trying that place!...kinda. I love reading Anthony Bourdain's books. Sorry about your disappointing breakfast! I never go all out with breakfast, maybe just a scone or something, but I've wanted to try Balthazar. Oo well, someday...
Robyn, you should definitely try Balthazar someday. I haven't been in a really long time, I think I owe it a visit:)
Post a Comment
<< Home