12 Days of Christmas (in reverse)
Swimster came up with a fun idea the other day. He suggested doing a gift guide for my blogging friends. I liked the idea and decided to come up with a list... but only with a slight twist.
I was watching Oprah a couple weeks ago and she was doing her annual "My Favorite Things" show. In case you haven't seen it before, her and her producers handpick the audience based on their exceptional contributions to the community in 2005. This year's audience was made up of special souls who uprooted themselves to help those left with nothing in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. I watched with wide eyes as Oprah went through her favorite things: I-Pods and TVs and baked goods and beauty products and sweaters and sneakers...oh my! And the best part of it all, she gives everyone in the audience EVERY SINGLE ITEM she goes through. Oprah has a lot of money and it's wonderful to see her sharing some of her wealth with the unexpecting audience (last year it was a group of well-deserving teachers). I'm always one for creative gift-giving but in my poor girl's mind, "It's the thought that counts"- not the pricetag. Though I do not have the bank account of ten kings like Oprah, it was still fun to ponder possible favorite things, and who I would share them with.
Without further ado, I made up "My Favorite Things" list for the kitchen, and in honor of the 12 Days of Christmas, I will post one item per day (as a sort of Xmas countdown). And I will choose someone each day who would, in my ideal world, receive this gift. In case you didn't know, the real 12 Days of Christmas officially starts on Christmas Day. And goes until the beginning of the Epiphany on January 6th, as my co-worker 60MinuteMan pointed out. So, I guess you could call this the 12 Days of Christmas -in reverse :)
Do I own or use these things myself? Not necessarily. Would I like to enjoy them someday? Yes. Will I be able to afford to buy any of these things for anyone this Christmas? No. But will I someday? I hope...yes.
"On the 1st day of Christmas my true love sent to me..."
Keurig
I can't tell you how many times I'm home and I never know how many teaspoons or tablespoons or filters-worth of coffee I need to pour in the coffeemaker to make myself a good balanced cup.
This nifty little single-serve machine solves this problem! And you can choose from 70 different flavors of tea and coffee, or as they call them, K-cups. Once you pick your variety, you pop it in the container, close the lid, pick your mug size, and voila. When you close the lid, it pokes a hole in the covering and instantly brews your own hot drink of choice. And the best thing about this? No mess. You just toss the empty K-cup when it's finished brewing. Before I get one for myself, I think I need to seriously think about getting one for my dad. He's notorious for making a 12-cup pot of coffee, which would be fine if we were on the set of "Cheaper By the Dozen," but he's always the only one drinking it. And mom can't stand the waste of coffee. Mom, Dad, I know you're both reading this and hope this gave you a nice chuckle.*
Who would you buy this for?
I was watching Oprah a couple weeks ago and she was doing her annual "My Favorite Things" show. In case you haven't seen it before, her and her producers handpick the audience based on their exceptional contributions to the community in 2005. This year's audience was made up of special souls who uprooted themselves to help those left with nothing in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. I watched with wide eyes as Oprah went through her favorite things: I-Pods and TVs and baked goods and beauty products and sweaters and sneakers...oh my! And the best part of it all, she gives everyone in the audience EVERY SINGLE ITEM she goes through. Oprah has a lot of money and it's wonderful to see her sharing some of her wealth with the unexpecting audience (last year it was a group of well-deserving teachers). I'm always one for creative gift-giving but in my poor girl's mind, "It's the thought that counts"- not the pricetag. Though I do not have the bank account of ten kings like Oprah, it was still fun to ponder possible favorite things, and who I would share them with.
Without further ado, I made up "My Favorite Things" list for the kitchen, and in honor of the 12 Days of Christmas, I will post one item per day (as a sort of Xmas countdown). And I will choose someone each day who would, in my ideal world, receive this gift. In case you didn't know, the real 12 Days of Christmas officially starts on Christmas Day. And goes until the beginning of the Epiphany on January 6th, as my co-worker 60MinuteMan pointed out. So, I guess you could call this the 12 Days of Christmas -in reverse :)
Do I own or use these things myself? Not necessarily. Would I like to enjoy them someday? Yes. Will I be able to afford to buy any of these things for anyone this Christmas? No. But will I someday? I hope...yes.
"On the 1st day of Christmas my true love sent to me..."
Keurig
I can't tell you how many times I'm home and I never know how many teaspoons or tablespoons or filters-worth of coffee I need to pour in the coffeemaker to make myself a good balanced cup.

This nifty little single-serve machine solves this problem! And you can choose from 70 different flavors of tea and coffee, or as they call them, K-cups. Once you pick your variety, you pop it in the container, close the lid, pick your mug size, and voila. When you close the lid, it pokes a hole in the covering and instantly brews your own hot drink of choice. And the best thing about this? No mess. You just toss the empty K-cup when it's finished brewing. Before I get one for myself, I think I need to seriously think about getting one for my dad. He's notorious for making a 12-cup pot of coffee, which would be fine if we were on the set of "Cheaper By the Dozen," but he's always the only one drinking it. And mom can't stand the waste of coffee. Mom, Dad, I know you're both reading this and hope this gave you a nice chuckle.*
Who would you buy this for?



12 Comments:
Oh goodness, I'm in trouble. I love kitchen gadgets and I'm afraid I'll go out and buy all your gifts (for myself, hehehehe). I'm off to google the Keurig!
Janice :) HA! That is great :) Yah I didn't think I was going to buy this fun toy but I might suck it up and buy it and it can be everyone's present in Carmel. They would all use it.
I'm the coffee-drinker in the family so I guess I would get it for myself...except I almost always drink more than a cup (or 2 or 3), hehe :) Bad, bad, ok, I'll try to give your next gift to someone else...but no promises! :)
Monica, thanks for your posts on my blog! Miss you too. My freelance hours are up for '05, but hopefully, I'll see you in early '06! I love that
coffeemaker. I need one of those! Have a great Christmas and New Year!
I don't drink coffee, tastes like ground beans in boiled water to me. But I can handle the smell! I think everyone loves the smell. Therefore, I'd buy it for someone on the express condition that I get to smell it bubbling away in the morning :-)
Joey, too funny. More than one cup,eh? Naughtynaughty:) haa, just teasing. I've cut myself off from all caffeine so I always drink decaf. I guess we cover both ends of the spectrum!
Janet, but of course! Yah, Carolina told me about it..Are you coming to our party on Friday? CC says she's getting bombed because her finals/papers are over. Would love to see you!
Nazca, really? That is too funny. That's what I thought of it when I was little but I've acquired the taste for it. No worries, you can get the tea bags for the Keurig. I'll make sure you get a good variety.
wooo I've been wanting one of those!! :)
so, you are giving me something, right? lol :)
oh yes my dear..you just wait :)
thats so cute! i love my senseo which also does single cups of coffee but with little coffee pads. Those colourful cups are cute! and very apropos, Keurig is Dutch for 'neat' in a precise type of way. neat/tidy. excellent name for a product like that :)
Catesa, that is so cool! I had no idea! Thanks for enlightening us all. I love it. Will have to check out your toy too. I can't picture what coffee pads are....
i will be happy to take a photo for you :D
Catesa, nice!
Post a Comment
<< Home