Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Modern

But first, Happy Happy New Year to all!! I've been recovering from post-Holiday syndrome, but I am alive and kicking:)

Swimster and I wanted a good dinner before he left for the long Christmas break (he gets back today-yippee!). He also wanted to celebrate his exams being over (and believe me, I wanted to celebrate too). We tossed around a few names and looked up some restaurant picks on the internet: Esca, Babbo, Del Friscos, and finally decided on MoMa's The Modern (if you can figure out if there's anything more to this website besides the beautiful pictures and a direct link to Opentable.com please let me know).

The Modern is conveniently a five minute walk from my offices so we headed there straight after work. We were a little bit confused where the entrance was. There seemed to be a different MoMa doorway every twenty yards along the 53rd Street block between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.

When we walked in to what promised to be the restaurant entrance, I was immediately sucked in to the all-white serpentine hallway with its elegant slender green plants. I felt like I was walking onto the set of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", and half expected an Oompa Loompa to walk us to our table. But was jolted from my reverie when a pretty hostess stopped us at her podium and I glimpsed the bar room. A long sleek bar with shelves, shelves, and more shelves of liquor, probably the size of a 25-yard swimming pool. The shining ceiling was spotless and reflecting all the light in the room.

We were brought to our table on a sort of wooden platform that made up the bar room eating area. At some point into the dinner, I heard music I knew but couldn't put a finger on the artist. Naturally, I spoke up and asked the waitress what CD was playing. When I heard her say, "Oh, I think it's Moby," it was confirmed. I knew I felt we were eating on a dance floor. No wonder. The floor, the music, it all started to make sense. I'd never eaten dinner to the tune of a trance-like Moby song before, and I quite enjoyed it.




The Modern is a creation of Danny Meyer (of 11 Madison Park, Gramercy Tavern, Union Square Cafe, and Tabla fame). I have really enjoyed two of his other restaurants and was hoping to enjoy this one equally. The Menu boasts French-American cuisine of Chef Gabriel Kreuther and is split up into three sections. You're recommended to choose one dish from each section, as a kind of build-your-own meal. But unlike what you would assume, it's not simply appetizer, entree, and dessert. It's actually appetizer, a sort of mid-appetizer (for lack of a better term), and entree.

I chose the arctic char tartare with pesto from dishes under "One". It came on a square glass plate with air bubbles. The plate was curved so only the left and right edges touched the table. The char tartare was sitting in the center, in a neatly flattened cube. It was chilled to Arctic temperatures, thank goodness, and the little chunks of char tasted sweet with the pesto trimming. Swimster chose the grilled shrimp with gruyere served on an equally eye-catching dish. The only problem with Swimster's shrimp was they forgot to add the gruyere. There was no inkling of the flavorful cheese anywhere. We tried playing a small game of hide and seek, hoping we'd find a small shred of it hidden somewhere, but no luck. For dish "Two" as noted on the menu, we shared a cassolette of fingerling potato, smoked tongue, and raclette cheese. I went out on a limb here for Swimster, because I know he likes the more exotic meat dishes. And I surprised myself. The tongue bites were chewy and had a real salty kick to them. I recommend this to the carnivores out there. For dish "Three" I chose the steak au poivre with spinach and spaetzle. (By now you could have guessed that, right?) The steak was a little on the miniature side and not oozing with warmth and softness like I hoped. It was slightly tough. The highlight of this dish was the spaetzle. It was cooked perfect with crispy, lightly-charred edges. I would go back for this in a second. Swimster went with the roast quail with chestnut-sage stuffing on spaghetti squash. The quail reminded me of Disney's animated Christmas Carol. You know why? Because it looked like it shrank, like the bird the Cratchit family eats for Christmas Eve dinner. I remember the bird being a pitiful miniature turkey, like the quail Swimster ate. Swimster liked the flavor but was not so impressed by the quantity he was paying for.

We weren't sure what to choose for dessert, and after small portions, we certainly had room. Thanks to a recommendation by our friendly server we chose the beignets (ben-YAYS and French for a French market donut) as they sounded warm and luxurious. And boy were they ever! The beignets were one of the best desserts I have ever had, and one of the more fun to eat too. They were warm doughy pieces... the Ferrari of donuts...and served with maple ice cream, caramel, and citrus mango marmelade. The beignets matched the shape of dough used to make the baguette seen here, that resembles wheat grain. I would go back to the Modern just for drinks and this dessert, and maybe a side of spaetzle.

Overall, I'd say we were slightly disappointed by The Modern. Swimster was really disappointed. I wouldn't go that far. It's always tough to decide on apples once we leave. I always ask for his advice, and while I certainly appreciate and want his suggestions, sometimes I may not agree. And since I am the reviewer. In the case of the Modern, we both agreed.

Two apples to the Modern, or the Upset.


*Click here for reservations to try it out for yourself *
9 West 53rd Street, b/t 5th and 6th Avenues
(212) 333-1220


20 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Several remarks:
1) What's your highest rating of apples, just so I'll have a baseline/
2) I want those spaetzle!
3) Since you're California/NY bicoastal, what did you think of the ambience of the dining room? Sounds cold. Compared with CA restaurants.
4) I like Danny Meyer, but I think he's a Californian trying to Californicate NY! (Except for the cold dining room.) :D

9:10 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Hey mona...the winners were announced on pim's blog. here's the post:

http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/2006/01/menu_for_hope_i.html#more

11:24 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Style, but little substance. Le sigh. At least the beignets were good!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mona -- been missing your blogs! Glad you're back.
Yummmm beignets -- I wonder if the Cafe du Monde in French Quarter is open again?
I am a devout carnivore, but I just can't get past the word "tongue" -- wonder what the French word for that is??
The gnocchi recipe I posted was really pretty good. I'm going to try another recipe w/ regular flour to compare differences with semolina and AP flour.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Oh my I LOVE Beignets! I been to a lot of art museums and for some reason the restaurants are never that good. The Indianapolis Museum of Art just got a Wolfgang Puck restaurant, but I have yet to try it. I have visions of them just opening a can of Pucks soup! haha

11:29 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

CC, how are you? Happy New Year. Loved your remarks. Ok, you bring something up that I really need to take care of. If anyone's reading this and has any ideas, please help:) Figure out how to place my rating system in the sidebar so everyone can see it.
1) apples: Right now I'm going with one apple being worst, then two apples, three apples, and a GOLDEN apple for really incredible (best food of my life) kind of stuff.
2) Ambience was definitely cold. I mean, I enjoy that kind of atmosphere and I sort of expected it from the Museum of Modern Art, but I will have to say we were NOT in the dining room, which has large windows looking out to a courtyard of the museum. Very different from the bar room I was in.
3) I had no idea DM is a CA boy. I had a hard time finding any autobiographical information on him...

Rose, that's great. thanks for the link. Will definitely check that out. I'm so out of the loop right now!!

S'kat, love le sigh. That sums it up pretty good!

Janice, my favorite Georgian. What's going on! Tongue in French is "langue." So be on the look out. And yes Cafe du Monde is open again...we reported it at work.

I.F., Puck in the museum , huh? Let me know what you think if you end up trying it. That could easily go either way..I'm picturing the frozen pizzas-ha!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Glad to have you back in our city and eating again :-)

Sorry about the wallet-- went through that not long ago, myself. I left it on the bumper of a car (duh!) while 'queing and they drove away with it!!

Danny Meyer is from St. Louis...

3:26 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

BC, oh really? What the heck? Thanks for that clarification:) Bumper of a car. Wow. Can't top that!

4:05 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Mona: Well, I didn't mean he is a California boy; I just meant he's a "Californian" in style. Makes little sense, I know. But when hubster and I ate at Tabla and then wandered next door to 11 Madison, we found all the staffers seemed to be from California. I think we even recognized the host.
And BC knows where he's from! (My parents are from St. Louis too.)
xx

4:43 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*CookieCrumb, ohhhhh I gotcha. I figured after BC's comment that's probably what you meant. My bad my bad:) That is funny, I was at Tabla last night. Amazing how much I enjoyed that place but thought Modern was just so-so. More to come on that front...Do you guys get out here a lot?

4:55 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Mona: True quote that has passed my lips many a time: "I haven't flown since 9/11."
But actually, I haven't flown since before 9/11 -- and it has strictly to do with my dogs. Way back when, the last time I actually got on a plane ('99? Forget.), was when we went to Tabla. Then my two doggies got too old, and my vet wouldn't let me board them anymore, so we didn't travel. Then, after the second doggie died, we got a new pup right away. And I've never boarded him... God, what a sentimental wuss.

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The beignets at The Modern are one of the best desserts I have ever had. No doubt about it. Phenomenal. Would go back just for those.

Cookiecrumb -- Interesting that you think that Danny Meyer is trying to California-ize NY... he is, after all, trying to model the Shake Shack after In-and-Out Burger.....

12:32 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

I kind of agree about the Danny Meyer comments, too. Few of his restaurants, with the exception of maybe Gramercy Tavern exude alot of NYC charm. The clean, laid back mood at Union Square Cafe' seems to have some of that NoCal vibe...

11:19 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Cookiecrumb, no that's best. My parents have actually decided against buying a new dog (since our bernese passed away about a year ago) because of the flying issue. My mom spends half the time in CA and half the time in CT and wants to wait until she and my dad are out in CA permanently before buying a new dog. I think your vet has the right idea. And I heard anyway that the airlines are going to stop allowing pets to fly. Again, the right idea.

Swimster, wow. You left a comment. Hooray! That's a first. And I totally forgot about the Shake Shack/In-and-Out thing.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your apple rating system and the new banner above. Great job!

Paz

9:35 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Swimster! awesome.

10:21 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

You may be right about the Californiazation, but I can't complain about the Shake Shack! (Although it doesn't quite rival In-n-Out)

6:27 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Paz, thanks :) Took some fine tuning thanks to some friends on food scool but finally made it work.

Mebeth, word to the Shake Shack. I think it's great! And the concreations are pretty unique in themselves, right?

11:48 AM  
Blogger Michael Mahle said...

Welcome back Mona. Did you in the dining room or the bar room? I understand that the menus, and possibly quantities, are different in each room. I haven't eaten there so can't comment, but perhaps you were in the bar room? I dunno.

Regarding Danny Meyer, he modeled the Shake Shack not necessarily after In-Out-Burger but rather the inspiration for the kiosk came from the classic roadside food joints across America.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_newsroom/daily_plants/daily_plant_main.php?id=18712

1:24 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Hey Badge, we ate in the bar room. They said the menu offerings were the same in the dining room. SO I can't imagine they'd just skimp on our portions. I'll have to double check on that though.
Thanks for the article link, I'm checking that out right now.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.