Monday, January 16, 2006

Pommes Frites

Go to Pommes Frites and go there now.

Swimster and I braved the chilling temperatures last night in ski pants and ski hats, as if we were going out to make snow angels, and grabbed ourselves a large cone of fries from Pommes Frites.

My mom had been mentioning the place to me for about a year now and last night, for some reason, nothing sounded more perfect than a quick brisk walk to the home of some Belgian fries.
There was a short line of other great minds, and we didn't have to wait long at all.

The young kid behind the counter was friendly and helpful and served us up a large cone of fries as thick as your fingers. Swimster ordered the poutine (more Canadian than Belgian), served in a styrofoam cup with fries swimming in gravy and curd cheddar cheese. This is apparently one of their specialties and I'm certain a hit among the boys. I don't like soggy fries so I stayed away from this for the most part, though I was caught dipping some crispy critters into the cheesy abyss.

The highlight of PF is the plethora of sauces you can choose from. We tried the sampler of three: parmesan peppercorn, roasted garlic mayo, and "especial" which is onions on top of ketchup on top of mayo. You can't go wrong with either of these. Swimster went up to our friend behind the counter and scored a couple more samples. One of pesto mayo and one of sweet chili sauce. I surprisingly did enjoy the combo of pesto and fry, though I wasn't as fond of the chili sauce. It was like dipping a fry into a Chinese sauce for fried wontons. Not my thing.

I am still stuffed from the fries, but there was nothing better on a cold wintry night.

*I was hoping to include a picture I took from my cell phone but it isn't sending to my email address. I found a site that has pictures of exactly what we ate so click here and thank Holly for having pictures.*

123 2nd Ave. (2nd Ave. between 7 & 8 St.)
212-674-1234

24 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

They used to have a venue near mid-town but it closed a while back. It's such a trek to 2nd ave for me (I know I shouldn't complain). I will have to make the trip now :-)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ha, I know , right?
The only reason I went is because it's by Swimster's pad. It's nowhere near mine either. I think we're in the same hood sister.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Oh my. Not on my diet, but they look delicious. In Utah they have a concoction called "fry sauce". It's a blend of mayo and mustard, sometimes with pickle juice. Very delicioso on fries.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Nazca said...

MMMM CHIPS! That an englishman's staple diet (after curry ofcourse). What's all the fuss? :-)

5:17 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Kalyn, that does sound delicious. I will have to try that on my own sometime!

Naz, hooray for chips. Chips after curry? Ha, that's a first...or you mean curry is your #1 staple, and then chips, oh I see I see I see :)

7:16 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Could you believe how many times I've passed this place but haven't gone? (sigh) I know I can't go there alone cos...I can't eat a crapload of fries by myself. But I have yet to be in a situation with someone else where we both want fries. Sad.

...soooomeday...must go.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Robyn, you must you must you must! It's so worth it. No friends to get fries with? Who you hanging' out with girlfriend? :) Give me a call next time you're in the hood and I'll conveniently poke my head in to steal a fry...

7:49 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Sounds great Mona. I used to order fries and gravy at the local drive inn.. when I was a wee lad.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Butterbemme said...

Ugh! What a crazy composition of "dip" ;-).
I don't like fries (or as we say in Germany: "pommes" with an S). A long, long time ago I had to much. They went trough my head (again). You know what I mean?! ;-)

But I think the whole dip-stuff was not in mind of the inventor :-))

Bon jour

8:23 AM  
Blogger Banlieue Blog said...

wow....I'm jealous!
I just 'taught' a class on the famous frit.....how to poach the tators, then crisp 'em...2 step process!
I also tried to teach the ladies a version of Samourii Sauce.....spicy mayo sauce seasoned with chili.

Love it!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

We love that place, too. It's a (too frequent) pit stop when we're in the village.

Have you ever tried the mango chili sauce at Blue 9 Burger? That's addictive stuff.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Ed Tep said...

Mona - I walked by this place on my last trip to New York in November. I should have gone in and tried it. Maybe my next trip...

1:34 AM  
Blogger Seth Chadwick said...

I am now crying my eyes out, Mona. SEND ME POMMES FRITES!!!

I miss my days in NYC when I could find a Belgian restaurant for Pommes Frites. Now, there's a stand to get a cup full.

Well, I will take solace in a green corn tamale.

2:06 AM  
Blogger s'kat said...

Wow, timely post. Just last night I was thinking longingly of Dutch frites. And now this. How you tempt and toy!

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings again, Mona! I still have a few comments to make on some things you said in your last post.
1. You said that Brooke walked around Fox "like she owned the place." What do you mean? She's pretty, has confidence and poise, and is outgoing? Gosh, shoot her.
2. You said her grandfather got her the job, a statement that is far from the truth. She graduated from Davidson College, "The Harvard of the South," and speaks five languages. I know it's hard to believe that she's beautiful and smart, too. You must be seething!
3. You say you don't need writing lessons from her. Well, peole who write for broadcast news are a dime a dozen. And who writes the ticker copy? Are they drunk? I've never seen so many grammatical errors in my life! Brooke got her book deal from Scribner, a high-brow, A-list publishing company. That's better than being a disposable writer for a #1 news network, which would still be #1 without you.
Seems you and your pussy possy can dish it, but you just can't take it!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Dear Anon.,

We get it. You think she's great, we don't care. Enough of this petty back and forth b*tching. It's tiring and we're trying to ignore you (if you hadn't noticed).

We're all pretty much food bloggers here and we discuss food and things related to food. Mona wrote a post about the article and left it at that. She's obviously moved on.

If you're interested in Belle and her life, then please stick to commenting on her blog (or yours if you have one).

We're going to continue blogging and commenting on our favorite subject--food. If you continue to comment on one of our blogs, I hope the author deletes your comments because it has nothing to do with what we're writing about from here on in.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

mmmm frites i looooove them we also call them patat. frietjes. frites.

Their 'especial' to be authentic, frites speciaal is with curry ketcthup (1 type of friet saus) mayonnaise & raw onions... no regular tomato ketchup should be on it hehe

There are usually only 3 sauces served so it was funny to see that monster list.

1)mayonnaise
2)friet sauce electric yellow mayo style
3)friet sauce curry ketchup style to go on especial (friets speciaal)

sometimes you get sateh if you are very nice to the snack bar service guy and order something extra ;)

12:00 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

I've replied to all comments in the past and don't plan on changing from this policy on account of some recent hoopla...

Greg, when you were a wee lad, eh? So no more? Come on you deserve some I'm sure.

Paz, ha, yes exactly. It was pretty funny. I'll have to be on the hunt for a frites place on the west side. I must say Backyard Chef already tagged me for this, so if you want to use another free tag go ahead.

Butterbemme, that's too bad...I'm sorry to hear that. RIP pommes frites. That's how I feel about bourbon. HA!

Melissa, your frites class sounds excellent! Wow I'm so jealous! I will have to check out your post about it, assuming you will be writing one ? Hint hint...

BC, no I have not! And that will be on my to try list.

Ed Tep, you walked by it ? And not IN it? Ha, next time next time...

Seth, I have to say tamales are pretty good! I hear a blogging by mail exchange in the works. Though delivery fries are always pretty miserable. Too bad...

S'kat, is it bad to tempt and toy? Hopefully you'll have some to ease the cravings.

And now my favorite, Anon, all I can say is I hope I shall have a friend so loyal and true as you some day. I hope Belle realizes how lucky she is...I can't wait to inform my Harvard grad boyfriend that Davidson is the Harvard of the South. That will give him a good chuckle. I believe you meant peo-P-le and not peole, and poss-e and not possy?

Rose, thanks so much for your words of wisdom. You seem to be the only adult among us. I thought we were over this but apparently not.

Catesa, I learn something new everyday! That's great, I love reading about your version of the sauce:)

1:10 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Delicious said...

Watch out, Mona, the Frites place is addictive! When I lived in the East Village -- about three blocks from this place -- it was often my dinner. Yikes. Fortunately i lived on the 6th floor of a walk-up otherwise I would have weighed 300 pounds by the end of my year there!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

6th floor walkup!?! What!? That's insane!
I think my 4th floor walkup is bad enough!
Yowsas!!
Good to know, we will keep pommes frites a "proceed with caution" place.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Glasgow Detail said...

In the West of Scotland, Glasgow in particular, it is a popular to have chips and curry sauce as a fast food from fish`n`chip shops (fast food). It is usually washed down with a bottle of Irn Bru (out sells Coca Cola here), unless one is drunk, in which case the meal is scattered all over the sidewalk. Traditionally this meal was sold in newspaper wrapping.Its still sold in paper wrapping, but the ammount of low grade fat that it is fried in usually degrades the paper rapidly thus making it quite a handful for the average glasgow drunk.
Sorry to lower the tone, but I thought it would amuse you.
On the other hand we have wonderful game food here, venison, hare, quail etc., great sea and river food and a raft of great scottish chefs to cook it.

6:42 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Lower the tone? You're quite wrong Glasgow! I love it! That is some great stuff right there. Seems like I need to get myself to Scotland...might actually find people who enjoy drinking as much as I do. And I 'm not sure what's better..a warm slice of pepperoni or a crispy cone of fries when you're a little bit intoxicated.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Glasgow Detail said...

Give me the unique aroma and taste of a slice of New York pizza any day.The smell and taste of my first pizza as a child in New Nork is still a fond memory even after all these years.
I will be taking a series of night photos of Glasgow this week and will try and get a good image of a disgarded fish supper, for your edification and delight!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't stopped by Pommes Frites in ages - it was a favorite guilty pleasure when I lived in the east village a few years back! I've moved cross-town, but my mouth waters at the thought of a big cone of tasty fries. By chance, I recently caught Pommes Frites on a recent episode of "Secret Life of... French Fries" on the Food Network. They also stopped for fries at the Jackson Hole Diner in Astoria.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.