Belle of the Ball? or New York City restaurants?
For your amusement, and mine...
The scene: at work, finishing up the show, co-worker calls me into a room to look at this blog and a NY Post article.
The who: girl's picture on page is apparently someone who used to work at our company and co-worker cracking up because he trained her.
The why: said girl is also the alleged "dinner whore." No wonder the theme this morning on the Z-100 talk show was the art of being a "dinner whore," and if it's moral or giving us nice girls a bad rap.
Brooke Parkhurst is the Southern belle and current resident of New York who says she's accrued a tab of eating out close to $30,000, and does she promise anything? No. Does she dine and ditch (the guys)? It would appear so.
Here's her blog address.
Here's the NY Post article.
Let me know what you think.
The scene: at work, finishing up the show, co-worker calls me into a room to look at this blog and a NY Post article.
The who: girl's picture on page is apparently someone who used to work at our company and co-worker cracking up because he trained her.
The why: said girl is also the alleged "dinner whore." No wonder the theme this morning on the Z-100 talk show was the art of being a "dinner whore," and if it's moral or giving us nice girls a bad rap.
Brooke Parkhurst is the Southern belle and current resident of New York who says she's accrued a tab of eating out close to $30,000, and does she promise anything? No. Does she dine and ditch (the guys)? It would appear so.
Here's her blog address.
Here's the NY Post article.
Let me know what you think.



30 Comments:
Nasty Ho! She's a legend in her own mind.
There are actually people like that out there? *shudder*
'twas a blessing the good lord made that one pretty. ;)
Makes me glad I'm married.......and poor!
Greg, haa! I've missed you! Hope all is well in sunny CA.
S'kat, I know, right? It is a little bit frightening. I think it has a lot to do with women empowerment a la Sex and the City. I mean I love that show but it's opened up the flood gates for "women" to behave with little to no class and think it's ok and chic.
Backyard Chef, ha, my dad always said being poor builds character. Then I've got a LOT of it!!
There's not much behind that pretty face, huh?
I've spent my life trying to avoid people like her.
The article proves I will continue to do so.
Curious, though, what did your co-workers say about her? Were they surprised?
Rose, no not at all. Apparently she walked around our office like she owned the place. I hate that about some interns these days...they have no concept of appropriate behavior in the workplace. Most people who get internships here are sons and daughters of important people, as she was. She got the job because her grandfather is some publishing bigwig in Miami...
She should at least put out. Good grief.
HA!!! She claims she doesn't , but who knows the truth. Even funnier it says she's dating a chef now? How does he live with her history? and what she did to poor (well not so poor i guess) dudes!
sounds like the other side of emancipation.
Why not take her out to dinner, excuse yourself just before dessert and then just leave. I don't like desserts and she gets the bill. Result.
Butterbemme, thanks for visiting, and all the way from Germany!
Naz, I like this scheme. Let's set a date.
Mona, her grandfather is not a bigwig in Miami! Please get your facts correct. He's a 94-year-old retired newspaper publisher from Pensacola. And if you actually read her blog, it's a work of FICTION, roughly based on some true events. Obviously she's an incredibly good writer for you to belive otherwise. You might want to take lessons from her!
Anon, I appreciate the corrections (bigwig/publisher=same thing). I haven't read any of her blog. As I said in my post, it was only brought to my attention by a co-worker who saw her in the paper. So I can't say diddly about her writing, good or bad, and I purposely didn't in my post. Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll pass on Belle's writing lessons. If I needed them I don't think I'd be writing for the #1 news show in America...
I have read this woman's blog over the last few months and it is not a work of fiction. For some reason, a publishing company is paying her to write a novel based on her blog. The novel is the fiction, not the blog. Anyway, I was not surprised that she woundd up outing herself - she's a total media whore as well as a dinner whore. Very sad.
Time out:
Her blog is not so well written that anyone should point to it as an example of a style to be emulated or used as instructive.
"it's a work of FICTION, roughly based on some true events". Oh, like that James Frey book....
Ok. Carry on.
BC, oh good, so I'm not missing much. For a moment there I was worried. Can we expect a Strunk & White & Belle anytime soon?
On a different note, has anyone read Frey's book? Fiction or non-fiction aside, is it still worth reading?
I happened across a Gawker mention of this on Friday and was reeling. I wrote about it on my blog, too. I'm a non-belleish southerner who was SHOCKED, SHOCKED, I SAY, that any decent southaaaan gal would ever proudly proclaim herself a whore of any sort.
Heels, that's so good to hear :) I love it love it love it! I went to school in the South and wish I could pretend I was a Southern lady. Just happen to be a New England/Cali combo...
I actually read it frequently because I can't believe that anyone would be so trite. I also find it fascinating that New York is so full of worlds that do not overlap in any way, shape, or form. Completely fascinating, like a bad accident.
I certainly don't see you, Suzanne, getting a book deal by Scribners! Your "criticism" is so far in the gutter that it's easy to dismiss you as a writer and as a human being. If you don't like a Web site, don't visit it!
Hey, anonymous-- thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving nothing of use. I didn't say anything insulting to you, but behind your cloak of anonymity, you go around insulting people for no reason. Very courageous, and great publicity for the book deal. Where's your blog?
Sorry, Mona.
I don't have a blog because I have a job -- and a LIFE!
Hey, Backyard Chef, calling a work of writing "boring" -- as I did yours -- is legitimate criticism. Most people can handle criticism. But to call someone a "twit" and to launch a nasty personal attack against her is just plain rude. It shows ignorance and a lack of respect.
Hey there anon, why so testy?
Do you really think anyone who proudly steps up to the plate to talk about how she's snaked $30k in free meals and who owns up to the title "Dinner Whore" is out for respect?
Seriously?
Where do you hail from that that's respect-worthy? In my neck of the woods, to call her a "twit" is practically sweet-talking her. "Twit" is a nicety. She called herself a Dinner Whore, remember.
Oh, come on, miss lilly-white southerner! Have a sense of humor with the "dinner whore" thing. Her quotations were funny. She's not sleeping with these guys, and she only goes out with them once or twice. They get their arm candy; she gets her dessert. My Lord! With all of the REAL problems in the world, you choose this to dwell on. Get a life! And, besides, have you never gone out to dinner with someone you were not romantically interested in and then NOT slept with them? Come on now!
With love,
Anon
By the way, heels, why don't you make your site's prissy little polka-dotted butterfly a little bigger to drown out your drivel. I'd really like to gouge my eyes out with one of your high heels!
Oh, Anon, you wound me.
If you don't like it, don't visit. Simple as that.
It's funny that you, who continues to comment on this topic ad nauseum, is the person complaining about people talking, what with all that's going on in the world.
Your level of vitriol on this subject makes me think you're either the Dinner Whore or a relative. Good luck with that!
thanks for the link to my site! and, keep up all your hard work at the nation's #1 news station,
mona--looks as if it has taken you to great places (like "pommes frites?"). keep shooting for the stars!
Wow, to say I'm speechless would be an understatement. I come back to find these ballistic comments flying back and forth and I don't know what to say. I thought I was presenting a topic to debate peacefully like adults, but as they say in my favorite SNL skit "Coffee Talk," this debate has neither been peaceful nor among adults so let's change gears here...
Anon, wow. I can't believe you've taken such offense to all this. And then gone on to insult my friends on their own blogs? Who do you think you are? You claim to have a "LIFE" but have spent the good portion of your previous days vandalizing my blog AND other innocent friends of mine.
Backyard Chef and Heels, I'm sorry you both have been dragged through the mud over this.
Belle, thank YOU in return for visiting my site. While I sense the sassy sarcasm in your comment, I appreciate you for demonstrating more class then your sidekick anon...and there is so much more to NYC restaurants then the tabs you've accrued. I'm just sorry Pommes Frites is beneath you.
VENT -This chic nauseates me. I worked with her once as well. She secured her internship - Yes. She was just an intern - through family connections and then told everyone she was a producer who quit because the place offended her delicate nature and good political sense. She got the book deal because she sold herself as a Fox insider.
Post a Comment
<< Home