Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Mona Does Red Velvet


At home in Carmel-by-the-Sea for Christmas, we had one big dinner at home.
Mom let dessert be up to me, with one condition: I had to try something from her "More From Magnolia Cookbook."
It took me no time at all to decide what I would make.
I would try their Red Velvet Cake recipe but in the form of cupcakes.
One of my closest friends from school grew up in New Orleans, and she turned me onto this amazing cake one day after she got home from work on the Hill. Apparently someone sent a tried and true red velvet cake from Louisiana and I am still deeply in love. Besides the cake being my favorite color red, it also surprised me with its richness.

Have fun with this recipe...I know I did.

Ingredients:
3 1/3 cups cake flour (NOT unbleached all-purpose flour). You have to buy specifically cake flour.
3/4 cup (or one and a half sticks) of butter, softened. So get this out of the fridge a half day or so before you plan on making the cake.
2 1/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
6 tbs red food coloring
3 tbs unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

If you're making the cake, grease and lightly flour three 9x2in round pans. Line with wax paper.
If you're making cupcakes, put cupcake liners in cupcake tin (will make 2 dozen).

Red Velvet here we come:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
In bowl #1 : sift cake flour and set aside.
In bowl #2: cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Cream for about five minutes until very light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat well.
In bowl #3: whisk food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla. Then combine with bowl #2.
In a measuring cup, stir salt into buttermilk. Add to bowl #2 in three parts, alternating with the cake flour. Beat until ingredients are incorporated, but do not over beat.
In bowl #4: mix the cider vinegar with the baking soda. This step makes you feel like a wacky scientist. Don't be surprised when the two start to pop pop and fizz fizz on you. Then add to bowl #2.
With a rubber spatula mix the dough well, scraping the sides making sure every part of batter is well-blended.
Divide into pans, or cupcake tin, and bake.
Cake will take 30-40 minutes.
The cupcakes should take about 12-15 minutes.
Use a cake-tester to test if you're not sure.

After they're made, let your velvety creation cool completely on a wire rack.
Only then can you go to town with the frosting.


20 Comments:

Blogger Ziz said...

how cute! :)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

hey girl! thanks! i feel my picture-taking needs some serious help!!

5:44 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Isn't that insane? All that red food coloring -- fun. I went to a wedding where the cake was a red velvet, hiding behind white frosting. What a surprise.
Say, what do you think is behind the cupcake revival? They were ubiquitous in my youth, and then they became a passe cliche... and now they're hot. Hm.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Hey CC, I think if I were to pretend choose a wedding cake this minute (in the absence of an actual pending wedding) I would go with red velvet myself.
I wish I knew more about the social history of the cupcake. Or what brought it to the forefront of "glitterati," as the Magnolia cookbook suggests. And funny that even amidst the diets of Atkins, South Beach, Mediterranean, Moon, etc, people are still flocking to cupcake stores and making them for each and every occasion. They seem to have even replaced the traditional birthday cake, and in some extreme circumstances the wedding cake. The cupcake to me means childhood, friends, smiles, and festivities. And if I can create that with some sugar and butter, I will any chance I get :) What do cupcakes mean to you guys?

10:12 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

The red velvet cake at Amy's Bread is awesome if you're hankering for a quick "velvety" fix.

I've never made it before, but this weekend I attempted a devil's food cake as a "welcome home" for the 'rents. It went okay. I need to work on my frosting skills :-)

10:55 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Mmmmmm!! I love red velvet cake.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool, Mona. I have the recipe and have been wanting to make this cupcake for a while now. I love yours. Looks great.

Paz (who hasn't forgotten the meme for which you tagged me)

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too good to make that from scratch. I bought a red velvet cake mix and cream cheese frosting to make for Christmas and it never happened. I could always make it this weekend!


GO REDSKINS
Mal

6:25 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Oh cool, haven't heard of Amy's Bread. Where is it?
Ha, as you could see I didn't include a frosting recipe because it was late and we opted for the jug o' frosting.

Hi Michele, I know me too!

Thanks Paz, you should definitely try it! Oh , and yah, where's that meme? :)

Um, yes you should make it this weekend. I mean, I know Redskins colors are more maroon and gold but red will pass okay:)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

"Back home at Carmel-by-the-Sea" what a wonderful place to call home!! I loved seeing the pictures over Christmas holiday.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have that book and I've been meaning to try that recipe for so long. Mona ... you have inspired me!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

http://www.amysbread.com/

Go to any of the locations and pick up a slice of red velvet...yummmy!

1:50 AM  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I've always wanted to try that cake! This red colour is really beautiful...

9:31 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Pug's Mama, thanks for visiting and the nice comments. Hope you come back:) Enjoyed checking out your blog as well!

Ivonne, get to it girlfriend! You'll love it. They are a real treat because nobody expects RED cupcakes :)

Rose, thanks for the tip. Can't wait to try.

Rosa, thanks for visiting my blog! I love having new guests. The red is what gets me too. And like I said above it's always a nice deviation from the standard vanilla/chocolate cupcake.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

oo red's your favourite colour too? nice! thats the yummiest looking red cake ive ever seen... actually ive never seen a red cake ;)

11:43 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

catesa, hey girl! that's funny i thought i responded to you yesterday at home but the comment didn't get posted. i expect you to razzle dazzle all your friends across the pond with the pretty red cake :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Ed Tep said...

I love red velvet cake! If you are ever in Atlanta, try the red velvet cake at "Agnes & Muriel's." Do you remember that in the movie "Steel Magnolias," the groom had a red velvet cake shaped like an armadillo.

1:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Magnolia Bakery and their second cookbook (I don't have the first). I often wonder why there isn't a place like it in SF. The whole cupcake revival just hasn't caught on here as much as in NYC. We have one place, Miette, that sells diminutive organic (only in SF) cupcakes, but they're a little too precious compared to the Magnolia version.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ed Tep, no, sadly I do NOT remember that but that's not saying much. I am a huge movie freak but have the worst memory. Now I want to re-watch it for that reason alone:)

Brett, diminutive and organic, that is hilarious and sooo S.F! Maybe that could be a mission of mine someday in the future....bringing some warm fluffy real cupcakes to CA :) I think Buttercup bakery has franchise opportunities...

12:12 PM  
Blogger Chick Pea said...

Oh man that looks delicious. I fell in love with red velvet cake the first time I tried it 2 years ago. Thanks for posting the recipe!

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.