Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Top 10 Best Outdoor Dining Spots in New York

from top left, clockwise: Bobo, Grocery, The Frying Pan, Gemma


TheDude e-mailed me last week:

"You ever thought of doing an e-mail mailing list? You know those ones like Tasting Table and Richard's Bits?"

I have signed up for a few mailing lists. Tasting Table and Urban Daddy are the only ones I still receive. I unsubscribed from Daily Candy and I will soon unsubscribe from Goop. In all honesty, I quickly delete these e-mails once I see them in my inbox, unless something grabs me immediately. There are occasions where I will open one and say, "Wow!" but if I need something, I'll just go to the source, rather than the random e-mail.

But TheDude brought up another good point -- creating top 10 lists. Though he's not the first to suggest this -- Dad's been trying to get me to do this for years -- I'm thanking him for relighting the fire under my cushioned chair. I will be aiming to come up with one every couple of weeks, and what better way to start off the unofficial beginning of summer, just off of July 4 weekend, with a list of my favorite outdoor dining spots. There are dozens of other noteworthy spots in the city that you won't find here, but after chasing al fresco for half a decade, these are the ones I'd return to in a heartbeat. I've included courtyards, sidewalks and even a boat.

Almost made the top 10: Raoul's, Paradou, Beyoglu, Bar Boulud and Blue Water Grill.

10. The Frying Pan. This barge-turned-bar should be on ANY top 10 list that involves the words bar or outside dining. If you're looking for a fancy dining spot, this is not your place, but its setting on the Hudson cannot be beat for a casual night out. Head in, grab a seat and hit up the bar for burgers and beer -- both recession-friendly.

9. Fette Sau. If you're in Brooklyn and looking for a picnic table, go no further than Fette. Mark your spot in the courtyard out front before heading indoors for a barbecue bonanza and a great beer, bourbon and whiskey list. Do not miss the ribs or the brisket and make sure to order a "pitcher," more like an old jug, of beer.

8. Cafe Gitane. I will always hold a special spot in my tummy for Cafe Gitane. It was one of the first places I ate at when I moved to the city and it hasn't skipped a beat since. Here the outdoor dining is sidewalk-style, and the bright blue tables, green chairs and Mediterranean atmosphere will deport you straight to Europe. Be sure to order the prosciutto salad with grilled bread. Young'un swears by the mac and cheese, though not the most desirable meal on a hot, summer afternoon.

7. Gemma wins for sidewalk-seating, hands down. They have almost as much real estate on the curb as they do inside. It's perfect for a glass of wine and snacks with friends, or even a solo jaunt with a good book. I'm still craving their zucchini flowers and multiple bruschetta options.

6. Sushi Samba. It's tough for me to put a "chain" on this list, but one of the best nights I've had in the city started on the rooftop of Sushi Samba. You'd think the service would suffer being so far away from the kitchen, but we were never left for a moment wanting anything. A tall bottle of sake still sits on my kitchen ledge commemorating the debaucherous night. Not only is their sushi zipped with flavor, but their cocktails are amazing as well (though a little on the pricey side).

5. The Mermaid Inn. You have two choices here. You can sit in the quaint garden in the back of the one in the East Village or you can sit on the sidewalk of the one on the Upper West. Either way it's a win-win situation. If anyone asks me for seafood in New York, I send them here. It's reasonable and the atmosphere is a total charmer. Not to mention the little surprise dessert everyone gets at the end. Don't worry, I won't ruin it for you.

4. Pure Food and Wine. Though I'm not really one for raw vegetarian food, I know there are plenty of healthy eaters out there who are. And if that's your thing, there is no more beautiful garden to eat in than the one at Pure Food and Wine. If you can suck up eating veggies for an evening, do it. I would be eating here once a week if they served steak. You feel like you're at a mountain resort with its plush wooden furniture and umbrellas.

3. La Lanterna di Vittorio. If you want a break from the forest of cement, pop into Lanterna for a pleasant surprise. Walk straight past the old sputtering coffee machines and down the stairs into a picturesque terrace. I felt like I was on the set of Pollyanna. The fare is light and Italian. Pick a salad and a pizza or a panini and be sold like I was. If you linger long enough through the evening head to their downstairs bar for some live jazz.

2. The Grocery. Fashionista's pick for FTDC wins a no. 2 spot on the al fresco countdown. It is well worth calling ahead of time to eat outside at this Brooklyn institution. The indoor dining room feels cramped and I'd skip it unless you do get a table outside. It is well worth the wait. The fence is trimmed with white lights and they even built a little bar around a tree. You must order the fried artichokes and the pork belly with spaetzle.

1. Bobo. Not only is this one of favorite restaurants in atmosphere in the city, but its terrace is by far the best I've been to. The white pillars make you feel like you're in a little country club oasis and you forget you just hopped off a crowded Seventh Avenue to get there. The food is solid and the cocktails are incredible. Cozy up with a Pimm's Royale and a cucumber margarita. Is it five o'clock yet?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Le Jardin!!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

d'accord mon ami! have you told me about that one before? adding it to the list.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Chris Cavanagh said...

Hi Mona,

Just wanted to say a huge huge thanks for not only mentioning us (and linking to us) in your blog --but also for still subscribing to us -- really appreciate it! Loved your top ten outdoor dining list and am going to forward the post to our CEO and Editor in Chief. Thanks again -- we are a very young and growing company and truly appreciate your support.

Very best regards,
Chris Cavanagh
Marketing
Tasting Table

10:23 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

thanks for the kind words, chris, and for passing along my post. the appreciation is mutual :)

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.