Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bliss or Diss

Bliss: Market Table

Last night's FTDC was a runaway hit. Way to go, Fashionista! From the incredible olive oil and soft bread to the gnocchi, from the lamb to the skirt steak. And the final touch that left us all enamored even more with the place? When you pay the bill they drop off a little guest book for you to sign. I wrote a big "Thank you!" to the chefs and our server from all of us at FTDC. I've never seen that before and it was quite the crowd pleaser/charmer.

54 Carmine St., at Bedford St. 212-255-2100

(the ridiculous lamb - I grabbed photo from their Web site until I upload my own)

Diss: Nanoosh's Tomato Soup

What a bummer... I really want to like this place. It's a hummus stop close to work and I wanted to find a local tomato soup I could count on for some comfort. It won't be Nanoosh's. It was entirely too salty and I tasted every other veggie in it (celery, cucumber, onions), but the poor tomato.

Bliss:
V&T Pizza

I don't order pizza that often, but when I do, from now on, it'll be from V&T. I play badminton with a bunch of old yellers at NYAC and one of them, upon hearing about my food blog, was incredulous that I'd never tried this pizza. I had a special Valentine's Day visitor this year and our tres romantique Valentine's dinner was V&T. Everything about it was heaven -- the cheese, the sauce, the thick doughy (not burnt) crust, the meat and its taste as morning snack/leftovers. Why are you still sitting here? Call them. Now.

1024 Amsterdam Ave
., between 110th and 111th St.
(212) 663-1708


Diss: August

FunStar said it best when she wrote me she had to buy a slice of pizza after our 3-hour dinner at August because she was so disappointed and still hungry. I'd been wanting to try August for ages and while it definitely gets an A for atmosphere (and for a nice hot chef who found me Port), the food left me thinking, "Yikes. Really?" Full review TK.

Bliss: Totonno's Arugula Salad

Holy moly. I could use a Totonno's on the Upper West Side. I went over to BYOWino's pad before partying Saturday and I had the pleasure of walking into our food that had already been delivered. "Who made the salad?!" I asked, both shocked and impressed. "Oh, it's Totonno's, I just put it in a bowl." I have never had a more deliciously simple salad in my life. Arugula, cherry tomatoes, gorgonzola cheese, lemon vinaigrette. Fabulous. The cheese was so mild I had no idea it was gorgonzola. We were trying to catch the 9:00 p.m. "The Hangover" and BYOWino had to rip the fork out of my hands as I was digging for the last few tastes.

462 2nd Ave., between 26th and 27th St.
212-213-8800

Diss: Pudding Stones, UWS

I was excited to have a Pudding Stones open in my area. Winette first introduced it to me on the Upper East Side. I was running around the neighborhood with my roommate LarchmontLass and we wanted to grab some food. We tried a couple of places (Celeste and Spiga) but since we were both cashless, those were out. We were tableside at Spiga (it was super cute and I definitely want to go back) and when we found out it was cash only we had to walk out. Awkward! I hoped Pudding Stones would be a new spot for me to grab wine and hang out from time to time. Not so much. The place was devoid of all character and people (and every time I walk by it's empty - how is it still open?). The beat salad shown above was beyond lame and bland and nothing else throughout the rest of the meal could make up for it. Someone ring up the restaurant consultants because this place needs help (or to be put out of its misery).

6 Comments:

Blogger The Oracle of Bassano said...

Jonesy has had decent experiences with August . . .

9:38 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

maybe their menu was off or something... i was totally disappointed, except for one thing - the bread that came with the mussels.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Dreamboat said...

As for the Sweet Onion Gnocchi @ Market Table:

"Quite possibly one of the most delicious things that I have put in my mouth during these past 5 years here in nyc..."

2:25 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

we ordered that, dreamboat, and it was fabulous!!! thanks for visiting!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree the pizza was delicious and the day was very special!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

you are too cute BH. miss you. hope all's well.

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.