The Kentucky Derby

Friday I tweeted the following: "thinking cap: this derby junkie needs a roof deck that's also a sports bar. does such a dream destination exist in this fine city of ours?"
No replies. No love. Darn.
I'm headed to Fiddlesticks, probably my least favorite bar on the planet, but I haven't seen GoldenTee in ages and he organized so I will show up with a smile. Where do you Derby?
I'm a pretty big sports fan. NovaCat and ULTIMATENYG can talk me under the table on stats and players, but I get an "A" for spirit. Every time a sports event comes up, it's my favorite day of the year.
Super Bowl Sunday. Best day of the year (and when the Giants won it was the best day of my life).
March Madness. Best day(s) of the year.
Opening day at Yankees Stadium. Best day of the year.
Final Four lacrosse tournament, if UVA is playing. Best day of the year.
World Series, if the Yankees are playing (so this hasn't occurred in ages). Best day(s) of the year.
Olympics. Don't even get me started. Best two weeks every two years.
Kentucky Derby. Best day of the year.
It seems hypocritical of me to be such an avid horse racing and animal fan. I don't know how the horses are treated when they're on their home tracks. The animal-loving Winette went to visit Old Friends in Georgetown, Ky., where they rescue former race horses. I cried when she told me about it, partially because I was horrified to hear some owners throw these incredible animals to the curb and partially because I was so moved and thankful that such a place exists. Maybe I shouldn't be as supportive and enthusiastic about the Triple Crown races as I am.
I don't know where my obsession with horses comes from. The most contact I've had with the majestic creatures has been at youth riding school at New Canaan Mounted Troop, where I was thrown off a moody and violent, white and gray speckled horse by the name of Princess (Princess of Pain, really) and various trail rides in Pebble Beach, Europe and New Zealand, where I lived a "The Man From Snowy River" moment flying down a hill at warp speed on a maniacal mare.
But it is my dream to someday own a horse, or several. And until then, I will continue to watch the race. I will continue to cry in disbelief and surprise. I will continue to be overcome by goosebumps - there's no point in shaving today. I will continue to hold my breath that there are no accidents like Eight Belles' or Barbaro's. I will continue to shake my head in wonder and amazement at the horses' speed and tenacity.
If you've ever doubted that animals possess certain human qualities, pull up a chair, gin up a mint julep and watch a horse race. I've never seen so much heart and character.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home