Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Apothecary Bar and Lounge, Philadelphia, Pa.

courtesy of www.apothecarylounge.com

TheDude: What's up G? Was wondering if you thought my Apothecary review had any merit on the Apple. I know it's just a bar, but you sometimes have bar reviews (i.e. The Eldridge), and it's in Philadelphia. I pasted it below, let me know what you think.

Me: Thanks, TheDude! In an ode to my Philly brothers and sisters: ShawDaddy, JDubJr and Sulls, here you go. Lion and I hope to head to Philly soon, preferably before ShawDaddy's B-school graduation, and from what I learned below, I will have to hit up Apothecary.

I'm obsessed with a good cocktail. It's all about the right balance of cordial, appropriate temperature and of course the right spirit (both in ardor and booze, or elixir in APO-speak). As an unsubstantiated, self-proclaimed, cocktail aficionado in New York City, I've been to almost every prohibitionary-style cocktail den, lounge and speakeasy. Apothecary in Philadelphia produces by far the best cocktail of all of them, and better yet, it comes with a history lesson.

Christian, Apothecary's self-proclaimed "alcohologist," according to his Web site Fahrenheit 173, took care of us one evening. The man knows everything about every spirit on the shelf and many more that aren't. He is a true superhero of the bartending world. The professionals behind the bar can make you anything you want with as little or as much direction as you'd like to give them, or you could always order off the incredibly creative menu.

As a serious critic, I had the pleasure of service as anally attentive to every detail as I am. The glassware is carefully thought out and matched appropriately to its beverage. They use ice that is made especially dense from a special machine so that it doesn't melt as quickly and disrupt the balance of the cocktail. (Did I mention Christian knows all about ice also, including where the best lake ice in the country is for drinking?) The décor has a contemporary, clean and simple touch, showcasing Emmo-style bar stools pushed under white marble bar tops. There is also a second floor terrace that is open in the summer.

I need to repeat that Apothecary is not just another "speakcheesy," prohibitionary cocktail establishment that seems to be capitalizing on the current Manhattan craze. The staff of Apothecary is made up of true professionals and enthusiasts, who really really know what they're doing. I can't wait to go back the next time I am in Philadelphia.

Can I come?

102 S. 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 735-7500

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

11:30 PM  
Blogger Ashely said...

"Hello,

I'd appreciate if you can give me some feedback on our site: www.regencyshop.com

I realize that you are a bar stools connoisseur :) I'd like to hear your opinion/feedback on our bar stools. Also, it'd be swell if you can place our bar stools link on your blog.

Thank you,
Ashley
ashley@regencyshop.com"

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.