Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Grocery

I'm on the couch typing away, trying to find a happy medium between blogging productiveness and watching the Olympics. I'm gaga for the Games. My life and friendships go on hold for two weeks during them. I can't talk to anyone or do anything while they're on, unless I'm in a bar or at a party cheering with former swimmers.

A few of us went to The Australian on Saturday night and we were all very impressed. The bar was filled with Americans and Aussies and we all stood on the rims of our bar chairs to cheer at the top of our lungs for each swimming race. It was great and unlike anything I'd ever seen in this city. Excitement for swimming? In a bar? Sign me up! We had full volume and all the screens. That and the bartender bought shots for everyone when an Australian won the gold and a beer when an Australian medaled. I think at one point he was so impressed with an American swim he bought us all shots anyway. My kind of place.

The excitement over the swimming hit a new level after Sunday's relay. A few friends read my G-chat and Facebook statuses about wanting to marry the sadly, already taken Jason Lezak (the hero of the 4x100-meter freestyle relay) and the messages started pouring in. My former teammates are all pumped about the swimming this year, Michael Phelps and the onslaught of attention the sport is getting, more than in any previous Olympic years. MommyCanuck even said she was more excited this year for the American team than her own countrymen.

I couldn't keep up with the individual IMs so I figured out how to start a group chat. We had a few moments to get fired up, reconnect, catch up on babies and diapers and now we're all trying to get some work done before the swimming begins. Meanwhile, back to blogging as I try to keep my eyes off the synchronized diving...

I was psyched when Fashionista chose The Grocery for our monthly dinner club.

There. I said it. It was supposed to be a secret. We were to speak of dinner club to nobody, though technically, I'm not. I'm typing. But we're almost through with the second round and we will soon be opening up the club to guests and/or new eaters. I figured I might as well give you all a heads up.

Back in March, I started this group that meets for meals on the first Tuesday of every month. Its first name was Supper Tuesdays, but upon further discussion, some goading from my dad and LoveLight's clever idea, we changed it to Fat Tuesdays Dinner Club. FTDC all the way!

We created our own little constitution and between the four founding members, we rotate who picks the restaurant each month. The only condition is you present the group with three choices in case we've been to your No. 1 pick, and it has to be a different type of food and in a different neighborhood from the previous dinner.

Fashionista's second and third picks were Sfoglia and Bar Tabac. I wouldn't have minded trying either but The Grocery was the one that stood out. To me, it's sort of an institution that every New Yorker should experience, similar to The Tavern in Charlottesville, Va., though slightly more upscale.

Walking through the restaurant to get to the outdoor garden in the back, I felt like I was in a home in colonial Williamsburg. It was small and elegant, but drab at the same time. I don't know what I was expecting, maybe somewhere more casual and laid back like The Spotted Pig. I was surprised and intrigued by its simplicity.

I admit I judge a restaurant by its garden. When I stepped in and saw The Grocery's I fell in love. There was a mini bar to the left where I sat with Fashionista and sipped on a glass of wine while we waited for the boys. It was a first so we lived up the moment. Normally the boys are always sitting handsome waiting for us to show up unfashionably late.

They arrived and we took our seats. Fashionista was showered with praise and props for her pick. It was only our third meeting (one more to go to complete the round) and we were already calling her pick the runaway winner.

The server brought us out the amuse bouche and we proceeded to order our meal. The amuse bouche is always a nice, unexpected touch. You never know when you're going to get one. It's no longer saved for the Jean Georges and the Les Bernardins, but it's not so common that it's offered everywhere. I think it should be called the surprise bouche.

For starters we chose the fried artichokes with radicchio, parmesan, roasted garlic & lemon aioli and toasted breadcrumbs...


the roasted beets with goat cheese ravioli, fried shallots and toasted pine nuts...


and the risotto with carrots, peas and mushrooms and a garnish of green bean tempura.


We chose the best dishes on the menu. We each kept rotating the plates around in lazy Susan fashion. I can't put a finger on which was my favorite -- they all stood out. The fried artichokes were monsters and the aioli was the sweet icing on the veggie. There was a lot going on in the beet dish. It was intense. I scraped off all the extra beets so I could enjoy the ravioli underneath, going back for the beets after the ravioli was kaput. The ravioli was a little on the chewy side, reminded me of a pierogi, but the cheese was out of control. For me, the chunkier the risotto, the better. As you can see, it was packed with veggies. I don't generally like risotto, it's too bland and soupy for me, but I liked theirs.

I was impressed with the fluidity and ease with which they served us. It's not easy to nail a three-course meal for four people but they did. Our server was very attentive and everything came out at the appropriate time and at the exact, desired temperature.

Here was our wine. TheDude is the wine selector of the crew. We always get the wine list and throw it his way. We have yet to be disappointed with his picks.

We ordered the duck breast with kasha and roasted green market vegetables in a caramelized red wine sauce...

the fish...


the pork tenderloin...


and don't forget the side of spaetzle.


I loved everything I tried, the fish being my least favorite, but it was still excellent. I'm just a meat kind of girl. The duck and pork were both equally juicy, and I loved the diversity of the sides. No two flavors tasted similar. I was most impressed with the spaetzle, a successful surprise being that we weren't in a Bavarian-themed restaurant..

TheDude: Fashionista, you won this round hands down and we haven't even had LoveLight's dinner yet.
LoveLight: Yeah, dude. Congrats. I think this just about takes the cake.
Moi: Agreed. This is going to set the bar pretty high!

Who knew we were having a competition, but I liked it. Competition breeds the will to excel and if all of us were trying to outdo the other in food we were sure to eat at some pretty remarkable places from here on out. Game on!

For dessert we went with the rhubarb crisp...


and warm apple cobbler with ice cream. The highlight of the two was the crisp for sure. The cobbler was a little too dry for me. It was more warm apples with a hard, dry scone/biscuit on top than a cobbler.


Eating at The Grocery was like going to see The Police in concert. You know it's been around for a while and was once supposed to be great. You hope it still has that special flair and that its hay day has not come and gone. After our wonderful meal, I was reassured that The Grocery still has it, and if anybody asks me for a Brooklyn recommendation, I will not hesitate to direct them to 288 Smith.

288 Smith St., nr. Sackett St.
718-596-3335

9 Comments:

Blogger Yvo Sin said...

My group's dinner club fell apart after a whole lot of drama, but we lasted a good two years. Ah well. Trying to restart one has been a nightmare. You see where this comment is going?! :P

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona,

I think I may have written it previously, but fried artichokes are my favorite!

Also, did you hear that a week or so ago the Tavern had to close down due to numerous (I saw the list, it was a lot) of health code violations? Shocker... They say it's only temporary and hope to be up and running again soon...

Malibu

ps You coming to the reunion football game?

pps I love the sound of cheering on the olympic swimmers at a bar with free shots!!!!!!!!

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WON, I WON. though I think your's this time is going to be pretty hard to beat. doh.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you judge a place by its back garden, then you HAVE to try i coppi in the EV. AMAZING food and quite possibly the most charming back garden ive seen

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you using a royal "we" when you said "we all stood on the rims of our bar chairs to cheer"? Because I'm pretty sure it was just you. haha, just kidding. The Australian was great, and the bartender buying us drinks when America won a race was appreciated. The Grocery looks great, although the picture of the risotto makes me think of a long night at this place: www.123burgershotbeer.com/

4:18 PM  
Blogger D said...

Wow I am honored to be mentioned on your blog and I love the name pick. We have a Canuck in the finals tonight ranked 2nd so I am excited about that.

I also am a meat girl and the duck and pork made my mouth water. Do you like lamb??

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

钢管舞
钢管舞培训
北京钢管舞
爵士舞
北京音皇国际
留学意大利
意大利留学
碳雕
炭雕
活性炭
活性炭雕
空气净化产品
好想你枣
北京好想你枣
轴承
进口轴承
FAG轴承
NTN轴承
NSK轴承
SKF轴承
网站建设
网站推广
googel左侧优化
googel左侧推广
搜索引擎优化
仓壁振动器
给料机
分子蒸馏
短程蒸馏
薄膜蒸发器
导热油
真空泵油
胎毛笔
手足印
婴儿纪念品
婴幼儿纪念品
园林机械
草坪机
油锯
小型收割机
收割机
割灌机
割草机
电动喷雾器
地钻
采茶机
婚纱
北京婚纱
婚纱礼服
北京婚纱店
个性婚纱
礼服
北京礼服
礼服定制
礼服出租
飘人|飘人2008|云淡风清
罗茨鼓风机
三叶罗茨鼓风机
罗茨风机
章丘罗茨鼓风机
鼓风机
三叶罗茨风机
章丘鼓风机
章丘三叶罗茨风机
铣刀

12:18 AM  
Blogger Loonyx said...

I don't speak #$%nese, but i'm guessing they said only good things.

That place looks amazing, dad should have gotten us Reservations there goddam, oh well my gay french food was terif. but Spaetzle !!!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Loonyx said...

oh you need to delete those comments they're links to spam sites no doubt.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.