Gemma
We decided to catch up over a couple glasses of wine and Acu-Woman suggested Gemma.
"At the Bowery Hotel?! Yowsers." It sounded a little too fancy pants for what I was feeling that night. I'd been to a couple events at the Bowery Hotel and each time I was all duh-duh-duh and still didn't feel chic enough to be partying there.
"Yes, yes. Don't worry. It's not shi-shi. It's super casual."
Ok, then. Gemma it is.
After Wednesday's tease of a beautiful day, I'm going to continue with the theme of outdoorsy, al fresco spots. As soon as the weather starts to really warm up, you'll want to hit up the sidewalk tables of Tartine and Gemma.
Acu-Woman used to be a big eater. I used to be one and I still am. Whenever we go out together I can appreciate her willpower and self-control to eat like a human being and not like a rhinoceros. I know when I join her for food it's going to be a healthy night. Come to think of it, I should be meeting her more often.
When I arrived at Gemma, I couldn't have been more ecstatic. It was outdoor seating without the mania of being outdoor seating. Acu-Woman and I cozied up to a two-top against the window and underneath the sweeping green and white awning. Heaven.
We ordered a couple of glasses of wine and zucchini flowers. I first fell in love with these suckers at Il Buco. Gemma's flowers were so light and fluffy I forgot I was eating something fried.
Mid-crunch, I glanced inside to see what was going on. I was nose to nose with a silver fox, probably in his late thirties, early forties, sporting his wire-rimmed glasses and reading a book with utmost concentration. Good thing or he would have caught me --
Crap. He looked up and I turned away from admiring his sexy studiousness.
"Umm, look inside," I urged Acu-Woman.
She grabbed her wine glass with some sass.
"Girl, please. Where have you been?"
We giggled with pleasure.
"Can we take this inside?" I asked.
"Ha, seriously."
I normally don't go for older guys. In a city that's filled with them, I somehow can't seem to graduate from boys my age or younger. Is it because I'm really 29 going on 21? Maybe. My mom says she suffers from the "Peter Pan complex." I wonder how young is too young to be diagnosed with this age-defying (denying?) attitude.
I snacked on focaccia after our appetizer plates because to be honest, I was still hungry. I decided to fill up on another glass of wine rather than order more in front of my bird friend Acu-Woman.
At one point our friendly server was carrying over our wine glasses and one of them decided to take a nap on his tray. Out came the vino all over my leg and my purse. Ick. Cold.
"Miss. Miss. I'm so so sorry. Pleeeease." He said in a sweet European accent.
I looked up at him as he brushed his dark, wavy hair out of his eyes. He could have dumped it on my head for all I care.
"Oh my god, it's totally cool. Do NOT worry," I insisted.
He quickly wiped up and ran inside to bring me another glass.
I never thought about it again until I saw the bill and realized he didn't charge me for the wine I drank that afternoon. This gesture was completely unnecessary, but sweet and highly appreciated. It's a treat when you don't have to ask for favors and the restaurant just doles them out. Gemma's service went from good to great.
I can't wait to return to Gemma to try more of their food. I've since been back but it was for a pre-game bottle of wine with Bradbury and company.
The inside is all kinds of romantic: dark, cavernous and candlelit. You can cozy up to a booth or one of their many tables. If the Phantom of the Opera cheated on Christine Daae you'd find him here. I half expected to go to the bathroom and fall into one of his dungeon-like canals.
Valentine's Day is right around the corner (click here to read my post on suggestions), and if you're still flailing to come up with the spot from which all your romantic dreams (fantasies?) will come true, Gemma makes a great addition to the list.
335 Bowery at 3rd St.
(212) 505-9100



3 Comments:
Wow, Seems so delicious!
Sounds good Mona! I hope you have a good Valentine's Day! Malibu
Sure, photos of the food looked good, but that silver fox you described sounded yummy. :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home