Trader Joe's in N.Y.
No. It's not the line to get the new limited edition 80G iPhone.It's the Trader Joe's wine line.
"S---!"
I had reached the end of a long day of productivity and waiting in yet another line wasn't in the game plan.
"Everybody's been cursing me all day," the TJ's bouncer replied with a laugh. He sported a back brace and a handlebar mustache. If you needed cases of wine carried, he was your man. If you needed anything moved, I have a feeling, he was your man. I snuck a smile and kept walking to the end of the queue.
The line moved quickly and was relatively painless, until my partner-in-line started talking. She's the person you dread sitting next to on flights. She's so sweet you can't be mean to her, but when she speaks out loud what most people would keep silent in their heads, you want to tie her down and put a muzzle on her. I shared some niceties before I dug viciously in my bag for my iPod. Talking Heads make this talking head go away, please.Her loopiness was confirmed when she told me she was waiting in the line for a single bottle of wine.
"You're only buying one and you're waiting in this line? Go to a normal wine shop, girl! I'm here to buy 20 bottles of Chucky + six bottles of bubbly for a party!"
Once inside, the line wrapped around the outer aisles of the store. But again, it was shockingly bearable. Everyone was calm and friendly, especially Donna my wonder woman/check-out lady.
I learned TJ's delivers to four zones in New York (if you get to the store before 7ish) and my zone four gets the $20 surcharge -- a minor fee to receive goodies at my doorstep today by 4 p.m.
Let's knock on wood, shall we? Or Mona's New Year's Eve party will be a No Cheer's Eve, bone dry affair.
Happy New Year, everyone!



1 Comments:
Happy new year, Mona!
It's been such a long time since I've had a chance to catch up with your blog. Took today off...
Oddly, I can cook a brisket for 16 hours, continuously tending the fire, but I don't have the patience for an ordinary line or a crowded store. Ironic, no?
Post a Comment
<< Home