Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thank You, Amendment XXI


Thanks to Eric Felten for his informative article (and awesome, unbeatable headline) on the Prohibition and its demise 75 years ago this Friday. At the risk of sounding like a total boozehound, I cannot imagine how people survived for nearly 13 years without being able to purchase alcohol legally. My parents weren't alive then, but my grandparents were. What did they do for birthday celebrations or New Year's? Did they really sing "Auld Lang Syne" sober?

While alcohol has brought me much morning pain and suffering, I owe a lot of my fondest memories and (mis)adventures to the mighty cocktail. In fact, I would never have met some of my favorite people if it hadn't been for gatherings centered around a happy hour, party, dinner, open bar, flip cup game, beer pong tournament, keg party, etc. And half the enjoyment of dining out is pairing food with wines and beers from around the world.

In honor of the Twenty-first Amendment, I'm asking bar owners near and far to e-mail me their plans for Repeal Day. I will then post a list for my friends and readers to see. I know people who know people who will be looking for a deal on this happy anniversary.

For as one of our Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin, put it, "There can't be good living where there is not good drinking."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.