Mermaid Inn II
I forget how I heard Mermaid Inn II was coming to my SoHa (south of Harlem) crib, but when I did, I nearly did cartwheels in the street. The Mermaid Inn of the east village is one of my favorite restaurants in the city, and not because of its incredible, mind-blowing food, but because it's simple, comfortable, consistent and it makes me smile. I ate dinner there with Swimster a few years ago and thus began my love affair with the seemingly seaside refuge.
FoxyLady and I were doing our own thing on a Sunday, putzing around Lincoln Center and we decided to meet in the 70s and cruise uptown looking for a bite. We were several blocks away when it hit me that we had to try the new Mermaid Inn location. I was a little tired of the walking, but FoxyLady kept telling me, "Just a few blocks more, just a few blocks more. You can do it. Just a few blocks more."
I had about ten pounds worth of homemade Italian pastas, cheese and stuffed peppers from Bruno Ravioli (how did I not know it existed?!) and was dying to put my bags down. When I saw two stools at the bar, I looked at FoxyLady with a pleading face and we grabbed them.
I don't know my clams like my mom does-- I think she's eaten in every clam shack across the eastern seaboard-- but I couldn't stop eating these. Even the two women sitting next to us were creeping over my shoulder and wondering what all the flurry of activity was about.
"What is thaaaaaaaaaat?" asked the lady with poofy hair and funky glasses next to me. She reminded me of my high school English teacher who draped herself in baggy Chico outfits and wore rainbow-colored, beaded eyeglass holders.
"The iceberg wedge. A must for next time." I noticed they were already on the best part of Mermaid Inn's dinner, but I'll let you discover later what that is.
Over at Frank Bruni's blog, I enjoyed his discussion about best vs. favorite restaurants. I can't afford to eat at the best restaurants in New York City all the time, so they can't truly be my favorites. Was my meal at Jean Georges the most amazing meal I've ever eaten in my life? Yes. But one night of nirvana doesn't qualify it as a favorite. A favorite is more of a local hangout, a place where you can show up any night in any attire and get satisfactory service and food in a warm and welcoming atmosphere. The Mermaid Inn has that certain je ne sais quoi and I will always count on it for a solid meal. Maybe that's what the miracle fish was trying to tell me, I was in love, with his home.
|
| 568 Amsterdam Ave, between 87th & 88th St. 212-799-7400 |



18 Comments:
Indeed,it is a nice place to visit. I would try it one day.
You know, this past weekend I popped into Tisserie en route to Union Square for lunch and that case had my mouth salivating. I really need to make it a layover one of these days. But for some reason this grouping of photos just didn't tempt me. I guess it's hard to make lentils sexy?
Thanks anon.
PJ, You're so funny. Yah, the pile of lentils is kind of ridiculous. Looks totally unappealing, you're right. The fish was literally swimming in them...
I'm happy for you that a fave restaurant of yours has opened in your neighborhood - Cartwheels indeed :) Also I found myself telling my 2 & 1/2 year old that "a few more blocks" thing in Boston this spring lol. Cheers!
I am gonna be in NYC in a couple weeks. Upper west side, 111th & Bdwy. I would love to have some "real" spanish food or a taste of the carribeans. Any suggestions?
Lived in NYC for many years before I moved here, small town, USA, in '93. Their idea of spanish food is Chi Chi's, uhhh.... what's up with instant rice anyway?
PS Mona - I linked you on my other blog 'A Tree in the Forest' (I don't think that Red Sox Nation would understand if I put you on my other lol). Also, if you're interested in seeing/reading about some restaurants from around New England, I've been to a few recently (see the Tree and/or click on label Food/restaurants :)
I'm planning to go to another new restaurant tonight. Cheers again!
Next time I'm in NYC I'll have to get your list of your "fave" restaurants. I'm a new reader to your blog but an instant fan!
Cheers
Joanna
PS - keep working on that screenplay!
If you ever want to blog about movies or TV you're welcome anytime
http://missmakeamovie.blogspot.com/
Seems like a cool place. I'm happy for you! =)
http://thewebisweird.blogspot.com/
(my blog of awesome weirdness)
Want some really cool music? Visit http://www.myspace.com/biggdamage
hi.i am joseph .what films d u see?if you say i will be happy.
I'll remember this page for when I'll go to NY someday.
really? I didn't know about this..being that I live in brooklyn I will check it out
I have never been to NY. But reading your comments I plan to put in on my places to visit!
Thanks so much!
Hey Mona awesome page, I was hopeing I could post some of your pictures and comments about the city on my Blog. I'd really appreciate it, anyway thanks and take it easy.
You made that restaurant look really super!
Did you do the presentation on rooftops last week?
I never took restaurants that seriously. I liked to view and food --- or I didnt'
Don't go around to the UWS much, a bit too aged-posh for my taste, but the place seems quite quaint and classy... a ravishing touch compared to the commercialized midtown "payusforthewaywefoldyournapkins" establishments. perhaps i'll pop over.
A very nice place you have out there. Good for you.
beautiful theme
i will recommended people
Post a Comment
<< Home