On the house?
Several whales, seals, otters, pelicans, and rays of sunshine later I've returned home to New York. It was hard, getting on that plane, leaving Mom and Carmel behind, but I did it, and plans to return to the west coast for the Christmas holiday are already consuming me. When I cried to a friend in Seattle, he reminded me not to be sad, and that I live in the greatest city on earth, and that I should appreciate every minute of it. I promise, I am trying.
I had a wonderful week of friends and family, and one of the highlights was my birthday dinner, make that birthday night (we ended the evening with a small dance party that included everyone in the house, including our 20 pound panther of a cat Tucker). We had an incredibly tasty dinner, but the tab at the end of the evening put a slight damper on the evening. Because at least one of my family members is living in the small town of Carmel at any given time, I'm leaving out the name of the restaurant we chose for the birthday festivities. What happened isn't the end of the world in the grand scheme of things, it was just a little jarring and I'm curious how you, my foodie friends, would have responded.
When we walked in the host immediately asked us if we were fun, and I responded yes, we were having a birthday party. He then asked whose and I proudly said mine. After a tremendous amount of food and drinks, dessert came to the table. We got the apple crisp we ordered, in addition to a slice of chocolate fudge cake with a candle in it. What a nice surprise, and mom didn't even secretly ask for it. After our desserts, the host proceeded to pour us three glasses of port for the birthday festivities. Again, what a nice surprise. But the biggest surprise of all came on the tab. They had charged us for each of their birthday "treats." My mom is too friendly and didn't have the heart to bring this up with the host or our server. But having worked in multiple restaurants as a server, I knew I never charged anyone for a birthday treat my guests did not order. What would you guys have done?
TGIF.
I had a wonderful week of friends and family, and one of the highlights was my birthday dinner, make that birthday night (we ended the evening with a small dance party that included everyone in the house, including our 20 pound panther of a cat Tucker). We had an incredibly tasty dinner, but the tab at the end of the evening put a slight damper on the evening. Because at least one of my family members is living in the small town of Carmel at any given time, I'm leaving out the name of the restaurant we chose for the birthday festivities. What happened isn't the end of the world in the grand scheme of things, it was just a little jarring and I'm curious how you, my foodie friends, would have responded.
When we walked in the host immediately asked us if we were fun, and I responded yes, we were having a birthday party. He then asked whose and I proudly said mine. After a tremendous amount of food and drinks, dessert came to the table. We got the apple crisp we ordered, in addition to a slice of chocolate fudge cake with a candle in it. What a nice surprise, and mom didn't even secretly ask for it. After our desserts, the host proceeded to pour us three glasses of port for the birthday festivities. Again, what a nice surprise. But the biggest surprise of all came on the tab. They had charged us for each of their birthday "treats." My mom is too friendly and didn't have the heart to bring this up with the host or our server. But having worked in multiple restaurants as a server, I knew I never charged anyone for a birthday treat my guests did not order. What would you guys have done?
TGIF.



12 Comments:
Welcome back! I agree, I don't think they should've charged you. At the restaurant where I work I know we don't charge people for their birthday treats.
Thanks Mebeth, yah I thought it was a bit odd. I know you don't want to advertise it but I would love to know where you're working these days! It's exciting to know a chef extraordinaire in the area;)
I wold have taken it calmly, sat down and ordered more food and booze and not stop merrying it up until everyone at the table had puked repeatedly in all directions. That would teach them!!!
They definitely should have comped that stuff...considering you didn't order it!
Nice or not...someone should have said something. That's just silliness!
I just got this code for the Time Out eating event on Tuesday. I went last year, and there’s a bunch of restaurants giving out free food, cool music and there’s a couple of open bars for the whole night. There’s a coupon code (TONYVIP) you enter at check out so you can get them for 20% off your tickets if you buy them before Tuesday. It’s a really fun event, and I think you get a gift bag and a free subscriptions, too.
They DEFINITELY should not have charged you, especially for the birthday cake! You didnt' ask for it, you should not have had to pay for it!
Malibu
In my humble opinion, this is really dishonest to charge you for something you have not ordered...
Happy B'Day Mona -- what a wonderful place to celebrate. I love Carmel.
They definitely should NOT have charged you. But, I can understand your Mom not saying anything -- especially when it's your b'day. But what a rotten thing to do.
Naz, you're hilarious. How have you been? When are you coming to NY to visit?
Lenn, I wish you had been with us. But I'm glad to know I'm not crazy.
Mal, yah, right? Nuts nuts nuts. How are you doing girlie? I hope you can come up to visit me in NY sometime this fall/winter :)
Jn, aw thanks. How are you doing? How's the running going? Are you in a marathon soon? If I recall you are...best of luck!!
Janice, it's been so long! How are you doing? Thanks for the bday wishes:) I hope you're doing well. Yah, that's kinda what we felt, why make a stink on my bday, but oh well. We just won't hurry back...
Totally obnoxious for them to charge you for 'treats' for your birthday. I really like the stereo vomit idea, but maybe post something about them on your blog to warn others, and never go back.
Your poor mom...I bet she was peeved.
Belated birthday greeting Mona. I'd definitely have told them they were charging for food and drink you had ordered. I like Nazca's way too.
BC, did I miss something? What in the world is the stereo vomit thing? Man, I think this might call for a private email exchange/explanation-haaa :) Mom rarely gets peeved, she was just dazed and confused, I'd say, as we all were.
Thanks for visiting Barbara and for the birthday wishes. How are you doing? Yah, it seems like everyone would want to be eating their birthday dinner with Nazca, he's got the right idea.
Post a Comment
<< Home