Monday, August 21, 2006

Blaue Gans

My roommates and I live together, but are all rarely home together, and it's even more rare that we all have the same night free to hang out outside our humble abode. LarchmontLass initiated a rendez-vous for us and a few other friends. After several dead end emails of "You can pick the place." "No, you." "Here's another place we can try." "Well how about this place?" the guest of honor Sharktale leaving town the next morning finally said, "Let's go to the Yard." Amen. So, thanks to NYMetro's recommendation of places to eat outside, we went.

FoxyLady, LarchmontLass and myself showed up at the Yard and didn't really know where to go. The Yard is off the Soho Grand, and what was confusing to me was whether we had to walk through the hotel to get in or not. There were two scantily clad twigs of women standing alongside a rope between two wrought iron gates. Behind them was what appeared to be a narrow patio, like what you'd see off your neighbor's pool in suburbia: a few small tables, some umbrellas, a nice large grill, and guests smiling, laughing and clinking their beverages. The reason I suggested the Yard was because I read the word "grass" in its description. Well, I didn't see any grass. When we asked Twig #1 politely if we could cross the rope, she looked at us with a markedly confused look on her face, like we had just asked her what two times two was. She barely mumbled something, shrugged her shoulders, and pleaded with her eyes to Twig #2 for help. Maybe this one had her multiplication tables down. Twig #2 looked at us, not confused like we asked her to solve an equation, but with disgust, as in how dare we - these sub-human sub-cool beings- ask if we could come into her bar and actually be served.

Twig #2: There are no tables.

Me: Well, can we put our name in for one?

Twig #2: We don't do names.

Me: Ok, well, about how long will it be for a table? (Fishing for some kind of helpful response. Isn't it her job!?!?)

Twig #2: I don't know.

Me: Ok, well...can we sit at the bar and wait then?

Twig #2: No. You'll just have to stand there.

Me: Excuse me?

Twig #2: The bar is full. It's closed for a private party.

This sounded fishy as the small bar barely had anyone sitting at it, but I'd had it with this chick. I wasn't going into her yard even if George Clooney showed up behind me, grabbed my elbow and asked me to be his date for the evening.

We spoke to our friends who were meeting us and shared the bad news with them. They were a few blocks down at Blaue Gans so we decided to join them there. Only, there was one slight problem. Sharktale was supposed to meet us at the Yard but he didn't have his cellphone on him, which forced us to awkwardly mope around the Yard entrance and watch the Twigs let people in left and right.

After about a 45 minute wait and a downpour that sent people in the Yard running for indoors (aha!), we gave up waiting for Sharktale and ran through the puddles to Blaue Gans.

It's been described as the "German version of a British pub." I'm not too sure that's entirely accurate for Kurt Gutenbrunner's (of Cafe Sabarsky, Wallse and Thor fame) latest dining venture Blaue (pronounced like wowie with a b) Gans, or Blue Goose. Blaue Gans has a lot more distinction and elegance than the British pubs I know. When I think of British pubs I think of the multiple versions of Pat O'Brien's, Rosie O'Grady's, and Scruffy Duffy's that riddle the streets of Manhattan. The only thing Blaue Gans has in common with these pubs is it serves beer.

We walked in and found a long bar to our right with large mirrors and several tables and wooden booths along the wall to our left. The atmosphere was a little rigid for my taste. But what it lacked in coziness it made up for with the friendly staff and solid food. We kept walking in until we bumped into a huge dining room table (that probably sat around 18) where our friends were sitting. I laughed with shock and thought who else could possibly be coming that we needed this huge table? Our friends pointed out it was a "community" table.

I noticed one of the guys was drinking a hefty, frothy beer when we sat down, and while that was tempting, I opted for white wine. I ordered a glass, and am still regretting not writing down the name of it. It was one of my favorite wines I've ever tasted. I emailed somebody in the contact list off their website and sadly have yet to hear from him. Typical. The wine of my life is now lost forever.

For starters, and since we were in an Austrian pub we tried one of each of their sausages. A Weisswurst, or pork and veal sausage with a pretzel; a Burenwurst, or pork and beef sausage, sauerkraut, mustard, and horseradish; and their Bratwurst, or smoked pork sausage, sauerkraut, mustard, and horseradish. This was the "no frills" part of the evening. Three plates came out with nothing but three big sausages, one on each plate. We cut them up with knives and each stole a piece with our forks. I am not a sausage connoisseur and couldn't really tell them apart, though I tried my hardest. All I know was each was hot, thick, and juicy. The homemade pretzel was an added bonus.

For my entree I tried the salmon special with spaetzle. It was simple and delicious. I'm very picky about spaetzle and I will be going back to Blaue for seconds - it was a little crisp on the edges and not too overdone. FoxyLady and MarathonGirl tried the halibut special. The men at the table picked the Jager Schnitzel and Spaetzle or Wiener schnitzel with mushrooms, bacon, and spaetzle. Sharktale ordered some sort of goulash with spaetzle. Besides my entree, his was my favorite. It came out in an extra large cereal bowl with big chunks of meat in it, with a deep red, almost purple colored marinade. I think the sauce was too rich for Sharktale because he barely got through it. Good thing I was sitting next to him to help him out. The girls were very disappointed with their halibut. I looked at it and it looked like something went really wrong. The fish was lathered in a greasy green goo, and I couldn't even make out what else was under it. MarathonGirl had a bite and her face gave it away. She wished she had ordered their pork dish.

We continued to drink at Blaue Gans before hopping to our next destination, and luckily our tab wasn't as painful as I expected. I was thinking about switching to beer before we left but I felt like a stuffed goose.

When I mentioned Wiener Schnitzel to my Mom and Dad they were immediately excited to try Blaue Gans. We fell in love with Austrian fare when we lived in France and spent every Christmas in Salzburg. I am excited to get back, and next time, I promise I'll write down what I drink, and stay away from the halibut.

139 Duane St., between West Broadway & Church St
212-571-8880

12 Comments:

Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Well, strike the Yard off the list of places I will every try. Nothing ruins it for me quicker than 'tude. There're just too many tasty places to go in the world to have to put up with that.

Same reason I can't imagine ever working for Gordon Ramsay-- I'd probably be in jail by now...

Hope all is swell, Mona...

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Hey BC, I know right? It left such a bad taste in my mouth. How are things with you? Can you believe it's almost the end of summer?
YIKES! When are you having another barbecue contest?
Hope you've been having a great summer and have managed to get out to Long Island and enjoy this fabulous weather we've been having. Off to the park tonight for some free opera!

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the experience all that bad? Maybe next time you'll ge to have fun. Just the wrong place to be in. So many places to go in the whole world, take time and enjoy them.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Glad to see you out and about. Sausage and beer is sounding good,even though it's only breakfast time here.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

tin, good times were had by all in the end.

hi greg! mmm, sausage and beer sounds like a new recipe for a breakfast of champions.

paz, how are you? i was telling bc we should try and get a ny crew together for a cookout or something. not sure where we'd have it but let's start to think of something.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Jn said...

Could the wine be a Gewurztraminer? from Germany, Alsace, Columbia Valley or even Rhode Island?

7:42 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

It wasn't a Gewurstraminer, they had those and they're usually too sweet for me. But I do like it in small amounts :) What's going on Jn? TGIF!!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Nazca said...

Sauuuuuuuuusage!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Tery Spataro said...

I love the New Leaf. Courtney Pulitzer gave me the best birthday party there. I'm going to be in NYC in September love to meet up and do a food podcast with you.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

I'm definitely down for the get together, Mona...we have to triangulate what area would be best. I'm thinking that East Hampton is too far....

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mona -- twigs with attitude get me really going. I had a friend who would listen to all that abuse and take it, almost provoke it, and then just before she'd turn around and stomp off, she'd say, "you really should go to the ladies room and blow your nose properly." LOL LOL -- it's really hard to be condescending and pretentious when you think you have a booger.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Avery said...

I’ve often said and firmly believe, there are a number of factors that create a successful “dining experience.” Of course the bill of fare counts too, but I’m most interested in what I refer to as the theatrical side of the experience as well. Here in Houston, cars (or pick up trucks) are necessary to navigate the city so my journey usually begins in the parking lot. (At times it actually begins when I make reservations over the telephone) From there, I follow the entire “customer journey” into the restaurant and I make mental notes of everything. Being a typical shallow American Male, “The Twigs” would have been a nice visual point of light but I would have been as offended as you were with their attitude. Actually, I had a similar situation at a very high end resort located in Galveston, Texas just last weekend and as I excused myself from Linda, I headed directly to the General Manager’s office where everything was corrected without my guest even knowing about it. I am glad to see in this post that you’ve targeted your talent for keen observation toward the customer service aspect of fine dining. It’s simply amazing how so many places just don’t get it. When are you coming to Houston? There are lots of places waiting for your review………

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.