Summer Sangria

I was home one weekend with my mom and we were doing a little shopping in Westport. Dinnertime was approaching and we started discussing some options when it hit me - I didn't so much care what the food was but I really felt like making sangria. Leave it to me to decide on something last minute, get this grandiose idea in my head, but not have a recipe on hand to back it up. So, I snuck into the local Williams Sonoma and headed straight to the cookbook section. I'm sure the ladies in their forest green aprons were wondering what I was doing sitting on the floor, taking notes from a thin cocktail book, but I was desperate. "Nope, don't need help, just stealing some recipes. And nope, no intention of buying the book, but thanks." Oh well. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
When I mentioned I was making sangria my mom was somewhat surprised. She didn't quite understand what the big fuss was about. I think after that night's pitcher of fun I've successfully converted her to a sangria aficionado. (I'm home today in CT and these words just came out of her mouth, "I would love to make sangria tonight!" Ha! Mission accomplished.)
Ingredients:
Recipe:One bottle full -bodied red wine, Cotes du Rhone is a good pick
1/4 cup brandy
1/2 cup white grape juice
1 cup club soda
2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup lime juice
1/2 orange, thinly sliced
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
1 apple, sliced and diced
1 peach, sliced and diced
other fruit: pears, strawberries, grapes, optional
The numbers here are rough. I'd say give or take whatever you like/dislike. And taste it as you go along.
The recipe we used didn't call for sugar. Most recipes do, however. I think we had so much fruit in ours it didn't matter. I normally don't like sweetened sangria anyway-blech!
Enjoy! I hope this post influences lots of sangria-induced smiling.



8 Comments:
I LOVE sangria. It's perfect for summer and fun to make. Sounds like a good recipe too. With sweet fruit and juice, you shouldn't need to add sugar.
Please pass the sangria Miss Mona.
Yeah, I'm a sangria fan also thanks to Laramie and Jenn. How are you parents- it's been forever since I've seen them? I hope your fam is doing well!!
I got a wedding rsvp card today from dino. We are gonna have a swimming mini-reunion at my wedding!!
Love,
Mal
Sangria! Yum!
Great recipe, Mona. Not to worry if the proportions are correct. Sangria can be a very personal thing and everyone adapts recipes to suit their taste.
Since it is 112F in Phoenix tomorrow, I may have to hit the store on the way home and fix a batch.
Sounds like just the ticket, Mona. My wife makes a killer sangria, too. She marinates the fruit in brandy for a few days, I think. I don't know what she does, actually. But I do know that the night we met was sangria night at a mutual friend's house and in my smooth, manly way, my glass slipped right out of my hand after a few too many. Ah yes, she knew just how suave and debonair I was right then.
We had sangria at our wedding....
melissa, i know, right? i think i would try it next time with just a little bit of sugar, but not a cup-ful like i've seen in some recipes.
greg, um, you missed the boat (or the pitcher in this case). but next time my friend, next time, you'll be first honors.
mal, they're doing ok, i'll have to email you the latest.
i can't believe dino is coming to the wedding. that's GREAT! aah :)
seth, 112 degrees is the PERFECT excuse if i've ever heard one to drink sangria. let me know how it goes.
thanks for stopping by!
bc, that is a great story. i love it! a girl after your own heart. sounds like me and your wife both have great taste. now if only i had that effect on men - dropping sangria glasses as soon as they caught eyes with me. ha! that is too funny.
now that looks fantastic and refreshing for a hot summer day!
I've been searching the net for a good Sangria recipe, and I'm going to try this one! I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for sharing it!
Post a Comment
<< Home