The Peanut Gallery
I don't usually do this.
I can only think of a few brands I've endorsed on my blog: Magnolia Cupcakes, not omitting Buttercup cupcakes, FreshDirect, and that's about it. Of course, in some cases, restaurants can fall into the "brand" category, but I'm thinking along the lines of individually-wrapped packaged goods.
Well, here's a new one for my record books.
My Aunt was visiting us from good ol' Rocky Mount, North Carolina a few weeks back. My brother and I always tease our cousins, "Where's Rocky Mount?" "What's in Rocky Mount?" "Who's from Rocky Mount?" Well, now I know. Rocky Mount is the home to some of our favorite relatives and to the best peanut I've ever tasted. We're not talking Planters (the fake peanut) or Virginia Diner Peanuts. We're talking America's Best Nut Co., period.
I noticed a big, green tin sitting alone in a corner on our kitchen counter. A tin usually means nuts for the taking. But I didn't recognize the gold- rimmed tin as our usual peanut stash from Balducci's. So, of course, I had to taste for myself. I mean, every peanut's different, right? Just like every pint of Blue Moon is different.
The tin we had on our counter was a tin of "Sea Nuts," after the salt used on the peanuts. My mom stuck her tongue out because they were too salty for her. I, on the other hand, smiled and put my hand back in the peanut tin to steal a handful, which ended up being one of several. These nuts are crunchy - they actually make a loud noise when you bite into them. And the salt wasn't too powerful to me. I liked being able to taste the sea salt on my tongue. I looked at the side to see where in the world these came from and was shocked to read "Rocky Mount" on the label.
I have Auntie to thank, for turning me into a sea nut-ty lunatic. I can't eat any peanuts now that don't hail from AB-NC. And apparently they made my Dad a little nutty too. He ordered eight tins. I repeat, eight tins. I was lucky enough to walk away with one, thanks to Mom, always looking out for me, and stashing one in my suitcase headed back to the Big Hot Apple.
I can only think of a few brands I've endorsed on my blog: Magnolia Cupcakes, not omitting Buttercup cupcakes, FreshDirect, and that's about it. Of course, in some cases, restaurants can fall into the "brand" category, but I'm thinking along the lines of individually-wrapped packaged goods.
Well, here's a new one for my record books.
My Aunt was visiting us from good ol' Rocky Mount, North Carolina a few weeks back. My brother and I always tease our cousins, "Where's Rocky Mount?" "What's in Rocky Mount?" "Who's from Rocky Mount?" Well, now I know. Rocky Mount is the home to some of our favorite relatives and to the best peanut I've ever tasted. We're not talking Planters (the fake peanut) or Virginia Diner Peanuts. We're talking America's Best Nut Co., period.
I noticed a big, green tin sitting alone in a corner on our kitchen counter. A tin usually means nuts for the taking. But I didn't recognize the gold- rimmed tin as our usual peanut stash from Balducci's. So, of course, I had to taste for myself. I mean, every peanut's different, right? Just like every pint of Blue Moon is different.
The tin we had on our counter was a tin of "Sea Nuts," after the salt used on the peanuts. My mom stuck her tongue out because they were too salty for her. I, on the other hand, smiled and put my hand back in the peanut tin to steal a handful, which ended up being one of several. These nuts are crunchy - they actually make a loud noise when you bite into them. And the salt wasn't too powerful to me. I liked being able to taste the sea salt on my tongue. I looked at the side to see where in the world these came from and was shocked to read "Rocky Mount" on the label.
I have Auntie to thank, for turning me into a sea nut-ty lunatic. I can't eat any peanuts now that don't hail from AB-NC. And apparently they made my Dad a little nutty too. He ordered eight tins. I repeat, eight tins. I was lucky enough to walk away with one, thanks to Mom, always looking out for me, and stashing one in my suitcase headed back to the Big Hot Apple.



16 Comments:
Gotta get me some of those!
yes g, yes you do:)
if you need me to send you a tin i will.
You know, Hubbs makes a mighty fine peanut, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen any that come adorned with sea salt.
*ponders*
S'kat, mmm, Hubbs? I haven't heard of those. I'll have to look it up and do some "research."
Okay. I'm sorry - but NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, holds a candle to Hubs Peanuts. Especially the chocolate covered ones available only Nov to April because of the melt factor. Yums.
Sounds like you've lost it. In fact you could be described as... Whoa! Who let that tumbleweed in?!
Your dad rocks! I didn't know you had some southerners in the fam!?! I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!!
Love,
soon to be Mrs. Mal
ps No if, ands or buts, I am coming to NYC this December to bask in the glow of the Christmas decorations! And have a few drinks w/you of course.
That looks really good. Actually, I've never seen anything like that: the nuts are litterally glittering in the tin. I'm tempted to order some.
This is funny....you posting about Rocky Mount, NC -- talk about off the beaten path. It's a small world isn't it. And, yes, those are fantastic nuts!
paige jenn, my goodness i guess i'll have to try the hubs:)
nazca, ha! you say i've lost it. but wait till you try one.
soon to be mrs. mal, you have to come visit me during xmastime. i already can't wait. and of course, i can't believe i'm going to be down there in less than a week for your wedding- so exciting!
jn, that's exactly right. they are glittering :) how's it goin jn? are you running the marathon or no?
janice, i know, right? i know my cousins and aunt will get a kick out of it. i haven't been down there in ages. hope all's well with you! how's the quilting coming along?
when a nut is really good, its the only thing that matters :) mmm nuts!
We'll be driving through NC when my parents come to visit this fall...maybe we'll be able to go check it out in person. (My parents veer towards "world's largest ball of twine" style roadtrips.)
Yeah, Still training: I am going to run in Montreal, on September 10th. What about you?
For the HUBS fans out there, I have just tried HUBS peanuts (I'm in Charlottesville) and they don't hold a candle to ABNC. So try them, and you will never go back.
yah, i'm always craving them. and before this tin runs out i'm going to have order a refill.
Hmm, well, with that testimony in mind, I will have to search out some ABNC!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home