Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Vintage Wine Bar

My friend MassPrep and I were hoping to see "Macbeth" in Central Park earlier this summer, but after she waited in line in what a theater worker called the "longest line ever" and there was "no chance" she could get tickets, she gave up. With very little discussion, we decided to go for drinks. When all else fails, grab drinks.

My friend and neighbor from work recommended Vintage Wine Bar on 93rd and Broadway so we gave it a try.

We walked past a store called Vintage Wine but figured it couldn't be the place. After looking around at all the stores on both sides of the block, we figured how many places named Vintage Wine could be on the same block? It seemed strange because it looked like a wine store. We slowly walked in, pretending we knew what we were doing, and I think the cashier picked up on our clueless-ness. He smiled and pointed straight to the back. A wino reads minds, apparently. There, past the wooden shelves of wine bottles and a fridge of fresh cheeses and chilled wines, we found the bar.

The bar consisted of a nice-sized counter that could fit around eight people, a few tall tables with stools in the middle, and a wrap-around counter with more stools. We decided to sit against the wall across from the bar so our conversation, which usually revolves around the latest in dating adventures, didn't completely gross out the bartender.

There was an extensive menu of all kinds of wines, many of them local New York vintages. The chalk board above the bar had a few featured wine specials and a list of snacks. The menu is limited so don't go to Vintage hungry, but it's perfect if your main focus is wine and you just need a small snack to accompany the glasses. MassPrep and I ordered a cheese plate and some olives. The bartender served us a fresh mini baguette and a platter with a block of cheese. The highlight of the night was discovering there were several wines for as little as $4 and $5 dollars a glass. I was stunned when the bartender offered tastes of these cheap glasses, that the wine was actually drinkable. I liked that no matter what you chose, the bartender offered you a taste. I wish more restaurants would practice this without having to plead, beg and watch the eyes role.

MassPrep and I stayed a little later then we should have on a school night but it was well worth it. I'm glad I've discovered a place in my neck of the woods to go for wine without having to take out a loan to pay the tab.


2 locations: SoHo and UWS

482 Broome Street, corner of Wooster
212-226-9463

2492 Broadway @ 93rd St
212-721-9999


13 Comments:

Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

Sounds like a good find. How is it a good friend lived two blocks away from there for, um, ever and I never ended up there? Oh well. Love the new layout, btw.

12:58 PM  
Blogger s'kat said...

It is indeed refreshing to discover a place that willingly offers tastes! Truly, there are still good and kind souls in this world.

*wipes tear from eye*

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally used to go there a lot!
I lived right acoss the street at
93 and west end. My gf at the time
used to go there all the time. I had read about long island's wines so I was very happy to try them.

Mona's Apple ruless. I will def
come back for more!!!!

Fin

3:51 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

PaigeJenn, are you serious? That's a travesty! Thanks for the layout comment. I'm kinda fiddlin' around with the it. One word from my dad was the old was getting stale so I said, ok, how do I undo stale? Still trying to reconfigure border thickness. Hope you're doing well! I have to plan a trip to Philly soon.

S'kat, I know, right? It's a novelty here in the city, when here they should ALL be allowing tastes. I'll get you some tissues :)

Fin, Ah! I love it when friends leave comments for the first time. You're one of the illustrious three who've stepped up to the plate, isn't that pathetic?
Thanks for visiting and yes, come back come back often, or as often as I update, which hasn't been as often as I'd like these days.

4:52 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

I've always wanted to check out that place - I've walked past a million times! And tastes of wine make me so happy.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Wow, fancy new look! Sounds like a nice find in your neighborhood. I could go for a taste right now, actually....that kind of day...lol.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

mebeth, i know, tastes of wine are yummy! i'm trying to figure out what i'm doing tonight.

bc, it's TOTALLY been one of those days! i'm in desperate need of some vino. i'm still trying to tweak the new look, need help with the width of the background green and changing the header/banner but this works for now.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That place sounds cool Mona! I've been drinking wine more than EVER, the four dollars bottles from the grocery store of course:)

Hope things are going well in NYC!

Love,
Malibu

11:04 PM  
Blogger Jn said...

Hello Mona!
Hey, I've been to the place and didn't even notice they had a bar. Maybe I was too busy trying to try French wine (and then I understood they only had NY wine, haha ;-))

Great new blog design by the way
:-)

So, this is the end of summer now. I thought you were supposed to go to London for summer?!?

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site! Thanks for your comment on my blog (sorry it took me so long to respond). Now I see that I should be checking back here often for those too-frequent nights when we have that conversation: "So where do you want to eat?" "I don't know. Where do you want to eat?" etc. and etc. and etc.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Avery said...

I think it's official. I'm somewhat missing NYC. Houston is great, but it's not NYC. Sounds like the wine bar was a pleasant experience for you. Keep writing.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i somehow misplaced this blog link somewhere a very long time ago, and for that, my deepest apologies. but i've found you again and hooray!

sounds interesting, perhaps i will make a trip over there sometime soon. :)

ps once upon a time, you may or may not recall, i'd commented on your site about your post on morimoto nyc. i've been back two more times since then (or one, depending on when i came to this site) and love it more every time. i've moved my blog since then... below is the new address!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Mal, how's married life? Can't wait to get down to Virginia, visit the Mr and the Mrs, and drink wine with you :)

Jn, no, no London for me. I ended up breaking up with the bf who worked in London this summer. How's running going? You should definitely try out vintage wine. It's great, and you can't find a better bargain for wine in the city.

Nova, thanks for visiting :) I love getting new visitors. Come back often, and feel free to ask me for any dining suggestions.

Avery, how are you doing? Great to hear from you! I've been slow on blogging these days but trying to be better about responding to comments. Hope all's well in Houston! Any plans to come back east ?

Hi Paz, what's new in your world? Thanks for continuing to be a loyal blogging friend:)

E, I do remember! I'm glad you found me again :) Keep in touch and excited you've revisited Morimoto. I have yet to do that...

Have a great day everybody!

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.