Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Quartino

I'm on the road this week, posting from sunny Carmel, CA. One of my best friends is getting married on Saturday and with the bachelorette party tonight and my birthday tomorrow (the big 2-7 on the 27th!), I figured I'd turn a birthday and wedding week into vacation week. If anyone on the left coast is in or around Stinson Beach this evening, look out! Some wild and crazy girls will be painting the town red. Hope everyone's having a fabulous week and I will catch up with you when I return to New York, if I do...

It was a Friday night and I had plans to go out with Winette and her husband Mr. HefeWeisen to one of their friend's birthday parties. More than somebody else's birthday party, I felt like it was my coming out party. I've never had one, but they were on a mission to introduce me to all these guys.

It was everyone else's weekend, and almost the end of my week, so I raced out of work to meet them at a restaurant downtown. I had never heard of Quartino but it sounded fabulous. It wasn't crowded, they had seats at the bar, it opened up right onto Bleecker Street, and with lots of wine, what could be better?

There was no sign to tell me I was at the right place, but with the open front I spotted my favorite couple eating, drinking, and having a grand ol' time at the bar. I grabbed a stool next to them, and when Winette saw me notice the pizza on the counter, she immediately slid it over in front of me. The cheese was oozing off the warm slice and I had to save it with my fork. The best thing about the pizza is its whole wheat crust. It was thin, crispy and didn't taste like cardboard. Quartino has a great selection of whole wheat pastas and pizzas.

I sat drinkless for a while, and it irritated me. The bartender knew I sat down because she handed me a plate, but then didn't come near me to follow up and take my drink order. I'm not one to sit down and immediately hail the bartender and yell my drink order in his or her face. I usually sit it out, and hope I get noticed after I lean in over the bar and make repeated eye contact. But this chick was not having it no matter what I did. When she awoke out of her doldrums to serve me, I ordered a generous quartino, or a mini carafe of wine, probably good for two and a half glasses. Most of Quartino's wines are from Italy, France, California and Washington, and some are even organic. The waitress wasn't really offering her recommendations, which added another negative point to her scorecard, but Winette gave me all the recommendation I needed. She steered me in the right direction with the wine and more importantly, with the food.

After I ate half of the pizza she ordered (having no intention of splitting it with me in the first place), I wasn't starving but wanted to try one more small plate. Winette pointed at the baked spinach with shaved parmesan reggiano and said it was excellent. I'm not going to lie, thoughts of spinach and cream goo started racing through my head, but I trusted her and tried it anyway. And I am so happy I did. The spinach looked and tasted like it was just picked off the farm. It was cooked to the perfect temperature, and the thinly shaved parmesan started melting in between its leaves. You could still make out that it was indeed spinach, which is a good sign when you cook these overly sensitive greens.

Despite my wait for the bartender's attention, I would definitely return to Quartino with friends or a date. Its dimly lit space with dark wood panelling and mirrors makes it a romantic spot, and I hear the garden in the back is cozy too.

*cash only*
11 Bleecker St, between Lafayette and Bowery
(212) 529-5133




9 Comments:

Blogger Avery said...

Well, I thought I'd surprise you with a birthday greeting but you've announced it to the world. Anyway, it was in my calendar (Thanks to Plaxo) and I wanted to say Happy Birthday. Enjoy this time, you deserve it.

Avery in Texas.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Thanks so much Avery for thinking of me, or at least for having a trusty program like plaxo to remind you of friends' bdays. That must come in handydandy! Hope you're having a great week!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Happy birthday, Ms. Mona!!

Enjoy the wedding and all that Cali sunshine....

3:48 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Happy Birthday and I hope you're having a great time in California!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Ed Tep said...

Mona - I hope you had a splendid time in Carmel and a wonderful birthday!

12:52 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Happy Birthday Whoo Hoo!! Was that you girls the Marin County Sheriff was looking for last night. What a party was had. Anyway welcome home to Cali.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds from your email that you had a great bday. Nothing like a good old fashioned family dance party....:)

Love,
Malibu

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got this code for the Time Out eating event on Tuesday. I went last year, and there’s a bunch of restaurants giving out free food, cool music and there’s a couple of open bars for the whole night. There’s a coupon code (TONYVIP) you enter at check out so you can get them for 20% off your tickets if you buy them before Tuesday. It’s a really fun event, and I think you get a gift bag and a free subscriptions, too.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

BC, Thanks so much! Man I did enjoy the sunshine. It was incredible!

Mebeth, Thank you! I did have a blast!!

Ed Tep, how 've you been? It's been a while:) I had a great time in Carmel and my birthday was awesome. Thank you!

Greg, ha yah I think the sheriff did show up, but not to arrest us, to party with us!

Mal, omg, the dance party was hilarious. One for the record books. Let's hope it doesn't end up on Youtube any time soon...How are you doing?

Anon, wow that sounds awesome. I originally wasn't going to go because it sounded so expensive. Maybe I'll rethink that decision...

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.