Tuesday, May 19, 2009

This Week's Bliss or Diss

Bliss:

Pizza at Gruppo for Fashionista's birthday dinner. Cheap, excellent eats topped with a super- friendly staff. Only downside is it's a tiny spot so I wouldn't go with a group of more than four people. 186 Avenue B , between 12th and 11th St., 212-995-2100

Diss:

Chez Lucienne. FTDC at this French bistro in Harlem was rather disappointing. My steak au poivre tasted like steak au A1, we never received one of the appetizers we ordered and the coq au vin -- if you're gonna do it, you better do it right -- was just eh. The only upside was I didn't hear a lick of English from the staffers. They all spoke French, so if you're feeling a little franc-drawal, visit Lucienne, just skip the steak. 308 Lenox Ave., between 125th and 126th Sts., (212) 289-5555

Bliss:

Woodson and Ford, the home of TheDude's engagement party. Wow. Great new spot I hope to return to often. It reminded me of La Esquina in its coolness and vibe. Hot bartenders in vests. Need I say more? 643 Broadway at Bleecker, 917-319-0222.

Diss:

Vince and Eddie's, UWS. I've walked by this place for years and its little green awning and chalkboard "Come Dine on Our Patio" always enticed me. From the outside it looked charming. It is cozy inside, to a degree, but the "patio" is nothing but an enclosed, small greenhouse. I melted inside eating my fried zucchini bites and the burger was a dry waste of calories. 70 W. 68th St., at Columbus, 212-721-0068

Bliss:

Chickpea fries at Nizza. Winette brought me here and I'm still dreaming of returning and having nothing but the doughy sticks and wine at the bar for dinner. 630 Ninth Ave., between 44 and 45th Streets, 212-956-1800.

Diss:

Gennaro. You bring a tear to my eye. I returned to you, my former favorite Italian (local) lover, and you were a total disappointment. Something was way off with our server. He would come over and ask us what we wanted and disappear while we were in mid-sentence. Truly bizarre. The pasta was underwhelming and don't get me started on the grilled vegetable appetizer. Molto triste!

Bliss:

Mussels at Esperanto. They were possibly the best mussels I've ever had, and ask anyone who eats with me on a regular basis, if a restaurant is offering them, I'll eat 'em. They were drowning in a light, garlic-herb sauce and parmesan. I never thought I'd be into them, but man. Dreamy. 145 Avenue C, at Ninth St., (212) 505-6559

Diss:

My morning baguette from Levain Bakery. I was hoping to find a local spot to pick up a baguette for the day at work and I won't be hurrying back to this one. I needed A-Rod's guns to crack it open and Jaws' teeth to put it down. Not an enjoyable experience, really. The New York Times calls Levain's chocolate chip cookies "divine." Guess I should just go for dessert. 167 W. 74th between Broadway and Amsterdam, 212-874-6080.

Bliss:

The bar food at Mason Dixon. Amazing. They have a bunch of comfort food and it was all delectable. I think I single-handedly ate the mac and cheese and fish tacos for a table of four. Not to mention the mechanical bull. Great place for happy hour, birthday, anything festive where you want people to get their drink (rodeo) on. 133 Essex St., between Rivington and Stanton, (212) 260-4100.

Diss:

Naima. Had dinner here with Fashionista and LittleMissSunshine and a) we were the only ones there, which should have been a dead giveaway, b) the pasta was borderline ick and c) I felt like we were in that scene in "Beetlejuice" where they are eating dinner and the food turns on them. There was no atmosphere whatsoever. It was just a big space with no heart, no nothing. I'm not even putting the address. Don't go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karthik Shetty said...

No pics? :(

6:32 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

ya so picky! i'll go home today before my trip and see if i can't add a photo for ya.

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.