Babb-Oh No!...Air Conditioning

Guilt: the self-reproach for supposed inadequacy or wrongdoing. This is the feeling I get when I send somebody to one of my favorite restaurants in the city and they come back less than satisfied. Thank you, BYOWino, for your time and efforts to share this horrendous, nightmarish experience with the eaters of New York City.
BYOWino reports:
Babbo is Mario Batali's culinary baby. According to Zagat, it is Manhattan's top Italian restaurant (ranked 4th best overall). The reviews, accolades and chef star power would entice any tourist or New Yorker looking for a remarkable dining experience. Naturally, per Mona's suggestion, I decided to purchase my parents a Babbo gift certificate for their 35th wedding anniversary in November.
Since reserving a table at Babbo requires planning, patience, persistence and a bit of luck (call at 10 a.m. exactly one month before your desired date), my parents still hadn't used their gift at the onset of summer. They decided to make their trip to Babbo a family affair to celebrate both my father's birthday and mine in mid-July. With a bit of good fortune, we successfully made a reservation for Friday, July 18th.
Cut to the 18th. NYC was in the middle of a heat wave with a "feels like" temperature hovering around 100 degrees. Aside from the fact that it'd be a little warm outside walking to the 110 Waverly Place location no matter your mode of transportation, I didn't think much of it.
I walked into Babbo several minutes before our 5:45 p.m. reservation, and my mom, dad and aunt were waiting for me at the bar with drinks in hand. Perfect. The restaurant was relatively empty and the temperature was nice and cool at the bar. The maitre d' escorted us up the stairs to the second level of the restaurant, or as I prefer to call it -- The Solarium.
Before I summited the flight of stairs to the Solarium, I noticed that the air was warmer, thicker and rather uncomfortable. "Maybe they just turned on the air conditioner," I wondered. "Maybe it'll get cooler as the sun goes down," I thought. Hoping that the thermostat would quickly adjust, I turned my attention to more important issues -- the food selection.
Despite recommendations from friends to try some of Babbo's best dishes -- mint love letters, for instance-- my family and I decided to go for a tour of Babbo with the meat and pasta tasting menu along with the wine pairings. Boy, were we in for a treat...or so I thought.
By the time we had our first dish, the Solarium had filled up and there wasn't an empty seat. Unfortunately, with more bodies crowded in the Solarium, the moderately bearable temperature became "don't move too much or I'll start sweating profusely." I started to get nervous as we had seven more dishes and glasses of wine ahead of us, and I didn't know how much longer we could last. We finally asked the waiter if he could turn up the air conditioner, but he said it hadn't been working properly and he would see what he could do.
Nada.
With each warm dish coupled with another glass of wine, we were being pushed to and over our threshold. Although the food was, indeed, quite tasty, our dining experience was turning into a disaster. By the time we were on our fourth dish, my mother was fanning herself and began feeling dizzy and nauseous. (Of course, rich foods and alcohol played a role in her condition, but I'm quite sure it wouldn't have escalated so fast and so hard if the Solarium was at a cool and comfortable temperature.) As the sixth and seventh dishes arrived, all we could talk about was the heat as my mom propped herself on the wall as if she was about to faint. At this point, the objective went from celebrating the birthdays over a nice savory meal to finishing as fast as we could in order to get to a more comfortable environment and avoid having my mom get sick at the table. As quickly as the waiters brought out our last dish-- the desserts with birthday candles for me and my Dad-- we asked them for the check. It was not the way we wanted to end the celebration.
Overall, the food was good and the wine selection was quite nice. The service was disappointing (though I think the heat was affecting them too). The plating and decor was unimpressive. Ultimately though, the uncomfortable temperature made for a terrible dining experience. For a top NYC restaurant, this was unacceptable. Not once did anyone from Babbo's staff apologize for the temperature or offer anything to make up for the poor conditions. After months of waiting and several attempts at reservations, my family and I couldn't fully enjoy what Batali had to offer.
For anyone looking to try Babbo this summer, I'd call ahead and ask if the a/c is working. And for those of you wondering what happened to my mother, she made it out of Babbo OK. Don't ask how she fared at home. That's a different story...
14 Comments:
Great Story! Horrible experience! What a shame! But what happened to your Mom?
Wow. that's rough. You should get your money back.
get your money back!
My god! That's awful. Is your Mama ok???
it's an older building, and perhaps the air conditioning is finicky. and it is july in nyc- it is hot everywhere. next time ask to move to another table.
While it's understandable that sometimes these things happen - appliances fritz or break completely - they should have offered an explanation or an apology before you guys even asked about it. And perhaps asked if you'd prefer to dine another night or something because eating pasta in humid/hot temperatures is just gross... I feel sorry for BYOWino and her family.. that sucks.
Anons and Lindsey, BYOWino's mom is OK now, but she did get sick at home. Poor thing!
Yvo, yah, that's my problem with this story. It'd be one thing if the a/c was broken. I understand we cannot control technological mishaps. But for the restaurant not to have offered something, ANYTHING, for my friend's (a he, by the way;) family is really really NOT OK.
BYOWino needs to be compensated for this. Does Babbo have no honor left to defend?
Wow, you'd expect more from an establishment like Babbo. What a bummer.
I was there the following night - Saturday the 19th! Sad to say that the AC was no better that night either. It was my first Babbo experience as well, and I went in with extremely high expectations. It's just very disappointing when you can't enjoy the dining experience because you are sweating profusely. Gross! I feel for you BYOWino..
I think that you were being a little selfish, why in the world after the 4th course when your mother is dizzy and nauseous would you sit through the rest of the dinner!!! I have eaten at Babbo numerous times and the staff have always been exceedingly accommodating. Given the situation and poor A/C I'm sure they could have wrapped the meal up after such course, and just sent out dessert. It seems crazy to me that you actually sat through a 8 course menu, during a heat wave, eating meat and pasta, drinking wine, while your mother was about to collapse. No wonder you all were over heated. Yes, it is unfortunate that the night you went to celebrate your anniversaries at Babbo just happen to be the night that the A/C was not working properly but unfortunately these things happen during heat waves where the city's power lines have been pushed to capacity. As far as being compensated, had you even asked to speak with a manager? I cant imagine had you spoken to someone that they would not have compensated you in one way or another, offered apologies, etc., etc. I'm sorry about your mother but I don't think you have the right to point fingers on this one!!
I hate when shit like this happens. Been there, done that. And no matter how nice the ambiance or how yummy the food, the experience is permanently ruined.
We had a wonderful time with some local Chowhounds this past Saturday night for a Batali-themed Italian potluck. Everything was really delicious, I couldn't say which were my favorites - I think I went back for seconds on EVERYTHING.
Thanks to the friendly Chowhound community, of course, where I was able to invite a bunch of Phoenix CHs to come over to our home bearing home-cooked food and bottles of vino. As a newbie to Arizona, I'm grateful for the chance to get to know such nice, generous people and, of course, spectacular cooks! Hopefully some will post on their delicious recipes.
NYC was in the middle of a heat wave with a "feels like" temperature hovering around 100 degrees. Aside from the fact that it'd be a little warm outside walking to the 110 Waverly Place location. I don't know why people think in that way.long island Ac duct cleaning
Post a Comment
<< Home