Monday, July 14, 2008

Bastille Day



Salut mes amis! Having lived in France for three years as a teen, I will always have a soft spot for all things French, particularly le 14 juillet.

In honor of France's Independence Day, I rounded up some French treats you can find in the city, whether you have time today or in the future. Amusez-vous bien!

Best frites: Pommes Frites
Best French onion soup: Artisanal
Runner-Up: Tartine (review to come)
Best steak frites: Balthazar
Best croque monsieur: Schiller's
Best French bistro: Balthazar
Runner-Up: Orsay
Best Champagne: Veuve Clicquot
Runner-Up: Ruinart
Best bouchon: Bouchon Bakery
Best chocolat fondant: Jadis
Best retail cheese shop: Artisanal
Runner-Up: Murray's Cheese
Best spot for a wine and cheese picnic: Central Park for the Philharmonic, tomorrow at 8p.m. Venez avec moi, that is, if you're not headed to the All-Star game.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jn said...

Oui oui

9:18 PM  
Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

I'm partial to the frites at Pastis but they are, bien sur, part of the Balthazar clan so I'll accept your choice to ignore Pastis. Isn't that SO French of me to insult you and then tell you it's okay I insulted you?

9:44 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

jn, ca va? il faut que nous sortons ensemble bientot!

pj, you're hilarious. tu parles francais? haven't been to pastis in a long time but may just be inclined to visit for steak frites.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Jn said...

Hey Mona, maybe I'll make a surprise visit to your Union square event :-)

9:33 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

jn, i would LOVE that. bring some friends too!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.