Saturday, February 18, 2006

Union Square Cafe

Swimster and I decided to go for lunch last week on my mid-week weekend. We grabbed a coffee at Barnes and Noble, read through some magazines and newspapers, and after some stomach growling, left in search of food. The only place that sounded interesting in the area was Union Square Cafe. Sadly we showed up at 11:40 and found the sign saying "Open at noon." So, NO FOOD FOR US! The stomachs had to wait a whopping twenty more minutes and I wasn't sure if they were going to make it.

We walked around the Union Square street market to kill some time, looking for free samples of breads and jams and condiments (I love free samples), only to find the turkey sausage man, grilling up a huge pattie of turkey sausage, as big as my two hands put together. He was generous and gave us both two toothpicks' worth of sausage to whet our appetite. It was excellent (and now wishing I had taken his business card). I hope he'll be around the next time I visit.

At 12:09, we walked in to USC and the bubbly hostess greeted us with a big Cheshire cat smile. I was worried we would be slightly uncomfortable, being on a non-business lunch date, but we were welcomed with open arms. She said she could seat us in two minutes. Dang! Open for nine minutes and USC was already a "full" house. As we glanced inside at the seating areas, we noticed plenty of seats at the cozy bar and opted to chow there. (Aside: A man walked in about five minutes after us, and we couldn't figure out why, out of all the seats left, he decided to snuggle up right next to Swimster. I thought it was funny, but Swimster was not so amused. Maybe it was his new haircut or the hot shirt I ironed for him:)

photo courtesy of www.unionsquarecafe.com

The inside of USC is divided into three dining areas: one to your lower left as you walk in, the ground level behind the bar and a mezzanine level above that. The decor is bright, airy and open, making for a comfortable eating spot. The clean white walls are sprinkled with some artwork, but nothing that screams over-decoration. USC exudes simple elegance, from the floors to the staff's blue and white-striped shirts (some wore red and white striped shirts, and I couldn't decipher what the difference was, possibly personal preference). These "uniforms" were clean and smart- traits I think we all hope for in a server. The shirts were the perfect finishing touch and confirmed my liking for USC.

The bartender was extremely friendly and took great care of us. She made sure I had enough wine to last me through the end of the meal, and she approved of our lunch choices, saying they would all be pleasers. Swimster chose the fried calamari with spicy anchovy mayonnaise to start, and I chose the homemade maccheroni (no, not macaroni Kraft-style but a noodle slightly thicker than spaghetti) with lobster-tomato sauce, basil, and tangerine oil. The calamari was excellent-lightly fried and cooked just right. It was a perfect blend of soft but chewy. And the best part? The anchovy mayo. Although, now I'm scarred for life and will be requesting that everywhere I go. The pasta portion was small and just right for sampling. After eating so much homemade pasta lately (thanks to Dad and Arthur Avenue visits), I am finding it hard to revert back to eating box o' pasta. (If anyone knows a convenient place that sells homemade pasta, do tell!) The sauce was thick and rich with flavor, and they were very generous with the lobster chunks. I happily twirled lobster and noodles onto my fork as Swimster was digging in to the calamari. For my second course, I chose the tuna salad sandwich on Tom Cat (a New York City bakery) white with slab bacon, arugula, and garlic potato chips. This was one of the best sandwiches I'd ever had from top to bottom. The bread was thick with a crispy crust, worlds away from Wonderbread, and the tuna fish was the perfect consistency-not too dry but not too mayo-ey. The garlic potato chips were fresh and grispy with the perfect amount of grease, and tasted like Cape Cod chips, but better. They were made in house and I loved the fresh minced garlic. Swimster chose the slow- roasted berkshire pork shoulder on a parker house roll with mustard fruit and roasted acorn squash. I tried one moist bite of this sandwich and my eyes rolled back with pleasure. I never imagined sandwiches could make me so happy. The pork was tender and had a sweet bite to it and its juices welded it together with the roll.

If you're ever in the Union Square area and at a loss for where to eat, look no further. Union Square Cafe is an exceptional choice, and blows all of its other Union Square neighbors out of the water.

Danny Meyer, you did good. And the fact that your restaurant has been open for a little over twenty years (in this come-as-quick-as-they-go New York restaurant town) should speak for itself.

21 East 16th Street
212-243-4020

21 Comments:

Blogger MeBeth said...

I like the fresh pasta at Bruno Ravioli (they have more than just ravioi). And Union Square Cafe is one of my favorite places - I always have a great meal there.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I have their cookbook and have always wanted to eat there.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

The DiPaolo Turkey guys are there most days the Union Square Greenmarket is open. They are at the Morningside Heights Greenmarket (Broadway bet. 115-113?) on Sundays, too. I love the sausage and the ground turkey.

I've actually never been to USC, but my dad has been a number of times. Like D. Meyer's other restaurant, Grammercy Tavern (which I have been to), I think they pride themselves on good consistent food and great impeccable service. It's The DMeyer trademark--patrons return for multiple trips and the restaurants have survived for so long because of it.

At some point, I have to try this place--but with so many other options in the area, it's always last on the list. Also, a bit expensive for my budget. Maybe for the next restaurant week?

12:27 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

MeB, Bruno Ravioli, where's that?

Kalyn, oh I think I'm goin to have to invest in that cookbook. Made anything from it yet?

12:28 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Rose, that's funny, I responded to K and M before, then you posted, but for some reason mine's below yours. I didn't leave you out!
That's so awesome you know those guys-suh-weet! That's funny, my dad had been as well, probably on business and kept telling me about it.
Last on your list? Wow, you have to show me that list of yours:) But I understand, it's a bit pricey...
Happy Saturday.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Ilva said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ilva said...

(I wrote that deleted comment above, I made the usual mistake of mistaken blog identity)
I want those fried calamaris, I LOVE that!!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

now that is a very attractive bartender! what a smile ;)

3:18 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ilva, oh you're funny:) Mistaken identity, sounds intriguing. Yes, the calamari was excellent.

Catesa, ha, that's what I said when I found that picture. We had a girl wait on us, will have to request this cute guy next time I go back if he's still around:)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Ahh I just passed UCS yesterday and some of my friends were like "AHH WANNA EAT HEEERE"...yeah, I'd like to go back. I want dessert though! :) And that fried calamari sounds excellent. Dammit...wanna go...

There's a homemade pasta place on Sullivan Street, right next to the Sullivan Street Bakery (between Spring and Broome). I never tried it but I heard it's good.

My stomach doesn't growl scarily until after noon (I don't eat breakfast); I dunny why!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

So I just went out to have my "cheese sandwich" and I pass by Poseidon Greek Bakery like always on 9th ave and I notice a giant sign in the window "We NOW have Bruno Ravioli!"

I bought the pumpkin and spinch/cheese ravioli. Will have to try them during the week :-)

4:39 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Robyn, thanks for that pasta place. I'm barely ever that far downtown but if I am I will definitely have to find it! That's funny you were so close to it, now just think calamari calamari calamari next time you walk by. We didn't have any room for dessert, maybe next time we'll do apps and dessert.

Rose, Poseidon on 9th, hmmm, I've never gone there. I keep hearing about Bruno Ravioli-this is great! Can't wait to hear how it turns out, if I don't get some first:) You'll have to tell Mebeth.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona,

This sounds good and all, but I want to hear about your night w/the stars on Valentine's Day!

We picked out a reception place today- Greencroft. It's out past Boars Head. It will be so fun! I am SO glad you are going to be the singer!!!

Looks like a close meet btwn FSU and UVa.....

Love,
Mal

7:18 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Mal, oh my god I have been meaning to check out the ACC results! NO WAY! That's crazy! I'm bummed I wish I could be there....
Can't wait to check Greencroft out online. So exciting:)
Doan worry, post to come about the big after V-day dinner!

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona,

I am ever so jealous! I have always wanted to go to the Union Square Cafe ever since I saw Nigella Lawson reproduce the famous bar nuts.

I love your accounts of life in NYC ... keep it up!

By the way, did you give Swimster the Valentine's Day greeting in Korean???

12:03 AM  
Blogger PepperThought said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:14 AM  
Blogger PepperThought said...

hey... thanks for blogging this.. .always wanted to check Union Sq Cafe, but never got around. sometimes i just crash the deli in the whole foods instead! :-( Anywayys, i had dinner at Uva in the UES. talking italian, this was cozy and good, but will wait to blog... dont want to blog based on my first experience... will try again.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that looks good, I am going to have to attempt anchovy mayo for myself, any hints on what else was in it? or how much anchovy?

2:06 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ivonne, yes I did and he was blown away:) So sorry I forgot to tell you:) Bar nuts? Bar nuts? How did I miss those? Guess that means I have to go back.

A-Garde, love Uva, I've eaten there a couple times and always enjoy my meal there. Actually, I've never eaten inside. First time I ate on the sidewalk in front and second time I ate in their back garden:) When does spring come??

Clare, oh no, sorrrrry, no tips on that. Gonna say it was pretty anchovy-ey though-ha:) Someone on here, let's see who it was...oh, Kalyn has their cookbook, wonder if it's in there. Kalyn? You there?

Thanks all for dropping by and leaving your comments!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

Forget the barnuts - the olives at this place are the perfect start a the meal. Nice post!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Paige Jennifer. thanks for visiting! Yes, I liked the olives too :)

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.