Friday, February 10, 2006

World's Most Expensive Wine


I couldn't resist.
How much would you pay for your favorite bottle of wine?
One very wealthy wine connoisseur just bought what is thought to be the world's most expensive bottle of white wine in the world at 55,000 pounds (= $96,812.24).
And the bottle? A 1787 vintage Sauternes from Chateau d'Yquem
Just to put it in perspective :
"When these grapes were picked, Marie Antoinette was sitting in Versailles waiting to have her head chopped off, James Watt was developing or inventing the steam engine, and George Washington had just been nominated the first president of the United States of America."
This from Stephen Williams, the Managing Director of London-based Antique Wine Company.
I've never tried it (that's a laugh) but Chateau d'Yquem is known for its sweet wine made in Bordeaux from completely shriveled up, late harvested grapes. It has the concentration that enables it to mature for many years, even centuries. The valuable bottle was acquired by the Antique Wine Company from a private collector in France. Williams will now fly to the U.S. with his special delivery to personally drop the wine off to his American client.
Maybe it's Swimster. Isn't he the best Valentine?

21 Comments:

Blogger Banlieue Blog said...

oh boy! We need full tasting notes!
I've never tasted that wine, I'm excited to hear!
Very charming story....

3:27 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Melissa, your comments worry me. I hope you know I was kidding about the Swimster bit...please please please? :)

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha!

Love,
Malibu

ps Call my cell tomorrow so we can catch up!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Malibu, ok perfect! Sounds like a plan!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Butterbemme said...

Well, with this wine you could brew a very expensive red wine sauce ;-), hahaha!
OK, seriously, who would pay nearly 100000 dollars for a bottle of wine? And when do you open it? Which event? Or maybe never?

12:18 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

BB, I know, seriously, right? It's unbelievable. I would like to ask all those questions to the person who purchased it. So crazy! And I'd also like to be at the party where he/she busts it out!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Jn said...

Ah...
I remember visiting the cellar of a man who owned at least 20 bottles of Chateau d'Yquem among other delicacies, two years ago. Didn't get to taste them unfortunately...

3:09 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Jn, are you serious? Wow that is so cool. And he was generous enough to let you take a tour of his cellar. Very cool! Where was it?

3:18 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Wow that's some expensive stuff to quence the thirst... that is, if anyone would ever open it to drink!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

I know, right Joe? I would so love to be a fly on the wall of that wine cellar;)

5:44 PM  
Blogger Vivilicious said...

Um hello? Some people just have too much money don't they? I mean, I like a very nice glass of wine and all, but 55,000 pounds is a bit over the top. Still, if you've got the bucks and that's your thing... Gives us something to talk about I guess!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Mona, thanks for the nice comments on my cheese sandwich announcement. I appreciate all my great blog friends.

10:22 PM  
Blogger cucina testa rossa said...

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh, i loooooooooooooooooooooooooooove chateau d'yquem! i first tried it at a food-wine pairing class with andrea immer and when she paired it with roquefort, the earth stood still. the next day i applied to cooking school.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Viv, ha, yah seriously. Can think of a million things I could do with that money as a po' kid. But who knows, if I had millions maybe I'd think differently:) Hoping it's goin to someone like Bill Gates, who is filthy rich, but does give a filthy amount to charities.

Kalyn, oh my goodness, you do not have to thank me. I realized this morning my post on foodscool was pretty selfish and I neglected to mention how ridiculous it was that he attacked weekend herb blogging. "Oh NO HE DI-IHN'T!!!!"
I can't wait to formulate a classy and tasteful response to that magazine and that particular contributor...

Cucina Testa Rossa, what a great story! Thanks for visiting. You are one of the lucky ones that's for sure!!! How exciting for you. And the earth stood still, nothing beats that, right?

11:45 AM  
Blogger Gia-Gina said...

I like to read Wine Spec. and see the high priced wine auctions. Much to rich for my taste.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

GG, hey! Yah, give me a $10-14 bottle o' wine and that's fine with me! Add a few zeroes to the end of that for some people I guess. I was looking for you this morning on the Today show on their set, remembering the great pix you took the other day of the square.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

some people are just plain crazy :)

2:33 PM  
Blogger Michael Mahle said...

Did you ever hear about what Steve Forbes did with his bottles of wine, previously owned by Thomas Jefferson?

Take a gander here:

http://www.wineontheweb.com/consumer_advice/startingacellar/startingacellar.html

http://www.askmen.com/toys/top_10/52_top_10_list.html


Ouch!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

catesa, ha i know, seriously!

giant squid, hey, thanks for visiting! now that is amazing!!! so someone bought this very expensive wine to chug, huh?
ha, probably not, they just want it as a trophy piece i'm sure: )

badge, i have no idea what forbes did and i'm going to those articles NOW :)

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't drink this wine. Most wines only last for about 50 years and then they are undrinkable. Research it.

6:00 PM  
Blogger JULIANJR said...

I AM THE ONE WHO BOUGHT THE 1787

Y'QUEM THAT OYU ARE DISCUSSING.

E MAIL ME AT JULIANJR@LECRAW.COM

IF YOU WANT TO HEAR MORE

TAKE CARE

JULIAN

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.