Friday, January 27, 2006

Rocky, bark hello!


Yay! I finally get to participate in Sweetnick's Weekend Dog Blogging.
Friends, I introduce you to Rocky.
Rocky is my friend who lives across the street from us in Carmel.
He's half German shepard and half malamute, hence his size.
Rocky may seem like he'd be one to reckon with, but he's gentle and loving. I picture him as an elderly gentleman, at the end of his long fulfilling life, who still likes the outdoors and enjoys watching the world peacefully go by.
His owners left for a ski trip and my brother and I got to walk him around the neighborhood a few times a day.
I grew attached to Rocky in the span of five days, so much I made Dad take a picture of me and Lil' Bro sitting next to him, and even cried saying goodbye to him. I wish I could have stayed to take care of him. He's old and tired and his best days are behind him. He always seems so lonely outside on his front stoop (his owners just had a baby and a la "Lady and the Tramp" they don't really pay much attention to him anymore).
Hi Rocky in Carmel, I miss you and promise to send treats soon!!

18 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Do you mean "Alaskan Malimut"? My brother has a purebred one of those. Such beautiful creatures.

They are nice dogs and I'm sure a mix with a shepard must be awfully cute. I wish he got more attention. poor little fella :-(

I'm glad you could give him so much needed attention for a few days though :-)

1:46 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

If that's the only malamute then I guess that's what I mean:) I'm not sure. Yes, they are beautiful. I've seen the purebred kind in Carmel and he was beautiful.
I know, I wish he got more attention too. It really killed me...

2:03 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

one of these days, my bro's dog G is going to make it to dog blogging. I just got a snap a good pic.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

aww that is so sweet! :) what a cutie pie.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I love an old soldier dog like that. He was probably so happy to have your attention.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so sad...hope there are other nice neighborly people for Rocky to hang out with!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

What a beautiful dog !

7:12 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Rose, yes, please do!

Alicat, I know, isn't he? And a sweetiepie too:)

Ragus, that is such a perfect description, "an old soldier dog." Fits him perfectly.

Janice, me too! I was happy our next-door neighbors noticed me petting him for a while one day and I kind of spilt my heart out about him. They said they would be more conscious of keeping an eye on him/keeping him company after I left.

Cindy, ha yes, he's beautiful in his own way:)

12:21 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Great pooch, and you can tell he's smiling.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

BC, yah I hope so!!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Mona,

did you get my email? wasn't sure if it went through or not.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Oh yes, I got no worries! Sorry didn't get back yet:) I'm psyched just got that email set up. Had too much going on with other email account couldn't keep stuff organized.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona -- I made your scones tonight. As usual, had to substitute. I thought I had heavy cream, but no such luck only half and half (but at least it wasn't fat free). I made just like the recipe, except used the Cuisinart to mix it all up and added sweet dried cherries (along with lemon zest). Sooooooooo good. Definitely a keeper. You'll put a smile on everyone's face at work in the am. I've eaten 2 already -- can you hear my jammies stretching!! LOL LOL
Definitely a keeper! Keep cookin' girl!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Ed Tep said...

Look at Rocky! What a lovable face!

3:03 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

have you considered getting a dog of your own Mona? you seem to be quite a dog person :)

4:28 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Janice, that is faaaaaaaabulous news. I'm so happy! The dried cherries sound like an excellent addition to the scone recipe. I'm impressed you've only eaten two-ha :) Way to go!!! I think you're the first person to try a recipe from my blog-Congratulations!! That's so great!

Ed Tep, yes, a completely lovable face :)

Catesa, oh I'm definitely a dog person. The only problem is I still have roommates and I live in NYC. I know a lot of people do the dog thing in the city, and I have contemplated it, but I'd have to wait until I had my own dog-friendly apartment. And when I do? Bring on the puppypaws :) Ha, no, I'm dying for a bulldog.

9:58 AM  
Blogger MizD said...

Rocky's got the same happy face as our Platelicker, who is somewhere around 3/8 Malamute. My favorite thing in our dog book about Malamutes:

Watch Dog: no.
Guard Dog: no.
Loves Everyone.


:-)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Mrs. D, oh that is so funny! Ha, sounds like my kind of dog. We never really had watch dogs around the house-they're too loud and crazy:)

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.