Barca 18
It was Carebear's birthday at the end of January and a big group of us planned a dinner to celebrate. I love birthday celebrations! They're just excuses to break out of the doldrums of routine, meet up with friends you don't see that often, and go nuts, which is what we did. I guess I should give up on the notion that we'll ever grow out of this "going nuts" tendency, seeing that our Wahoo five year reunion is coming up in May...
MerrillMuse made reservations for all of us at Barca 18. Sounded good to me, I'd never been.
I got to Barca about twenty minutes after the rest of the crew had been seated and already sipping on their cosmos and martinis. Everyone was neatly divided into two groups: girls on one side and boys on the other, kind of like my fifth grade ballroom dancing class, minus the white gloves.
Barca 18 is a great place for a party. Everyone has their own space, the next table is miles away from you; the service is extremely catering, so much you feel like your server is your personal server and only waiting on you that evening; and the buzzing space is larger than life with an industrial warehouse feel, only it's broken up into smaller sections by giant curtains dangling from the high ceilings to the floors. I was sitting at one end of the table and my shoulder kissed one of these "curtains", only it was made out of cold chainmail.
Carebear informed us the last time she ate at Barca she tried some of the tapas and hadn't been so impressed (odd, isn't that what the restaurant's foundation is?). So we stuck with some of the simple appetizers off the menu: crispy calamari with a spicy romesco sauce and marinated shrimp with crispy corn masa and an orange cream. There was nothing remarkable about either of the appetizers. The calamari didn't stand out and the shrimp, while glazed in a nice citrus coating, was forgettable. For my entree I tried the paella de langosta y camaron, which the menu should have noted was good enough for four people. It was enormous and had lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, chorizo, saffron rice, peas and peppers. Did you get all that? If Ben and Jerry were in the seafood business, this would be their version of the Cherry Garcia-so much stuff too little time. But proudly (or sadly however you look at it), I was raised to leave nothing on my plate for the dishwasher, so I ate it all finito! The paella came served in a big wok resting on a wiry stand (a good space-saver). They were very generous with the tender grilled lobster tails, and all the other seafood sprinkled among the rice and sausage. If you like paella, give this a try. I am not familiar with traditional Spanish paella, and would be curious to know how this compares, if there is someone out there who is.
And last but not least, I have to give their pastry chef team Elizabeth Katz and Michael Laskionis kudos. We were debating bringing in cupcakes or eating dessert there, and when the manager said we'd be charged for bringing in dessert when they have desserts on the premises (completely understandable) we ordered a birthday cake. It was a beautiful white tres leches cake with a strawberry filling, and they even put a cute birthday wish on top. It was just as good as it looked, but I was so stuffed from my GRANDE-tree I could barely appreciate it.
Mona's notes:
I'm choosing to leave out the apple rating on Barca 18. I can't really rate it because I didn't try enough of their dishes.
Barca 18 is a member of the B.R. Guest Restaurant Group (of Dos Caminos, Ruby Foo's, and Vento fame). And more notably, it is a partnership between B.R. Guest and Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin
225 Park Avenue South, at 18th Street
212.533.2500
MerrillMuse made reservations for all of us at Barca 18. Sounded good to me, I'd never been.
I got to Barca about twenty minutes after the rest of the crew had been seated and already sipping on their cosmos and martinis. Everyone was neatly divided into two groups: girls on one side and boys on the other, kind of like my fifth grade ballroom dancing class, minus the white gloves.
Barca 18 is a great place for a party. Everyone has their own space, the next table is miles away from you; the service is extremely catering, so much you feel like your server is your personal server and only waiting on you that evening; and the buzzing space is larger than life with an industrial warehouse feel, only it's broken up into smaller sections by giant curtains dangling from the high ceilings to the floors. I was sitting at one end of the table and my shoulder kissed one of these "curtains", only it was made out of cold chainmail.
Carebear informed us the last time she ate at Barca she tried some of the tapas and hadn't been so impressed (odd, isn't that what the restaurant's foundation is?). So we stuck with some of the simple appetizers off the menu: crispy calamari with a spicy romesco sauce and marinated shrimp with crispy corn masa and an orange cream. There was nothing remarkable about either of the appetizers. The calamari didn't stand out and the shrimp, while glazed in a nice citrus coating, was forgettable. For my entree I tried the paella de langosta y camaron, which the menu should have noted was good enough for four people. It was enormous and had lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels, chorizo, saffron rice, peas and peppers. Did you get all that? If Ben and Jerry were in the seafood business, this would be their version of the Cherry Garcia-so much stuff too little time. But proudly (or sadly however you look at it), I was raised to leave nothing on my plate for the dishwasher, so I ate it all finito! The paella came served in a big wok resting on a wiry stand (a good space-saver). They were very generous with the tender grilled lobster tails, and all the other seafood sprinkled among the rice and sausage. If you like paella, give this a try. I am not familiar with traditional Spanish paella, and would be curious to know how this compares, if there is someone out there who is.
And last but not least, I have to give their pastry chef team Elizabeth Katz and Michael Laskionis kudos. We were debating bringing in cupcakes or eating dessert there, and when the manager said we'd be charged for bringing in dessert when they have desserts on the premises (completely understandable) we ordered a birthday cake. It was a beautiful white tres leches cake with a strawberry filling, and they even put a cute birthday wish on top. It was just as good as it looked, but I was so stuffed from my GRANDE-tree I could barely appreciate it.
Mona's notes:
I'm choosing to leave out the apple rating on Barca 18. I can't really rate it because I didn't try enough of their dishes.
Barca 18 is a member of the B.R. Guest Restaurant Group (of Dos Caminos, Ruby Foo's, and Vento fame). And more notably, it is a partnership between B.R. Guest and Eric Ripert of Le Bernardin
225 Park Avenue South, at 18th Street
212.533.2500



13 Comments:
I am so intrigued by Paella and would love to find a place with a real traditional recipe. I did watch Food Network's Tyler Florence prepare the dish while traveling -- went on line and bought everything I would need to make it: paella pan, spices, etc. Never did it. I'll have to add it to my list of "must make or die" recipes. What fun to have so many places to choose from.
Stay warm....
I used to work in that building and ate there when it was Park Avalon. Walked by the other night and saw that it is more "glamorous" now. Don't know about the rest, but that cake sounds like my cup of tea.
Had dinner at Savoy the other night, right by the fire with cassoulet and shrimp (red skinned?) that you eat like softshell crabs. Thought you might like it. Their creme brulee was lovely.
Tyler Florence, I do not know him! But I'm not very familiar with the FN so that's not saying much...If you have the stuff to make it I'm challenging you to a paella duel!! Ha:) Well that wouldn't be fair b/c I wouldn't make it, I'd just watcha and oogle at the result:)
BC, oooh, really? That's wild! I forgot it used to be Park Avalon, someone mentioned that. I liked that place...yah cake was yummy!
And they were nice to make it nice and special for us.
Savoy-wow! That sounds fancy! I just checked out their website I will definitely have to try that someday. What brought you there..special occasion? early Valentine's Day?
Great post!
I love paella ...
Thanks Ivonne;)
I accept...I love a challenge! I'm just not saying when I will make this. I'm headed to DisneyWorld with my 6 yr old grandson next week, so after that!
We went to Savoy for a pre-valentine's dinner. It was lovely, though small.
Amy worked on Valentine's Day. How romantic. We're celebrating on Friday, which gives me time for more gift misdirection.
Glad you liked Dino. Can't wait to hear the review.
I had to take ballroom dancing too, complete with white gloves! I still haven't recovered.
Hey there- your email link doesn't seem to be taking me to the correct place tonight. But, I've just finished watching Runway, and have nobody else around to be watch-ly with.
DucCat had early-morning things to deal with. As a loving husband, he watched half of it with me, and for that I'm quite happy. :)
Otherwise... I can't believe that bleedin' c@cks&ck$r made it so far along- aaargh! I've got my bets on who will win, but nonetheless, there's certain to be a fair share of drama along the way.
$%*@1))%^&*^*9BLEHCHKHAKAJAKJ, you know what I mean?
Ah-hem. My apologies for my opinionations. This is a delicate time, you know. Time to make that email address work, girl. ;)
J, have so much fun at Disneyworld. I'm so jealous. I love that place!
BC, wait, are you saying you DIDN'T work on Valentine's Day? Wow, that's nice. Well I had it off but it's my usual weekend...
:) Headed to our big dinner tonight-Morimoto-cannot frickin' wait!
Mebeth, yaaah! So glad you feel me!!
S'kat, oh no! Someone else told me it didn't work..I'm going to have to look into it! Sorry!! And I have a confession to make, I've been Olympics obsessed and haven't seen a thing...but luckily we have it on DVR so I'll try and watch it sometime this weekend:) So don't tell me who got the boot and who's left!!!!!!!!!1
You went to Morimoto? They were talking about that on Regis and Kelly. They both went there, along w/Gelman, for Valentine's Day ( I think Kelly went the Sat. before but the other went on Valentine's Day). You are in good company!
xoxo,
Mal
Yes Malibu, it was soooooo awesome. Can't wait to write about it. And I told everyone at work about it;)
Oh man, I'm pretty jealous. Morimoto.
Ooh, la la.
Post a Comment
<< Home