Dinosaur Bar-B-Q
Valentine's Day. It comes and goes and usually for me, despite the anticipation, planning and excitement, ends up being a regular day, like most of my New Year's Eves (though not this year's after a drunken buffoon tried to jump me and then my wallet was stolen-that was enough excitement to get me through the year).
This doesn't mean I don't melt for flowers, chocolates, and the color red, which I do. I guess it just means I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of love in my life every day of the year, and nothing seems immensely special about February 14th in particular, other than the fact I go haywire for hearts. Maybe I just miss the good ol' days of getting twenty-five cent Valentines from my elementary school classmates. J.P., if you're reading this, I still have that broach you stole from your mom and gave to me in pre-school. You set the bar pretty high...
That being said, I was not the least bit disappointed when Swimster told me he made reservations for Thursday the 16th at a new place on the island. I could not wait, and since he would be taking out a loan for us to eat at said new place, I decided Valentine's Day lunch would be my pick (it was supposed to be my tab too, but Swimster somehow got to it first and I still feel guilty about it). I would have suggested going for dinner but Swimster had some studying to do, and I could go home and visit my dad, who was eagerly awaiting my mom's arrival the next day. Not bad! I got to spend Valentine's Day with two of the three men in my life, and this big fellow [insert good name here].

Without further ado, the surprise lunch for Swimster on Valentine's Day was Dinosaur Bar-B-Q. Swimster is a meat-eater. If he was a dinosaur he would have been a T-Rex. There isn't a whole lot he won't put in his mouth. That goes for me as well (in high school my parents called me the bottomless pit). I figured nothing would make him happier than a filling, casual lunch barbecue-style. And judging from Swimster's response, "No way dude!!! Is this where we're eating?" when he noticed the sign, I think my idea was a winner.

Since I don't take pictures that often, I decided to let the pictures speak for themselves this time. I think you'll get the gist. This lunch was a meat-lover's dream, and I can't wait to recruit friends to eat, drink and B-"Q"-merry with me at Dino. Walking into Dino, I temporarily escaped the snow-banked New York City streets and found refuge in what felt like the heart of Q-land.

First I tried the original fried green tomatoes. The crispy patties were sprinkled with Pecorino Romano cheese and served with a cayenne buttermilk ranch dressing. I enjoyed every bite of the soft gooey tomatas wrapped in their crispy casing. If I see these on a menu, my heart usually skips a beat. And they did when I tried them at Dino.

Swimster tried the drunken spicy shrimp boil, or peel and eat shrimp cooked in beer, old bay, cayenne, herbs and spices and served with habanero cocktail sauce. He got the 1/4 pound solo serving...thank goodness. I think he was a little scared at first to dig in, then our friendly server came to the rescue with a big bucket of handwipes. The coast was clear (and shortly, so was his plate).
For my main meal I tried the big ass pork plate of pork shoulder, smoked low and slow the ol' timey way: hand pulled and piled high, according to the menu. With the entrees at Dino you get two sides. Mine, as you can see, were mac and cheese and fries. I promise the corn bread was not nearly as huge as it looks in this photo. The "big ass" plate was big and filled with good things, but the pork was by far the highlight. I loved the thick tender shreds of pork and the sauce that was lightly mixed in, leaving enough room for you to add your own sauces (of which there was plenty on our table). Somehow I had the self-control to save some for a doggie bag (why is it doggie bag, I feel it should be a piggie bag). And I made everyone at work the next day extremely jealous.

I could have guessed what Swimster was going to get-the sampler extreme which had 1/2 a chicken, a 1/2 rack of ribs, and Texas beef brisket, not to mention the two sides he got with it: mac and cheese and bar-b-q fried rice. I went in for the brisket first, and it was soft and a little chewy and full of flavor. I'll admit, I'm not a rib chick, and was not too enthusiastic to try one. But after watching the meat gracefully fall off the bone into Swimster's mouth, I gave in. I have since converted to a rib chick.

In addition to the incredible meal choices you have, Dino has a great selection of beer to go with it. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Blue Moon on the back of the menu. Blue Moon is probably my all-time favorite beer in the world. Yes, I know it's not Heineken or Budweiser, but that's not my thing. I love my wheat beers. Swimster agreed, it was a Blue Moon kind of day and what the heck, we went with a whole pitcher. It's not often we get to spend time with each other (and drink:) in the middle of the day.

What was that about Valentine's Day just being a regular day? Lunch at Dinosaur Bar-B-Q was no regular lunch. I think it will become a tradition. Anyone wanna sign up for next year's February 14th trip to barbecue in Harlem, USA? If you live upstate, you can go to their Syracuse location or their Rochester location.
Mona's directions: It gets a little bit tricky here-do not be fooled into taking the express 2,3 to 125th. If you do, you will be getting off north of Morningside Heights (trust me you do not want this, Swimster and I did this once late at night and I thought we were going to make the front page of the Post the next day in some horrific headline). Take the 1 to 125th St., get off and walk west on 125th St. (not North on Broadway). Take a right on 12th Avenue and Dino is directly on your right hand side. Someone seems to have miscounted the streets because it goes from 125th to 131st. Well, not really, but the roads are a little crooked and you can't say I didn't warn ya'.
646 W. 131st St.
212-694-1777
See you again soon Dino!

This doesn't mean I don't melt for flowers, chocolates, and the color red, which I do. I guess it just means I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of love in my life every day of the year, and nothing seems immensely special about February 14th in particular, other than the fact I go haywire for hearts. Maybe I just miss the good ol' days of getting twenty-five cent Valentines from my elementary school classmates. J.P., if you're reading this, I still have that broach you stole from your mom and gave to me in pre-school. You set the bar pretty high...
That being said, I was not the least bit disappointed when Swimster told me he made reservations for Thursday the 16th at a new place on the island. I could not wait, and since he would be taking out a loan for us to eat at said new place, I decided Valentine's Day lunch would be my pick (it was supposed to be my tab too, but Swimster somehow got to it first and I still feel guilty about it). I would have suggested going for dinner but Swimster had some studying to do, and I could go home and visit my dad, who was eagerly awaiting my mom's arrival the next day. Not bad! I got to spend Valentine's Day with two of the three men in my life, and this big fellow [insert good name here].
Without further ado, the surprise lunch for Swimster on Valentine's Day was Dinosaur Bar-B-Q. Swimster is a meat-eater. If he was a dinosaur he would have been a T-Rex. There isn't a whole lot he won't put in his mouth. That goes for me as well (in high school my parents called me the bottomless pit). I figured nothing would make him happier than a filling, casual lunch barbecue-style. And judging from Swimster's response, "No way dude!!! Is this where we're eating?" when he noticed the sign, I think my idea was a winner.
Since I don't take pictures that often, I decided to let the pictures speak for themselves this time. I think you'll get the gist. This lunch was a meat-lover's dream, and I can't wait to recruit friends to eat, drink and B-"Q"-merry with me at Dino. Walking into Dino, I temporarily escaped the snow-banked New York City streets and found refuge in what felt like the heart of Q-land.
First I tried the original fried green tomatoes. The crispy patties were sprinkled with Pecorino Romano cheese and served with a cayenne buttermilk ranch dressing. I enjoyed every bite of the soft gooey tomatas wrapped in their crispy casing. If I see these on a menu, my heart usually skips a beat. And they did when I tried them at Dino.
Swimster tried the drunken spicy shrimp boil, or peel and eat shrimp cooked in beer, old bay, cayenne, herbs and spices and served with habanero cocktail sauce. He got the 1/4 pound solo serving...thank goodness. I think he was a little scared at first to dig in, then our friendly server came to the rescue with a big bucket of handwipes. The coast was clear (and shortly, so was his plate).
For my main meal I tried the big ass pork plate of pork shoulder, smoked low and slow the ol' timey way: hand pulled and piled high, according to the menu. With the entrees at Dino you get two sides. Mine, as you can see, were mac and cheese and fries. I promise the corn bread was not nearly as huge as it looks in this photo. The "big ass" plate was big and filled with good things, but the pork was by far the highlight. I loved the thick tender shreds of pork and the sauce that was lightly mixed in, leaving enough room for you to add your own sauces (of which there was plenty on our table). Somehow I had the self-control to save some for a doggie bag (why is it doggie bag, I feel it should be a piggie bag). And I made everyone at work the next day extremely jealous.
I could have guessed what Swimster was going to get-the sampler extreme which had 1/2 a chicken, a 1/2 rack of ribs, and Texas beef brisket, not to mention the two sides he got with it: mac and cheese and bar-b-q fried rice. I went in for the brisket first, and it was soft and a little chewy and full of flavor. I'll admit, I'm not a rib chick, and was not too enthusiastic to try one. But after watching the meat gracefully fall off the bone into Swimster's mouth, I gave in. I have since converted to a rib chick.
In addition to the incredible meal choices you have, Dino has a great selection of beer to go with it. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Blue Moon on the back of the menu. Blue Moon is probably my all-time favorite beer in the world. Yes, I know it's not Heineken or Budweiser, but that's not my thing. I love my wheat beers. Swimster agreed, it was a Blue Moon kind of day and what the heck, we went with a whole pitcher. It's not often we get to spend time with each other (and drink:) in the middle of the day.
What was that about Valentine's Day just being a regular day? Lunch at Dinosaur Bar-B-Q was no regular lunch. I think it will become a tradition. Anyone wanna sign up for next year's February 14th trip to barbecue in Harlem, USA? If you live upstate, you can go to their Syracuse location or their Rochester location.
Mona's directions: It gets a little bit tricky here-do not be fooled into taking the express 2,3 to 125th. If you do, you will be getting off north of Morningside Heights (trust me you do not want this, Swimster and I did this once late at night and I thought we were going to make the front page of the Post the next day in some horrific headline). Take the 1 to 125th St., get off and walk west on 125th St. (not North on Broadway). Take a right on 12th Avenue and Dino is directly on your right hand side. Someone seems to have miscounted the streets because it goes from 125th to 131st. Well, not really, but the roads are a little crooked and you can't say I didn't warn ya'.
646 W. 131st St.
212-694-1777
See you again soon Dino!
27 Comments:
Big ass pork plate indeed. Great photos.If only I could smell the food in your post.
Great review, Mona. Mouthwatering pictures, too. Especially the beer. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and broke out of the Valentine's rut. Oddly enough, Amy and I celebrated at lunch, too.
Mmmm, I feel like I can smell that smokey goodness from here...Sign me up for next year! Or, sooner, if you want....
Valentines day is just something dreamt up by Hallmark and sold to us stupid plebs every year...!
...no, I didn't get any cards :'-(
The BBQ place looks great, I lurve ribs and pork in general.
Your taste in beer has merit, specially if you think that Heiney and Bud are something to forget ;-)
When/if you hit London I'm gonna have to come down and sample the local/European ales/wheat beers with you :-)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mona! I love Dinosaur Bar-B-Que!! Isn't it neat how its the only thing for many blocks, yet cabs are constantly pulling up to it? Their mac and cheese - forget about it! And that cornbread. MMM MMM. That's it. I'm going. Right now. Forget work, forget pilates!!
Happy Valentimes!
Greg, ha, I know right? I'll have to look into getting aromatherapy added to blogger.
BC, hey, good I'm glad. I'm so not used to doing the pix in restaurants, I always try to be quick and subtle and just hope something will turn out.
Naz, sounds like a plan my friend (meeting for a brewskie in London). I'm glad you're still talking to me, not sure what kind of beerboy you'd be :)
Coodence, ha, I know, I noticed the random cabs swarming outside. Hmmm, pilates or dinosaur, pilates or dinosaur. What sounds more fun? :)
Great photos and review! I'm not a huge meat eater but even I'd wanna try this place out. ...It's like a CHALLENGE. HAHAHA. A challenge that will result in me having to roll home...
Robyn, funny you mention that. Our plan was to take subway there and walk home, b/c I thought we'd feel better after eating so much. But what really happened? We ended up walking one block and felt so stuffed and sick, barely able to stand (let alone roll) we hopped on the subway. Ha !!:)
It sounds SO GOOD, I can't believe I've never been there. And Blue Moon is my favorite beer! I'm thinking it is the perfect lunch spot to bring the parents this weekend.
Now that's the good stuff! Lady & the Tramp ain't got nothin' on the two of you!
Please sign up DucCat and I for next years BBQ bliss!
The 'cue, the ribs, the mac'n'cheese, oh my...
Mebeth, oh my gosh, yes Mebeth!!
I told my parents the next time they're in town I'm bringing them there. And the atmosphere is great too:) It was pretty quiet for a mid-week lunch, I would love to see it on a busier day.
S'kat, you are so funny. And Lady and the Tramp is one of my all-time favorite movies...my parents' too. Can't wait to have you and DucCat up here. Lookout, though. I'm known to steal food off the unexpecting guests' plates:) heehee...
Yum-o!! Mona it looks like you made an excellent choice and had a great Valentine's Day with your honey!
All the food looks absolutely amazing and as a southern girl you know I gotta love me some bbq!! I certainly wouldn't turn down that Big Ass Pork Plate, or those ribs!
YUM!!!!!
Malibu
hey, i just notice the new text type for the side bar. nice!
I love fried green tomoatoes (not the movie)...Dixie Kitchen in Chicago served them too and I always made sure to get an order.
Shrimp and beer? I would never think of the two together...but it sounds interesting.
Are there any bbq options that are not pork? Besides the brisket...a chicken dish?
Rose-- Yup, Dino has big, meaty, smoked chicken wings, half birds, steak, fish, etc...Plenty of other choices besides pork. Some folks say their wings are some the best around.
looks like my kind of place! it looks like the kind of place that people can bring their dogs too. im going to open a dog friendly restaurant someday oh yes. bbq and our beloved dogs and beer.
ps. that was me... thats my dieting alias. shhhh dont tell ;)
Cul obsessed, great minds think alike. I just thought, if they're a barbecue joint I had to try the basics.
Mal, oh it was yum! Is there a place in Charlottesville (besides tailgates) where we can get good barbecue? I forget...
Rose, BC already answered your question but yes, there are a ton of chicken dishes. And for some reason, after I added the email button all my sidebar fonts changed...which I don't mind but it looks much better with everything aligned to the left. Thanks for noticin :)
If you've never heard of shrimp and beer it's great. Beer's actually great with a lot of things. I only know because my brother loves experimenting with it in all kinds of foods.
BC, word :)
Catesa, that's a great idea:) I love it! Dogs and barbecue, but not sure how you would keep them off the tables. heehee. and your diet alias is safe with me. I should cehck out your other blogs.
I hear Korean restaurants LOVE dogs in their restuarants! ;-)
Naz, shame on you. Love them in the restaurants as pets or on their plates?
well you are welcome any time, i just try to keep the 2 seperate because i like having multiple secret identities lol i did think having high tables and chairs would help but i guess if a great dane came along we'd be out of luck.
oh, and Naz knows how to push those buttons heh dont MAKE me take out my trout on you boy ;)
Oooh Mona, this here girl is a BIG fan of BBQ, especially pig. That would have done me just right for V-Day. Instead, I got boxes and packing tape, eek!
catesa, i know right? naz is such an instigator:) like my little brother.
viv, thanks for visiting. boxes and packaging tape...that is, err, original! ha, no, i know you're moving. completely understood. there's a light at the end of your tunnel viv!! and it's called SINGAPORE :)
Yes, another restaurant to visit in the Upper Upper West Side!
Especially since I am part of the Meat lovers gang.
I really enjoy that your reviews have shifted uptown.
As for Blue Moon, I can say only one word: Bravo!
Jn, ha, nice. I'm glad that made you happy :) I didn't realize you were in my neck o' the woods. I'll keep that in mind next time I head downtown to eat.
Well, for BBQ you know it's Texas. Really. So, consider this your open invitation to visit the wonderful city of Houston. It's rodeo time right now so the city is in a buzz. Of course, in August when it will be a million degrees, my big 50th birthday bash will take place over several days here in Houston and maybe more. Consider this your open invitation to the event. Perhaps Galveston will be one of the party spots. So, for BBQ and all sorts of other meat related items you're going to have to bring Swimster to Texas. We also have lots of pickup trucks here. I suppose you already know that. Former Edit-Man......
Avery, that is great. I am soooo there!! I have news...little CC is moving to Dallas. I'm wishing I could go with her..When's your 50th bday? Can't wait to hear about it!
Post a Comment
<< Home