Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Mo Pitkin's

Swimster got his first choice/dream job offer and we wanted to celebrate with good friends. The job will take him to London for the summer and I'm trying to find a way, a means, any reason for me to go with him. (If you're in London and reading this...got job? Mona will do it for fish and chips!)

I keep going to Eater to try and pick a fun new restaurant that few have tried or written about, but I'm always led astray by a good review of a not-so-new place. When I read that my favorite restaurant Kitchen and Cocktails (R.I.P.) closed, I shed a few tears and made it my mission to find a substitute for its comfort food and atmosphere. After reading "deep fried macaroni" on the Mo Pitkin's menu, I hoped I found the place.

Fashionista, Swimster, Architetto, and our new friend in New York BigBlueBabe all met at Mo Pitkin's and had a few drinks while I scrambled to leave work. I called the restaurant earlier that day to make a reservation, and the hostess really went out of her way to accommodate us; despite not having a spot for us at the time I wanted, or being able to sit a party that wasn't all there (I hoped my friends could sit and get started while I left work but that wasn't possible). Instead, she just told me to send my friends there, have them put their names in, and by the time a table opened up, I'd probably be there. Voila! This plan worked and we were seated shortly after I arrived. Thank you Caitlin!!

Mo Pitkin's full name is "Mo Pitkin's House of Satisfaction" and satisfy it does.... Mo's takes up two stories and they have four different rooms to please every patron: the dining room and bar downstairs, topped with the 65-seat cabaret room and Sadie's Hideaway for private parties on the second floor. We stuck to downstairs, but the word on the street is Mo's has great performers of all shapes and sizes that visit upstairs. The cooking is Judeo-Latino, and you'll just have to read on (or go there) to understand what this means.

The bar is long and lean and there are lots of stools and space for people to linger around. Beyond the bar is the simple dining room. There is nothing really remarkable about the space. Tables in the middle seem to be for bigger parties and surrounding them are the big leather booths where we sat. The booths are 3/4 circles and very cozy for a group of five or six people. Circle tables = happy customers and conversation. Don't worry, Mo's makes up for its no-frills atmosphere with ball-busting and over-the-top food.

Since this was a celebration, Swimster didn't waste any time in ordering cocktails for the table. We tried a red sangria pitcher and a white sangria pitcher. I had never tried white sangria before and was pleasantly surprised. Both sangrias were excellent and not too sweet (or stingy on the alcohol).

For our appetizers we went with crispy artichoke with lemon and fennel and a romesco dipping sauce, potato latkes with apple sauce and sour cream, and chiccarones de pollo with avocado salsa. (aside: I'm drooling rethinking this meal and I might have to go get lunch in the middle of writing this post, if I don't eat my arm first.) The artichokes were very lightly fried, like they sprinkled some frying dust on them without actually dipping them in batter. And the romesco sauce was so sweet I ended up eating the remains of the sauce with my fork. The potato latkes were thick patties of potato: hot and crispy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside. Sour cream and apple sauce are to latkes as ketchup is to fries, and I now know why. The chiccarones de pollo were mini drumsticks right out of a cartoon: they were big and round and meaty on top. The skin was crispy and tasted good on its own, especially with a dollop of the avocado salsa.

For the entrees I tried the chicken club with apple-smoked bacon. Architetto went with the famous rotisserie chicken, BigBlueBabe tried the starving artist special, which was basically a burger, fries and a draft beer-a great idea for a meal. Every restaurant in New York should adopt something like this in their menus. Swimster tried the grilled skirt steak with chimichurri and fries. No, I didn't forget about Fashionista, she chose wisely, and snacked off everyone else's plates. In addition, we all shared the sides: deep fried mac and cheese (yes you did not mis-read this) and manchego garlic fries. I will begin with my club. It was no club in the ordinary diner sort of sense. Instead it was two long narrow slices of warm grilled challah with long strips of bacon and lettuce and tomato, and this amazing chicken "salad". It was shredded chicken with herbs, little to no mayo and could go down as one of my favorite sandwiches of all time. Their rotisserie chicken is one to reckon with. BigBlueBabe's hamburger was the size of her head and looked excellent. Swimster's strip steak was tender and moist with flare. The chimichurri added a nice kick to it, something different for a change. Finally, last but not least, the deep fried macaroni and cheese. I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats wondering what in the world this was like. Well, it came to the table in the shape of a brick, a real brick of fried something. When we sliced open the fried brick with our steak knives the mac and cheese came oozing out. I would have to say off all the things we ate that night, this was the only slight disappointment. I think I prefer the baked mac and cheese with the fresh breaded topping, instead of the fried layer that surrounded the mac and cheese, it was more like frozen food fried instead of freshly fried. No worries, the garlic fries were incredible and we were all fighting to get the last fry. Mo's fries are thick and crinkly, and cooked to medium well. Shreds of manchego cheese were sprinkled and lightly melted on the fries, and garlic was tossed in the mix as well. Mmmmmm-o Pitkin's!

Mo Pitkin's was an excellent place to take good friends and have a truly fun dining experience. Its casual atmosphere makes it a comfortable spot to eat and have fun any time of the week no matter what you're wearing (a real anomaly in New York City). I felt we were all little kids in big kids' clothing that night. Every time something came out we were clicking our heels together and clapping and bouncing off our seats, the way I felt at birthday parties at Bullwinkle's when I was a wee little girl.
3apples
34 Ave. A, between 2nd and 3rd Sts
212-777-5660

29 Comments:

Blogger Amy Traverso said...

Congrats to Swimster! When Mr. Cinematech and I come to NYC next, can we go here?

Crossing my fingers that you'll make it to London...

4:04 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Amy, ha, you're so sweet. Thanks! You should definitely take Mr. Cinematech to Mo Pitkins. And who knows, maybe you can poke your head in upstairs and find some great music or some hilarious comedian performing. Me too....crossin' the fingers and legs!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Butterbemme said...

London... Sounds good. I hope you will make it to Europe. Good luck ... or like a famous german soccer player said: you will have a little bit lucky (whatever that means ;-)) - he also played in NY for a short time - NY MetroStars, I guess

6:12 PM  
Blogger Nazca said...

If anyone pays you in fish and chips I'm migrate south and join you!! Not sure if I could put up with all those cockneys though ;-)

I wonder if Catesa likes deep fried mac and cheese? Who am I kidding, she probably invented it...

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful for Swimster! And he doesn't even have to learn another language.
Fried mac and cheese...sounds like something we would make in Georgia. giggle giggle

8:19 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Congrats and jolly good to swimster.I am reading your post just priot to dinner and am glad I installed a drool guard on my keyboard.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for Swimster! Tell him Congrats for me! You two better be back from London by 8/12!!

Call me later this week.

Good night,
Malibu

9:47 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Congrats to Swimster. I do hope you get to go to London too. It sounds like a wonderful adventure. (And I hear they have the internet there too.)

10:25 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

BB, ha, well said by the soccer player. Very funny. Speaking of soccer, I think I'm going to try and make it over there for the end of the world cup. Any thoughts?

Naz, ha, cockney, eh? What dialect do they speak where you're from? Catesa could probably make a sick deep fried mac and cheese, I don't doubt it.

Janice, fried mac and cheese in Georgia? I'm comin down!!

Greg-drool guard-HA! That's great. I need to get me one of those.

Malibu! Hey girl, good to see you again on the blog:) I got your call last night, but I got it too late, was out for dinner with my roommate for her bday. Can't wait to catch up. I will certainly be around for your big day my dear!!

Kalyn, ha, they do??! That's excellent:) Yah I think I need to put in my vacation request NOW!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

fashionista!! aaaaaah! i totally forgot!! you have to send me pix!! i knew i was waiting for something. dangit!! well at some point i'll be able to post them to the site:)

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been curious about this deep-fried mac and cheese (and I don't even like mac and cheese that much). Now I don't feel like I actually have to eat it since someone did it for me.

Did you know that they deep fry pizza in Scotland?

5:25 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Pizza? Deep fried? Krista I have never heard of such a thing. That is insane. I can't even picture it...I thought we Americans were the only ones who deep fried everything and anything under the sun.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Michael Mahle said...

Hey Mona,

Congrats to Swimster. Good read about Mo Pitkin's. Been meaning to check this out...much for the same reasons as you...

Speaking of Ms. Heigel, or Heigs, as her brother used to be called...it seems as though we may have mutual friends.

Ha! Laterz,

MM

5:49 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Are you serious? You knew Katie? And her brother? That's even more unbelievable. I forget what year he got in the fatal accident. So sad....
You should definitely check out Mo's, I think I want to go back on a night when I can see a show upstairs.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona,

Great review! And congratulations to Swimster on the job ...

If you find a position in London, will you take me with you???

Seriously though, this is an excellent post and my favourite part of the meal had to be the crispy artichoke. I am an artichoke mania ... hmmm ... can you bake a cake with artichoke???

Ciao!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Congrats to Mr. Swimster! Now he can take you out to fancy shmancy places!

Interesting place that has both artichokes AND latkes :-) Another of course, I am going to have put on my "must eat there" list

9:03 AM  
Blogger Michael Mahle said...

Long story short...I was friends with Mary Beth O'Brien, originally from New Canaan (now lives up in the Depot). She used to drive a VW van painted blue with clouds and all that hippy stuff on it and was very, very close friends with Heigs. I remember going to his place once or twice to hang out. I don't know Katie personally though.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Mo...I've been so sad about you leaving NY that I haven't been able to send my congrats to you. What will happen to your apple without you?

Deep fried pizza...add some bacon and I think you have found my poison dart.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Ivonne, thanks for your kind words:) At this point I'm just hoping to get there myself. But I think I have a big enough duffle bag to fit you in. If you bake a cake with artichoke TELL ME ABOUT IT!

Rose, yes you must add it to the list. I mean, the food was sooooo good and we only tried a small portion of their offerings. Can't wait to go back and try other stuff.

Badge, what a small world!

BC, let's not put the horse before the carriage. I'm thinking of going to London for a nice Vacay- no plans to move there permanently (yet:) Hee hee.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Nazca said...

We speak Manc in Manchester(original no?), quite refined compared to a lot of others (scouse for example!). Having fish and chips tonight!!! Haven't had them in ages :-(

1:55 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

Congratulations to Swimster! Your meal sounds fabulous, and even though you didn't love it, I still think I must try that mac and cheese. For science, you know.

My favorite food in London was the avocado, bacon and mayo sandwiches. I've never eaten such a delicious sandwich. Good luck on the job search, or at least on finding cheap tickets for lots of visits.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Naz, wait, didn't I just say I'd work for fish and chips? Save some for me...need a housekeeper? Ha:)

Mebeth, seriously, welcome back! It's been soooo looong! Everyone, Mebeth just getting back from her honeymooooooon, yes that's right. If the rest of the trip was anything like the flight it must have been outstanding. Did you say sandwich with avocado? I'm soooo there!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Butterbemme said...

Congratulation to Mebeth

Somehow, everyone around me has married (workmate) or is planning his wedding (workmate and cousin), and what's about me? I'm home alone :-(

10:49 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

BB, you're funny. Don't fret! Your time will come!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Vivilicious said...

Congrats to Swimster. Hope you can make it over here, job or no job. Sadly I will be in Singapore by the time you arrive, but shoot me an email if you want a list of good cheap eats (London is EXPENSIVE!). Will definitely have to try Mo's the next time I am in town...

2:50 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Viv, wow, Singapore? I take it you're moving there permanently? Amazing, I've never been but heard it's fabulous. I would love your list of cheap eats. No hurry though, we do have several months:)

Paz, thanks my dear. Should be interesting...I'm already dreading another summer by myself and no Swimster (he was in CA all summer last year) but 10 weeks isn't too too bad, and there will be a London lamppost at the end of the tunnel.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

HA:) hey girl you are hilarious! Good I'm glad-when are we going out again?? Can't wait! Still want to get you in touch with my dad somehow. We'll have to do a fun dinner /lunch in city or something.

11:19 AM  
Blogger cucina testa rossa said...

hey mona - if you plan to hop the eurostar down to paris, let me know! would love to show you a few of my fave places. laura

9:49 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Laura, thanks so much! That sounds fabulous:) Will definitely take you up on it. How is the Eurostar anyway? I've never taken it.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.