Monday, October 24, 2005

Land Thai Kitchen

Swimster just finished what I'm going to call "Hell Month" at school. He's on the quarter system and just took finals. Keep your fingers crossed he did well!
To celebrate the occasion, we had a lot of fun things going on last weekend. Friday night I revisited one of my favorites Kitchen and Cocktails with Fashionista and her mom, only solidifying my rave review for the place. Saturday we grabbed drinks with Fashionista at an East Village bar called Nice Guy Eddies (which I later learned has been written up for its extremely friendly barstaff), followed by a birthday party at Ludo. Just as we were leaving NGE's to head to Ludo, the sky opened up the Niagara Falls of downpours. Needless to say we showed up at Ludo feeling wet and cold and didn't last too long. If you haven't been to either of these and you're a local they're definitely worth a trip. But alas, the theme of my blog is not bars and clubs, I'll leave that to the stay-out-till-5am jetsetters.
Sunday Swimster and I decided we'd do dinner. I didn't have a place in mind, I only had a neighborhood in mind, the UWS. I love the 80s and low 90s on Columbus and Amsterdam and hoped to find a place on my way home from work. This is where my buddy at work G-Man comes in. G-Man came up to me in the newsroom, asked me how my bloggityblog was going, and that he had a restaurant rec for me. Guess where it was? 81st and Amsterdam-the perfect score!
Land Thai Kitchen. A great new find in one of my favorite sections of the UWS.

We got there at around 8:40ish and for a Sunday the place was packed. One couple before us was waiting for a table and surprisingly they told us we only had a 5 minute wait. I had to squeeze in a phone call to Mom and Dad anyway.
We were seated quickly inside the little Thai treasure trove and the only way we squeezed in to our seats was by sucking in our stomachs and with the help of the host shimmying the tables.
Land has a long narrow dining room (not good for big groups-I noticed only one circle table at the very front that fit 4 comfortably, possibly 6) with a long mirror that sweeps from the entrance all the way back to the kitchen. Mirrors make a space seem bigger, right? The coolest thing about the decor was the boxy wooden lanterns hanging from the ceiling. Some groovy architectural student must have designed these, and I meant to ask where I could find one before I left. They reminded me of the popsicle stick creations I used to make in art class, but much more artistically and technically advanced.
The server was friendly and took our drink order right away. I had caught a quick glimpse of an online review before I left work that said try the Thai iced tea. It proved to be one of the most impressive things of the night. It was served to me in this little black ceramic pot. Not a mug and not a bowl but a pot. It was a creamy orange color and tasted like liquid candy. Swimster cringed with one suck of the straw -it was way too sweet for him but I was seriously impressed. If anyone knows the secret behind Thai Iced Tea, I'll pay you for the tip.
Menu Memorables : When Swimster and I watched the appetizers land on the table we both had forgotten what we ordered. Both appetizers appeared similar in their small wrapped doughy pieces. Swimster bit into the shrimp parcel first and I could tell he was pleased. I went for the chicken curry puff and my eyes popped out of my head. It was like firecrackers in my mouth, the flavors were bouncing around and I had never tasted something this yummy in my life. The peppy puff looked like a small pillow on its dish and had caramelized chicken with potato, parsnip, and almond with a cucumber relish. The relish was sweet and added a nice tang to the already award-winning puff. The shrimp parcel was wrapped in a thin wonton skin wrapper that was crisp but flaky at the same time. The "mousse" inside tasted more like just plain shrimp, but the lime curd on the serving dish added a nice sweet taste to the shrimp. Unfortunately I used all the lime curd up with the first bite. If we had just ordered the shrimp parcel we would have been impressed with it. But once we tried the chicken puffs that's all we wanted to eat. Next up, entrees. For the table we decided to share the drunken noodles with chicken. Swimster ordered the massaman curry with lamb and I ordered the wok basil with beef. The noodles were properly cooked but a little bit on the greasy side. We couldn't quite get hold of them with our chopsticks. And Swimster noted there weren't enough of them. The bowl was jam-packed with vegetables so when we finished the noodles, we had lots of tomatoes, water chestnuts, and (too too much) bok choy to eat with our rice. My basil beef dish was simple and delicious. Small shreads of beef with red peppers and glazed in a thai basil sauce with a chili-garlic puree. The sauce was perfect for pouring over my brown rice bowl when I finished with my beef. The beef was just the right texture, not too tender and not too chewy. And I'll admit my eyes were watering as I let out a few sheepish coughs when I mistook a red pepper with a hot one. Swimster's curry with lamb was cooked with potatos, pearl onions, peanuts and carrots in a cocunut milk sauce. The lamb was soft and sweet and melted in my mouth. All I wanted to do was steal dips in its sweet curry sauce the rest of the night.
The service at Land was impeccable. Our server was very friendly and we were never left wanting for water, which helped me with my pepper situation. They quickly cleared empty plates and dinner was served in a timely fashion.
My only beef with Land is its lighting and tight quarters. My thoughts and conversation were slightly outdone by the 2 girls to my left howling about boys and the doctor to my right whose beeper and pager went off every two minutes. I felt the lighting was a little bit on the bright side for my dinner tastes. I prefer subtle and dimly lit dining rooms.
Though not quite the place for romance, Land is definitely the place for Thai food with attitude that will knock your socks off and in my case tastebuds (don't eat the peppers!). And even better, if you don't feel like sucking in your tummy to fit at a table, they deliver.





450 Amsterdam Ave, b/t 81st & 82nd
212-501-8121

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Mona! Each time I read your restaurant reviews it makes me wanna get a plane and fly to NY. I'm taking note of this one, it sounds really good and it's very near from where we usually stay. And you work near there? Besos

5:03 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Mona,

Looks much better in firefox now!

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Swimster congrats on being done w/finals! Hope to see you both soon!!Love, Malibu

PS How is it that you are going to all these unique and fancy restaurants and I am eating frozen pizza? And yet when I do go out it is always to Chile's or Uno's?!?

8:21 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

*Tattum, that's great, I'm so glad! Definitely keep that one on your list. I work in midtown actually, so it was a small hike walkin' but worth it!

*Joe, yay! Thanks! Swimster downloaded Firefox on his computer so I could fool around with it and figure out what the trouble is. Thank goodness it's better now!

*Paz, thanks for the wishes on Swimster's finals :) Definitely check Land out!

*Malibu, there is nothing wrong with frozen pizzas :) Ha, love it! Stouffers or Wolfgang Pucks? Thanks for writing. How are things?? And Chile's and Unos are great too! What are you being for Halloween?

11:54 AM  
Blogger Autumn said...

I agree with tattum. I live in Michigan, but you are making me hungry for New York. I've always wanted to take a bite of that apple.
Happy belated birthday, Mona!
Thanks for your comment on my blog, Spouting Spot.

From another friendly libra!

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's 9.30AM here as I read this and now I just have to eat Thai today. Lunch I'm thinking.

Your blog page is now sitting perfectly for me in FireFox.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

testing testing...

5:50 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Strange, I've been trying to respond via comments all day today and hasn't worked until now!?!

*Autumn, thanks for coming to my site and leaving a comment. Glad you liked it and hope you satisfied your hunger today :)

*Barbara, thanks for letting me know about the format. For some reason when I checked it yesterday it seemed off so I tweeked it a bit. Glad it didn't do any permanent damage. How was your Thai food?

5:55 PM  
Blogger Jn said...

I'd have to agree.
The food at Land is really good, subtle, and... hot. I had the hot pepper experience too :-)
Too bad they don't have enough space between tables.
Have you visited the restrooms? I found them quite original, with a special zen atmosphere.
And also, did you notice that LAND inspired its design on SEA in Williamsbug?

7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you google Thai Iced Tea you will come up with several menus, but you will also come up with a couple of sites that sell loose tea. You brew the tea, add sweetened condensed milk (I blend in a blender, or stir with a whisk) and pour over ice...

Thai Kitchen has a nice mix that doesn't have dye in it! Good luck!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.