Bellavitae
It turned out to be none of the above.

I met him on Minetta Lane in the West Village and low and behold the restaurant he chose was Bellavitae. Now I had never heard of it, but the fun thing about it was he said he found it on the "If you like ...., then you'll like....for less" article on NYMetro. We walked right in and though we were a few minutes early for our reservation, the host was very friendly and sat us right away.
I was immediately impressed by the distressed exposed brick in contrast to the very dark tables and bar counter. It was a bright but romantic setting, perfect for that first date or a dinner for you and yours. The server was very friendly and brought us water and the wine list immediately. We chose a California white because it was a little warm out that evening and we tend to be partial to the weather when choosing between white or red varietals.
Menu memorables: Swimster and I decided to get a "schmorgasboard" of appetizers and one entree each, to get a better feeling for the food. What was interesting about Bellavitae is apparently their "pantry" is well-renowned among other Italian restaurants in the city and a lot of them purchase their ingredients and products from Bellavitae. If the pros like it, we were bound to like it too. Fried risotto with saffron, which looked like freezer-friendly tater tots, were our first bite. They were warm and crispy on the outside and smooth and chewy on the inside. I bit mine in half to see the risotto inside because I had never seen these before. Only complaint was the fried layer was a little thick and outweighed the flavor of the risotto. I didn't notice the
saffron at all. Keeping with the fried theme,we chose fried meatballs as well, pictured here. My dad's jaw dropped when I told him we tried fried meatballs (he prides himself on his homemade meatballs and I think the modern take on a classic Italian staple was kind of a shocker). They were bite size and a little on the salty and drier side, a result I'm sure of the frying process. I think I'll stick to regular meatballs drowning in marinara
next time. The third appetizer we tried was thecrostini of black and green olive pate with egg and anchovy. This was my favorite creation, and surprisingly I even enjoyed the anchovy on top. This dish was rather high in sodium but the minced hard-boiled egg evened out the bitterness and saltiness of the olive and the anchovy. Last but not least (appetizer-wise) we had prosciutto and figs. I have recently been turned on to figs by my Dad who now buys them in the little re-zip fruit bags at the grocery store. The halved figs brought a richness to the
prosciutto I had never had before. They highlighted its chewy texture and cured saltiness.For our entrees we went for simple pasta dishes. Mine simple, Swimster's not so simple. I ordered the orrecchiete, which was lightly doused in olive oil and mixed with small sausage crumbles (not sliced sausage but bits of sausage) and spinach. The pasta had a very soft and homemade flavor to it that was warm and very pleasing. I enjoyed the simple olive oil base with the sausage and spinach. Swimster's dish was black squid ink pasta with calamari in a marinara sauce. This dish made mine look
extremely boring. And what was so fascinating about it, as you'll see here, is the pasta was actually in the form of squid! It totally blew our socks off. And the taste was slightly squid-like too. A truly distinctive dish. The marinara was a little bit on the oily side but didn't take away from the chewy calamari and pasta. The portions at Bellavitae are on the lighter side so you can actually enjoy an entire 3-course meal. We decided, however, to grab an after-dinner drink somewhere else. Bellavitae was close in proximity to Mario Batali's famous Babbo (his other restaurants include Lupa, Esca, Otto Enoteca Pizzeria, and soon to come Del Posto). We have not had the fortune to eat dinner at Babbo but an after-dinner drink was still a treat. We were glancing over the menu outside whilst being heckled
by a drunken patron hounding us to go in, and even swearing to buy us drinks if we did. I was a tipsy fool and thought this guy was being serious. Little did we know when we went inside the entire wait and managerial staff was plotting to try and smoothly oust this dirtbag from the bar. He quickly ditched us to harass two pretty Japanese girls whose night had been already partially ruined by the pompous drunk ass. We chose a couple glasses of port and bore witness to the maitre d' finally having words with said buffoon. He did not leave willingly or without a barrage of threatening words to the bartender, who was calmly going about his business. An entertaining end to a fabulous night.
24 Minetta Lane, off 6th Ave between 3rd St and Bleecker
212.473.5121
12 Comments:
Hi Mona, ah I love the West Village. Such original restaurants. About the frozen bananas, of course you can still enjoy them! I even eat ice cream when it rains. Clearly, the weather has no effect on my cravings.
Jessica, thanks for your comments. Good to know about the bananas. Can't wait to try them. I love the West Village too, now if only I could afford to live there...
Hi Mona! Great post! Next time I go to NY, I'll visit this place. The food looked great! Last time I visited NY, I ate in a small Italian, "Focacceria", 87th MacDougal Street. I remember we had Sorrentinos with funghi porcini filling(they were delicious, and belive me I eat a lot of pasta)they only had 4 or 5 tables, really small, but mmmm. I highly recomend it. Besos
Nice to hear you are enjoying an extended birthday celebration...the best! :) That squid pasta looks good!
MMMMM prosciutto and figs...that sounds wonderful! I have had prosciitto with melon and that is so good! Can't wait to try with figs!
*Hi Tattum, thanks for writing. I'llhave to write that Focacceria in my "to go" list. I love mushrooms and that dish sounds awesome. I love pasta too...I cain't say no!!
*Paz, I hear you! Whenever I get to work and check out the food blogs I'm wishing I'd eaten before going to work. I always just grab something quick on the way.
*Thanks Joey, yes I did enjoy it. And this week I'm taking it a LOT slower. Am spending a couple of days relaxing and recuperating with the folks :)
*Indy Foodie, yes, I hadn't had prosciutto and figs before either but it was amazing. I really great twist on the prosc/melon that Italian places usually serve. I'm not even the hugest fan of melon anyway!
Bellavitae is one of my favorite restaurants in that area. Lovely wines and a super helpful staff.
Brooklyn life, hey thanks for writing. I'm so glad you can related and you love this restaurant too. I'm psyched about this recent discovery of ours!
I LOVE squid ink pasta. On that recommendation alone, I am going to Bellavitae very soon.
Happy Birthday, by the way!
*Nosher, thanks for the bday wishes! How have you been? Goodness the squid ink pasta was a new thing to me, but I must say I will be wanting to try more of it.
That was funny! A california white... Bellavitae has ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY italian wines.
*Anon, oh no, did I forget the wine we ordered? Guess I have to pay closer attention next time. Though I am going to double check their wine list now because I swear it was CALI vino.
Post a Comment
<< Home