Thursday, September 11, 2008

I missed ...

my friend's name being read.
Every year I listen for it.
I feel like I let him down.
2,555 days since my boss called me from a bus saying she saw a plane crash into the World Trade Center.
2,555 days since The New Yorker staff huddled in a conference room glued to the television before we were ordered to leave the office.
2,555 days since I walked over 100 blocks to Harlem to get a train home.
2,555 days since cars in the New Canaan train station parking lot sat abandoned, their drivers would never return.
2,555 days since I slept in my parents' bedroom.
2,751 lives lost.
One second and our lives changed forever.
Seven years ... is anything different?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed the confrontation with myself. I wish I were there in the middle of the disaster, so I could fight my own demons between the flames.

1:47 PM  
Blogger SM said...

i missed my friends name too - first time as well.

its amazing how it doesn't get easier.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mona:

Hugs,
Paz

1:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Seven years? It still seems like yesterday.

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, it still seems like yesterday and in some ways it seems not much has changed, in others, everything has changed.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know it's late for this but i just read this post and it's so true. maybe only a new yorker would really, really understand every word you wrote. it is amazing to me that it has been 7 years.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.