The Anti-V-Day List
Ok, fine. I admit it. I'm a fair-weather Valentine's Day friend. I like 2/14 when I'm dating someone. I dislike it when I'm single. There. I said it. Don't let anyone tell you different because they're lying. That is, if they're female.What's not to like about receiving flowers and cards, lingerie and chocolate (maybe even lingerie that is chocolate), being showered with attention, and being wined and dined on February 14? The anti-Valentine's Day argument is if you're in a serious, healthy relationship, this should be happening every day of the year. Fair. But if you've ever dated the romance-starved species of man like I have, you know they often need the excuse to go and fetch some romance, if slightly faux and contrived. A little printed reminder on the calendar never hurt anybody.
For guys, Valentine's Day is a win-win situation. If they're in a relationship, they're bound to reap the benefits the card-giving, flower-finding and candy-splurging Valentine's Day brings out in them. If they're single, they're also bound to reap the benefits, but of the hordes of like-minded girls living it up and partying "just wanna have fun"-style. I plan to do so tonight at the Sunburnt Cow, the cousin of my favorite Aussie hangout Bondi Road. There's nothing like an all-you-can-drink special, '80s music and good company to make you forget that you're single on Valentine's Day.
I've seen plenty of top ten lists of places to take your Valentine, things to buy your Valentine and places to eat with your Valentine. But what's out there for us singles in the city? Think of this as the anti-Valentine list. After all, not all of New York will be paired off this evening. Find some fun, relax and embrace your independence at some of my favorite spots.
10. Safe to say, head to any restaurant that's not in the Time Warner Center. Every Tom, Slick and Harry will be trying to impress a special someone, whether it be a wife, girlfriend or mistress at one of these restaurants tonight. But you, you will know better.
9. Defy romance with a big, messy burger at J.G. Melon's. It's packed, there are few two-tops and the bar always has plenty of spots to watch your favorite sporting events. Don't forget the waffle fries.
8. Go grab some gritty Chinese food in Chinatown at Wo Hop.
7. Cozy up to some cute prepsters and cold pints at White Horse Tavern. But leave the plastic behind. They only want you for your cash.
6. Like New York City, Tortilla Flats is the party that never sleeps. Yes, you may run into the occasional bachelorette party, but you can't help but get sucked into the atmosphere and the delicious margaritas.
5. If you're planning on heading home straight after work for some QT with the couch and your latest in Netflix arrivals, log onto the delivery Site Seamless Web and order yourself some SuperMac. I recommend the four cheese mac with ground beef.
4. Solo, but feel like getting dirty and devilish? Order one of The Spotted Pig's famous black martinis. They're delish, especially when followed up with some devils on horseback.
3. Treat yourself to some sweets at Magnolia Bakery. Now that the bakery has two Manhattan locations, you have no excuse not to enjoy its deliciousness. If cupcakes aren't your thing, try the banana pudding. If cupcake's the thing, go buy yourself some red velvet. It comes close to being better than any love you might find in the bedroom.
2. Go find some cute surfers and good eye candy at Ditch Plains. Enjoy some white wine with a side of mussels and frites. The booths are so big you'll barely notice the couple making out in the corner.
1. Take a walk down a deserted alley and you'll discover one of my all-time favorites. Try the artichoke dip, steak and the St. Germain cocktail at Freemans. The atmosphere is so chill you could sit at the bar with a book and a pad, drink, and enjoy a hearty meal with or without your buddies.
Enjoy your night everybody! I'm off to go get Sunburnt.
Enjoy your night everybody! I'm off to go get Sunburnt.



6 Comments:
don gave me a card that was intended to be from a dog. now im anti-valentine's day too!
ha! anna that is so funny. i've actually gotten a card similar to that-- two years ago from my ex-boyfriend swimster. it was precious.
How was your night out? Working in an elementary school, I love Valentine's Day. All the kids bring in cards and candy and decorate shoeboxes and envelopes in which to put the cards. It's so fun. We are having a girls night this weekend and exchanging Valentine's Day Cards and yes, decorating shoeboxes. Wish you coudl be there! xoxo
Malibu
I like your analysis of Valentine's day. "I'm a fair-weather Valentine's Day friend" sounds honest and true...
How was your night out?
I had a couple of friends in town that night and the 3 of us went to Sushi Samba. There are worse places to spend V day :-)
You're single again?
mal, it was really fun. i need to write about it. there were no hot aussies involved but there were good drinks and food! how was your weekend? sounds like it was fun. i miss getting cute little valentines from your crushes at school;)
jn, thanks for visiting! i am definitely going to write about sunburnt. sooner rather than later. sounds like you had a good night-haven't been to sushisamba in a while but their capirinhas are MONEY! happy new year. thanks for dropping in to say hello!
barbara, ha, alas, yes, my dear, single again;) hope you're doing well. i'm excited for your livestrong cooking event.
Post a Comment
<< Home