Morning Magnolia
Today is a very special day. January 26 marks Ms. FoxyLady's 28th year on this wonderful planet. Happy Birthday, Ms. FoxyLady and I cannot wait to sing my voice away at the dueling pianos bar with you tonight!!

The good news: Magnolia is now open for business on the upper west side, on 69th and Columbus.
The bad news: Magnolia is now open for business on the upper west side, on 69th and Columbus.
I timed it door to door and Magnolia is located a mere four and a half minutes from my office. Cupcakes are my ultimate comfort food. Whether I'm going through a nasty break up or I get my once-a-month zit on the night of a date, a cupcake solves everything.
I want it white, I want it yellow, I want it red, I want it brown, I want it all.
I announced to my co-workers last week that Magnolia opened and some were stunned speechless.
"The Magnolia?!"
"Yes."
"Wait, on the upper west side?!"
"Yes."
"And five blocks from here?"
"Yes."
"Trouble!"
"Yes." Again.
"This does not bode well for eight in '08."
"What?"
"Need to drop eight L-Bs in '08."
"Whatever, you're married. Who cares?"
I left work and hightailed it to Magnolia 69, not knowing exactly what to expect. I was looking for a little hole in the wall, similar to the original shop downtown. I've only been a handful of times and each time it's like I'm on the trading floor of the NYSE. People yapping and screaming their orders to the apron-donning Magnolite behind the counter. Hands and sugar and cakes and puddings go flying into to-go containers as people shuffle in from their village shopping and back out with their reward. It's a little frightening for the meek at heart.
The uptown girl is nothing like the downtown girl. Magnolia 69 is more busty with her huge storefront. She's probably three times, if not more, the size of her predecessor. There was definitely a crowd but with the large amount of space I didn't feel claustrophobic or unable to access the goodies I wanted. The cupcake boxes are to your far left, along with the grab-and-go trays of vanilla with chocolate frosting, chocolate with vanilla frosting and my all-time favorite red velvet. "Reddddddd....velvet..." Oh, what you do to me. And the cashier is to your far right. Seems a bit unnatural since most people walking in just want to cupcake and scram, but when you grab yours you'll have to push through the people walking in and walk the mini-block to the cashier at the opposite end of the store.
I knew I couldn't very well come home and write about Magnolia 69 without buying goods for the roommates so I picked up a couple options for them, while I grabbed my big red.
The place almost had as many employees in the back prancing around in their pastel frosting-smeared aprons as customers. I imagine there couldn't be a much happier place to work. But with all the people in the back, I was surprised there wasn't more booty in the front of the house for us to loot. The counters were empty, minus a banana pudding and a lonely chocolate cake. Perhaps it was the end of the day and they were sold out of everything a la Paris' Poilane, or perhaps since it had just opened they were focusing on the cupcakes first, extras later? Regardless, I was disappointed in the amount of eye candy.

I hate to say it but my red velvet cupcake had its flaw. I know my roommates loved theirs, but red was a little overdone. It wasn't one consistency throughout the cupcake. The top was definitely a little on the firmer side. A cupcake should be a smooth and soft bite from top to finish and red had too hard of a top. Aside from that, the frosting was on point as was the bottom of the cupcake.

I was in line purchasing my three cupcakes and I overheard a man, most likely the owner, talking to a customer about the opening and their success so far. Interesting he said they're doing even better than they hoped and it's actually backfiring. He said people at his downtown baby walk in, want a cupcake, a spoon of pudding or a slice of cake as they go along their merry way. Folks at Magnolia 69 want six dozen cupcakes, four cakes or two bowls of pudding, so they're a little overwhelmed with the demand. I hope they catch up! Nothing wrong with us uptown kids wanting to throw a little sugar into the party! They certainly have the space and man power to do it. I just hope my cupcake elf takes better care in how long he leaves big red in the oven.
The good news: Magnolia is now open for business on the upper west side, on 69th and Columbus.
The bad news: Magnolia is now open for business on the upper west side, on 69th and Columbus.
I timed it door to door and Magnolia is located a mere four and a half minutes from my office. Cupcakes are my ultimate comfort food. Whether I'm going through a nasty break up or I get my once-a-month zit on the night of a date, a cupcake solves everything.
I want it white, I want it yellow, I want it red, I want it brown, I want it all.
"The Magnolia?!"
"Yes."
"Wait, on the upper west side?!"
"Yes."
"And five blocks from here?"
"Yes."
"Trouble!"
"Yes." Again.
"This does not bode well for eight in '08."
"What?"
"Need to drop eight L-Bs in '08."
"Whatever, you're married. Who cares?"
The uptown girl is nothing like the downtown girl. Magnolia 69 is more busty with her huge storefront. She's probably three times, if not more, the size of her predecessor. There was definitely a crowd but with the large amount of space I didn't feel claustrophobic or unable to access the goodies I wanted. The cupcake boxes are to your far left, along with the grab-and-go trays of vanilla with chocolate frosting, chocolate with vanilla frosting and my all-time favorite red velvet. "Reddddddd....velvet..." Oh, what you do to me. And the cashier is to your far right. Seems a bit unnatural since most people walking in just want to cupcake and scram, but when you grab yours you'll have to push through the people walking in and walk the mini-block to the cashier at the opposite end of the store.
I knew I couldn't very well come home and write about Magnolia 69 without buying goods for the roommates so I picked up a couple options for them, while I grabbed my big red.
The place almost had as many employees in the back prancing around in their pastel frosting-smeared aprons as customers. I imagine there couldn't be a much happier place to work. But with all the people in the back, I was surprised there wasn't more booty in the front of the house for us to loot. The counters were empty, minus a banana pudding and a lonely chocolate cake. Perhaps it was the end of the day and they were sold out of everything a la Paris' Poilane, or perhaps since it had just opened they were focusing on the cupcakes first, extras later? Regardless, I was disappointed in the amount of eye candy.
I hate to say it but my red velvet cupcake had its flaw. I know my roommates loved theirs, but red was a little overdone. It wasn't one consistency throughout the cupcake. The top was definitely a little on the firmer side. A cupcake should be a smooth and soft bite from top to finish and red had too hard of a top. Aside from that, the frosting was on point as was the bottom of the cupcake.
I was in line purchasing my three cupcakes and I overheard a man, most likely the owner, talking to a customer about the opening and their success so far. Interesting he said they're doing even better than they hoped and it's actually backfiring. He said people at his downtown baby walk in, want a cupcake, a spoon of pudding or a slice of cake as they go along their merry way. Folks at Magnolia 69 want six dozen cupcakes, four cakes or two bowls of pudding, so they're a little overwhelmed with the demand. I hope they catch up! Nothing wrong with us uptown kids wanting to throw a little sugar into the party! They certainly have the space and man power to do it. I just hope my cupcake elf takes better care in how long he leaves big red in the oven.



5 Comments:
Interesting, does this mean they don't have the same limit uptown (they cut you off after a certain quantity downtown, don't they?). I can't wait to go, I am visiting NY next week.
where's my cupcake??!?!
I love cupcakes. Like if I could marry one, I would But the cupcakes I've sampled from Magnolia sucked the big one. Dry crusty cake topped with lackluster icing. Like my easy back oven out baked Magnolia. Such a pity.
Cakespy, you should definitely pop in. I'm not sure about the limit downtown but it wouldn't surprise me.
Anna, aw, next time I drop in I will pick one up for you. Any special requests?
PJenn, oh i KNOW you love you some cupcakes ;) I was looking forward to your response. Do they have cupcake shops up in Philly?
I like cupcakes like Homer Simpson loves doughnuts!Duh Oh! Good to see you blogging more.
Post a Comment
<< Home