Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Katz's Deli

photo courtesy of www.katzdeli.com




I know, I know. How behind the times am I? Katz's delicatessen opened in 1888 and it's taken me 118 years to eat there. I've only been in New York for two of those 118 years, but that's still no excuse to have never bitten into a mega-sandwich from one of the Jewish deli institutions. It was a tough call. Carnegie's or Katz's? Katz's or Carnegie's? In the end, because of its place in Manhattan's cultural make up, Katz's won. Oh Katz's pastrami sandwich, where have you been all my life?

It was a miserable rainy day and I ran into Katz's in my water gear, like I had just stepped off Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls. It took me a few minutes to shake off the drips, and I caught a few of the workers behind the counter laughing. But I knew it wouldn't be long before they'd be staring at me in silence and wonder, at how much food I would inhale.

You walk into Katz's and it's lit up like a dentist's office. There are a lot of signs yelling at you that say what to do and where to go but it's all part of the sensory overload. Like I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, I can't smell pastrami and potatoes and read at the same time. Katz's looks like an oversized and overstaffed cafeteria. There's a small "toll booth" to your left when you walk in, which I learned is where you pay after stuffing your face. Someone told me ahead of time, thank goodness, that the ticket you pick up when you walk in is your ticket to freedom from the deli, and freedom from paying the $50 fine if you lose it. I lose movie tickets from the cashier to the attendant so I made sure to glue it to my pocket.

I looked at the far wall and decided to start with the beer first, so I could sip on beer while the guys made my sandwich. The young beer-ista grabbed my ticket and scribbled something on it and gave it back to me. Aha! I get it now. It's my "tab." And the next guy will scratch it out and add to it with each of my orders.

Next stop was sandwich man. A little old man behind the counter stared at me blankly. I turned around to see if he was looking at someone else, but no, I was the one who was holding up his operation. I blurted out, "Pastrami with sauerkraut, mustard and cheese, please." With no questions asked, he turned around and went to work diligently on my sandwich. I thought he was preparing a Thanksgiving feast. He meticulously got his area ready and grabbed for his knife, meat and condiments. I tried not to watch with impatience and wandered off. I read they had potato latkes so I went to discover them. It took me about five minutes to figure out which counter to order them from. Finally, after being directed a few times to the "next" counter, I found my man.

As if I hadn't made enough Katz's bloopers already, after I got all my food I placed my tray down on one of the tables against the wall. MAYDAY! MAYDAY! The server who had remained incognito until that very second came flying out of hiding and into my face. "This is only for waiter service, waiter service. Only waiter service." Ok, ok, ok. You'd think I had picked up my sandwich and smashed it against the picture of Ben Stiller and his family with the owner of Katz's. I moved gracefully and quietly to the tables in the middle, hoping not too many people had picked up on my mistake.

I stared at my sandwich for a few seconds, figuring out how I was going to eat it. In a last ditch effort, I looked around to see if I could copy somebody else's method but there was no one. With my fingertips outstretched I could barely pick up one of the halves, let alone fit it in my mouth. I tried squishing it down a bit, and some of the pastrami snuck out, but at least I could bite into it. The pastrami reuben is now one of my favorite sandwiches of all time. The pastrami was warm and sliced thick and rimmed with pepper. The cheese, sauerkraut and mustard meshed together and oozed out over the pastrami. I went through a whole packet of napkins and ended up using a fork to eat half of the sandwich, but I was very impressed. The latkes were warm and crispy, but I saw a woman with a plate of fries and I immediately had potato envy.

You must go to Katz.

Why are you still sitting at your computer?

Just don't forget your Katz etiquette (and wallet). Keep your ticket close. Be fast and furious when you order. Don't sit in the "table service only" zone, unless of course you plan on ordering from the incognito server. Go with an empty stomach. Eat. K'velen.

205 East Houston, at Ludlow Street
212-254-2246

19 Comments:

Blogger Nazca said...

Now that is a sandwich I can be proud of. Full marks to that place. I'll have to remember it when/if I visit NY, after I've fasted for a few weeks ;-)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Allergic GirlĀ® said...

please try noah's ark for real pastrami: Noah's Ark Original Deli, 399 Grand Street. katz's may have harry and sally but noah's has the goods. it's just a higher plane of pastrami. really!

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lived in NYC all my life and never had Katz's nor Carnegie... Oops. I keep meaning to go, but you know.... haha. I also occasionally hear that they're tourist traps but the sandwiches are huge (and priced accordingly) so it's not high up on my list. Mm, your sandwich sounds divine, and you've kind of scared me with the whole rules thing, haha. I'll get there, one day :)

3:56 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

HOLD UP! For some reason my post has been shortened! Oh no!! Trying to fix it right now. Makes no sense :( Come back for another round :( AAH!

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could go!!! I love good sandwiches places and haven't really found any in nova...

Any future mts w/Jabb :)

Malibu

7:51 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Naz, what is this "if" business? You have to get to New York at some point in your life, no?

Allergic Girl, That's great ! Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely give it a try.

Yvo, tourist traps can in the rare occasion be good traps. I'm struggling to think of other examples of this-ha-but you should give one of them a try. I went for a late lunch at Katz's and there was nobody else in the joint. You should definitely go, it's a one -of- a- kind New York experience.

Mal, you are hilarious. I will definitely have to email you about mts with you know who! Ha!!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Oh, Katz's, how I love thee.

I'm glad you loved it, Mona. That's been a family tradition for us forever. We actually bought a bag of sandwiches one time when we were flying and we had too much food-- people in other rows started bidding on the sandwiches. Total comedy.

Don't forget to tip the sandwich maker a buck or two...

1:57 PM  
Blogger MeBeth said...

You picked the winner - Katz's is sooooo much better than Carnegie in my opinion. Now I'm dying for a reuben.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

BC, DAMN! I did NOT know that rule. Crap, now I feel like a jerk. One more blooper to add to the list. Dude, that's hysterical. I so would have loved to have been on that flight to witness the Katz auction. How much did they go for?! That's great!! I like that idea, actually, flying with their sandwiches. I might have to do that my next flight to Cali.

Mebeth, that is great news! I'm so glad you think that. It seems like a lot of people have been dogging Katz, I'm glad someone else enjoys it like I did:)

7:33 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I don't think a sandwich like that exists in California. It would feed a starving model for a year or so.New York is so cool.

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're supposed to wait while he makes your sandwich!The guy will cut a few slices and put them out on a plate for you to taste while he makes your sandwich.
Also, while beer is certainly acceptable, the beverage of choice is Dr. Brown's cream soda.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Starving models-ha! That's great :) You gotta come visit sometime, Greg, seriously. Bring the whole family.

Mike, ha, yes, I did wander back and get a taste test of the meat he was cookin' up for me. Mmm, I love "free" handouts! I did not know about the cream soda. Good to remember for next time :) Thanks for dropping in!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Backyard Chef said...

We always drank Dr. Brown's Cel-ray soda at Katz's when I was growing up...Definitely an acquired taste...now I like Cherry or cream...but Dr. Brown's is a big part of the "authentic" experience....

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I love your posts! As a recent college grad, I am always looking for cheap eats recommendations in NYC. I'm wondering, do you know of any sites that list discounts for NYC restaurants. Your blog is a valuable resource, but it seems so time consuming to search out the best deals. Thanks!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

BC, I can't wait to try that next time. Any exciting bbq plans for Turkey Day? I will have to check in to see what the king of 'cue is up to.

Chris, thanks for the kind words. I am not too familiar with discount sites. I will have to look into that. I do know you will have to check out NY restaurant weeks when they happen. They're a good way to check out some fancier/more expensive restaurants for a usually affordable prix fixe. Thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment:)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Avery said...

My Father used to take me to Katz's when I was a little child. (That's over 40 years ago) and the place hasn't changed much since then. I recall the signs which read "Send a Salami to your Boy in the Army." I wonder if they've been hanging since WWII.

Katz's is the real deal, rich with culture, stories and more. Now, I miss NY.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Avery, I agree :) No matter what anybody says it does have all that. A co-worker called it dirty yesterday. I disagreed. Yes, it's not the Ritz, but the shoddy kitschy feel is part of their package. Take it or leave it.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, you should check out www.diningfever.com. They always have great deals on New York City Restaurants. Right now there is one for 20% off food at AJ Maxwell's Steakhouse. I ate there with my Fiance, our bill was $96.00 with some wine and after the discount it came to $84.00, for a savings of $12.00! They have too many deals like this one to even mention check it out, they are much better than citysearch or restaurant.com

2:56 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Anon, wow that's a great tip. Thanks for the info!!

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.